Author (Read 3917 times)

[Sort of KS] Boss Deck of Playing Cards
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
Figuratively stumbled upon this; it's not a kickstarter in its own right:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/263915147?token=f41a1b6b

It's a reward tier from this kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/draw-like-a-boss?ref=home_popular
With an early bird option for just the playing cards limited to 50. It'll only get made if the book/DVD itself gets funded.

I'm really digging the cards they've shown so far, huge fan of the topic and of the style they chose to do it in. Only shame is that the book's gotta hit its £30,000 goal for these to be produced. It's roughly $11 for the early bird and $15 after. They didn't mention anything about shipping.

Re: [Sort of KS] Boss Deck of Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:44 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I just backed this project for a deck of cards! I like the design a lot and the idea behind it is what interests me as well. Good find! I'm hoping it gets properly funded in time. If not maybe the creators can start anew with just decks :)
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I backed for the deck as well, but the funding has a high goal, and a long way to go. It's worth a shot though. It's very interesting to have the cards as a reward tier.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
I backed for the early bird.  Beautiful design, custom Aces, courts and pips, USPCC, fully two-way ... but as nicknamehere says, this is part of a larger project and it's NOT trending well on Kicktraq (21% with 18 days to go, Kicktraq says that's trending towards a final of just 45%).

By the way, huge props to nicknamehere for finding this amidst unrelated projects, and posting here!

And yes, you can back for JUST the deck of playing cards. £8 early, £12 not early.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
Nice find. I'm in for a deck. looks like a nice addition to the ever growing collection.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
This is great! I just backed it.
A few seconds later, a new card has been released. Check it out (update 7)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM by Pacis »

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
For those interested in the new card but don't feel like checking it out:

"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Is it just me or does that tuck case look... square.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm glad that you mentioned that, Alex. I was wondering if the picture just wasn't displaying properly for me. It looks almost like there's at least a deck adn a half in there! Strangely proportioned mock-up, maybe?

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Extremely nice deck. The back has a very Legend of Zelda feel. Love the pips and court cards too. Picking up a deck.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
 Almost live http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/263915147?token=f41a1b6b

For now, you can get the deck here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/draw-like-a-boss
The news is that you can get a deck for £8 for the first deck and £12 for any additional decks which includes shipping.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Almost live http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/263915147?token=f41a1b6b

For now, you can get the deck here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/draw-like-a-boss
The news is that you can get a deck for £8 for the first deck and £12 for any additional decks which includes shipping.

That same link appears in the first post of the topic.  It may not become live - we're unsure.  It appears to be made as a teaser for the main project, but it would as easily be a "plan B" if funding falls through on "plan A".
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Received this not so long ago from Ash & Eli

Ash and Eli says:
Hi everybody, and thanks for your support for this deck. We hope it is given the chance to exist.. We're so stoked to think we could get these manufactured.

We know how to design a deck but not so much how to market one. Do any of you guys know of any card circles or societies that would like to see this link?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ashdrawsthings/263915147

If you post this around we'll send you out an extra deck for going out of your way to support us :)

All the best,

Ash

You guys already know about it, but back it and spread it further and you get an extra deck (I'm assuming at no cost) :))
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
They've just added a £22 tier for 3 decks :)

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

At current exchange rates, that's just short of US$11 per deck.  $10.95 if you want to be accurate.  I've seen worse - but wait, there's international shipping for people outside the UK to consider, yes?

EDIT: nope.  Just checked.  Seems like an oversight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:44:36 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:40 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

It's great that they finally realize the demand for the deck. But I guess that's not their focus so they didn't really think it would be a hit. The project doesn't seem like it'll make it without a huge boost or a higher funding per day rate.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's great that they finally realize the demand for the deck. But I guess that's not their focus so they didn't really think it would be a hit. The project doesn't seem like it'll make it without a huge boost or a higher funding per day rate.

I'd say that's it's finally dawned on them that the deck of cards can become the outlet through which the video gets its funding - otherwise they wouldn't be adding deck-only tiers.  Let's face it, it's making additional pledges for them they wouldn't have otherwise received.  When it comes down to it, if you REALLY want your project made, you'll "reward" whatever the hell you can make money on to do it.

They are getting funding at a good clip, but yeah, their goal is pretty high.  I'd bet if they offered uncut sheets it would help!

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
It does seem like cards will have to be their saving grace now. It seems a good portion of their recent funding has come from people backing the card tiers. An uncut sheet would look pretty neat with this design. Sad though, that the saving grace might be something that was meant as a side reward tier. Either way, whoever backed would be happy the project gets funded, no matter what the funding was for right?

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It does seem like cards will have to be their saving grace now. It seems a good portion of their recent funding has come from people backing the card tiers. An uncut sheet would look pretty neat with this design. Sad though, that the saving grace might be something that was meant as a side reward tier. Either way, whoever backed would be happy the project gets funded, no matter what the funding was for right?

It's not sad - it's shrewd.  There are a number of projects on KS where the reward tiers don't actually contain any of the items being created by the project, especially when some projects don't actually create items, per se.  Some create events, and offering tickets to the event will attract local backers but have little appeal for anyone living more than 50-100 miles away, so they have to offer something different to get those investors interested.  Some create items that are terribly expensive, so they have to give something else away that functions as an adequate reward for lower-level investors.

This project is a mix - some tiers contain the object being made, but many don't.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 03:59:53 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
It's not sad - it's shrewd.  There are a number of projects on KS where the reward tiers don't actually contain any of the items being created by the project, especially when some projects don't actually create items, per se.  Some create events, and offering tickets to the event will attract local backers but have little appeal for anyone living more than 50-100 miles away, so they have to offer something different to get those investors interested.  Some create items that are terribly expensive, so they have to give something else away that functions as an adequate reward for lower-level investors.

This project is a mix - some tiers contain the object being made, but many don't.

I guess I would consider it sad because that's not the true purpose of the project. Shrewd if they purposely are using cards as the method to fund a book project as try to play the cards off as a side reward tier.

What always made me curious were the tiers that had trips as a reward. I assume that the air fare as living arrangements aren't usually included in the reward. So as you sad, it's only an incentive to those that are local. I guess they're banking on local backers to be interested.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I guess I would consider it sad because that's not the true purpose of the project. Shrewd if they purposely are using cards as the method to fund a book project as try to play the cards off as a side reward tier.

What always made me curious were the tiers that had trips as a reward. I assume that the air fare as living arrangements aren't usually included in the reward. So as you sad, it's only an incentive to those that are local. I guess they're banking on local backers to be interested.

The "true purpose" of any project is to see its goal reach fruition, often though not always with the end result being an ongoing business concern.  People operate under the impression that KS is a glorified Amazon for pre-purchases of goods to be sold - nothing could be further from the truth.

The only reason that KS isn't yet offering microshares of stock instead of "rewards" are SEC regulations - but it plans to do so in the near future, pending some regulation changes.  If I went to Wall Street and bought shares in Apple, am I supposed to be disappointed that they didn't come with some free iTunes downloads or a MacBook?  They (KS) don't allow charities for the same reason that charities don't issue stock and aren't publicly traded.  If those SEC regs didn't exist in the first place, you would have been purchasing microshares in AetherCards, not Vortex decks made by them.

Some "travel rewards" are limited to including everything but the airfare, some are simply access to an event leaving you to fend for yourself for travel and accommodations, and some are actually all-inclusive.  Alex's project for the Vortex deck had a top tier of $5,000 - it included first-class airfare to Las Vegas, luxury hotel accommodations for 2-5 days (investor's choice), dinner at a world-class restaurant and a Vegas show of your choice with Alex and a one-on-one meeting with him to discuss the playing card industry, his next deck project, investment opportunities along those lines, etc - plus 13 decks, a framed uncut, a framed art piece and a commemorative certificate.  The only other requirement beyond the cash was that you had to be a US resident of at least 18 years old.  It's a common-enough practice to include "pie-in-the-sky" investment rewards, travel-related and otherwise, for people on the high end, though they're rarely selected.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Alex, the tuck may in fact BE square!

I got my Stealth KS decks in today and the first thing that I noticed was how incredibly thick the tuck is! I immediately thought about the picture above, and wondered if maybe they had a prototype from the same company. Check the photo below...the Ornate Emerald (standard Bicycle tuck box thickness, I presume, is 17.3mm think, and the Stealth tuck is 24.4! That's 30%, or so, thicker! If you angle it lie the Boss pic, the proportions look identical!

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The first Grid deck from 4PM Designs has sort of a squarish image on the page as well.  It's computer-generated, the proportions might be a bit off.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
As of this post, the project containing this deck as a reward has been fully funded with a little over 3 days to go!. So for all that have backed this for the deck, seems like this project will come to existence. :))

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:57 AM »

nicknamehere

• Newcomer
This shindig ends on Friday and I was wondering if it was an oversight, like Don said, about the shipping cost not being included for the playing cards because everything else did. Then I realized that this was catering to UK people (where it appears everything else is being made, hence shipping costs everywhere) but the decks would be printed in the US because it's USPCC and therefore, there was no need for a US shipping charge.

So, yea. No additional shipping costs and picking up 3 for $11 each ain't bad.