• Extraordinaire
[NEW] Black NOC's by The Blue Crown

http://on.fb.me/17XKtpr
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:49:57 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

Re: [NEW] Black NOC's by The Blue Crown
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
The comments on Facebook are pretty funny. The Blue Crown is calling this "the perfect deck". Pssssh.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

atsquare

I've always found NOC decks to be boring and lazy. I'll pass on these.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I like how the NOC deck is a simple, direct deck.

But there's just so much coolness coming out on the 29th that I don't think I'll pick one of these up.

Also, I love how people in the FB comments are complaining about it being the Madison Rounders without the logo.  BeDeceived's Mystery deck has the exact same back design. A simple black block. Plus, the face cards for the mystery deck are stunning.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

But there's just so much coolness coming out on the 29th that I don't think I'll pick one of these up.

Also, I love how people in the FB comments are complaining about it being the Madison Rounders without the logo.  BeDeceived's Mystery deck has the exact same back design. A simple black block. Plus, the face cards for the mystery deck are stunning.

I saw some of the FB comments. Even I think it's not right to compare this to Madison Rounders. It's a color change of a deck that preceded Madison Rounders. The Bedecieved mystery deck had a slight fade to the border edge. Mystery was a cool deck but Bedecieved is now out of the picture.

I owned a few of the original NOC's. With all my options in cards, they were never getting used.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:44:26 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I saw some of the FB comments. Even I think it's not right to compare this to Madison Rounders. It's a color change of a deck that preceded Madison Rounders. The Bedecieved mystery deck had a slight fade to the border edge. Mystery was a cool deck but Bedecieved is now out of the picture.

I owned a few of the original NOC's. With all my options in cards, they were never getting used.

I guess so. Aside from the Style deck, BeDecieved left behind a pretty solid line of cards though.

I got a few orange and blue NOC decks to put together a Cardistry video I've been thinking about. Other than that, I never saw a big appeal to them.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The deck looks cool, but the creativity is a bit lacking. I've felt the same way about the whole series, but that's just me. It can be easily obtained through other companies, whether well-known or not. I actually have a deck, which I did a review on, that looks exactly like these Black NOC's, obtained from makeplayingcards.com. Simplicity is nice, but too simple is too little. I'm more of interested in a deck like the Rounders: simplicity remixed.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:14:05 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'll be honest I never really got the NOC following. I can understand when it was 1st released it's minimalistic clean design may have been eye catching. At 1st glance they do come across as sleek and eye catching but in comparison to other designs and concepts that have been released they don't seem to rise to the top, in my opinion.

Of course my opinion is usually drawn on a complete aesthetic view of a deck, I know that the decks have a marking system, from the cardist's and magicians on the board, how do they handle? I mean if they handle like the end all be all I guess the "Look" can be bypassed a bit. Is there something else about the NOC decks that maybe I'm not aware of?

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'll be honest I never really got the NOC following. I can understand when it was 1st released it's minimalistic clean design may have been eye catching. At 1st glance they do come across as sleek and eye catching but in comparison to other designs and concepts that have been released they don't seem to rise to the top, in my opinion.

Of course my opinion is usually drawn on a complete aesthetic view of a deck, I know that the decks have a marking system, from the cardist's and magicians on the board, how do they handle? I mean if they handle like the end all be all I guess the "Look" can be bypassed a bit. Is there something else about the NOC decks that maybe I'm not aware of?

The Blue Crown first came up with the Crown deck as an relatively inexpensive, commonly-available deck that could be easily used in magic and familiar enough to put audiences at ease.  But it's more like the company's signature deck, and not everyone loves Arrco faces.  I personally enjoy the change of pace now and then.

The NOC deck was an even simpler version of the same concept.  Bicycle stock, standard faces and a totally solid back.  USPC initially balked at making the deck, since a single air bubble in the ink could end up ruining a card.  Sure, they make all-black decks, but they also have various patterns on the card back so a small printing glitch is less likely to go noticed; no such luxury on the NOC.  Eventually, they relented.  The name NOC, Alex Pandrea's invention, doesn't actually have a meaning, though Kevin Reylek once mentioned to me that he was calling it "nothing, only color".  They even had a Facebook contest for it once.  But back to the point.

NOC 1.0 was exceptionally simple - everything 100% standard on the front, a very minimal Ace of Spades and pair of Jokers, plus an extra Queen of Hearts - a useful card for tricks that you'd normally use two identical jokers for.  Perhaps their customers wanted something with just a tiny bit more minimalism to it while still being functional, so NOC 2.0 had a suit marking system that's exceptionally subtle and a slight alteration of the court cards - they were simplified with bands of solid color and fewer details in their outfits, retaining the familiarity that puts spectators at ease while at the same time hewing closely to a minimalist aesthetic.

From the beginning, the NOC deck was meant to be a magician's staple.  It's one of the least expensive decks you can buy that has Magic Finish.  Here in New York, a pack of NOCs ($4.95) is only slightly more expensive than a pack of Bicycle Standards in most shops (usually just above $4).  Bought in bulk, they're even cheaper.  I can actually get Tally Ho cheaper locally than I can get Bicycles in most shops - only $3 a pack.  And I mean locally - there's a fruit-and-vegetable market four blocks from my home that sells them!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/