Total Members Voted: 21

[Poll]Air Cushion VS Magic Finish - Handling Preference

Author (Read 10218 times)

[Poll]Air Cushion VS Magic Finish - Handling Preference
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Okay guys, John was going to post this but as you all know, he was banned for sharing industry secretives, so I'm doing it instead.

I know a lot of you are in love with magic finish for various reasons, but air cushion also has its advantages. From a strictly handling point of view(with no regards to durability), which one do you personally prefer? I'm curious to see how many of you still have a preference for good old air cushion.

GO!
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: [Poll]Air Cushion VS Magic Finish - Handling Preference
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I prefer Magic finish, mostly because the decks printed on that tend to be the custom decks that also have a good stock, bicycle stock isn't great so then you can't really tell what the finish is like.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:24:32 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Um, yeah okay, except that's not what I was asking at all. You're supposed to choose a finish, not a category of decks. :-\
Just imagine every single deck comes in both, ignore the question of durability, and THEN make your choice. :P

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
ok sorry, I would in those cercumstances choose regular Air Cushion then, it doesn't smell bad and the decks I have with it that are of quality feel IMO better than Magic finish, Magic finish IMO wears off faster.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
i picked magic because when you break it in the finish seems to stick together well in packets, but yet is still smooth for fans.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
ok sorry, I would in those cercumstances choose regular Air Cushion then, it doesn't smell bad and the decks I have with it that are of quality feel IMO better than Magic finish, Magic finish IMO wears off faster.
If you haven't changed your vote yet, please do so in order to make the poll more accurate. ;)

i picked magic because when you break it in the finish seems to stick together well in packets, but yet is still smooth for fans.
That's the one thing I love about magic finish. When broken in, it performs great regardless of the move's requirements. The less slippery feel of standard air cushion makes it feel more secure in the hands though, which is why I still like both.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
A more accurate description for this poll would be "Standard" or Magic.  "Air Cushion" is little more than textured stock and not an actual finish (at least not any more).  They kept the name for marketing purposes.  There's no difference in finish between Bicycle's Air Cushion, Tally Ho's Linoid, Bee's Cambric, Aristocrat's Linen, etc.  At one time, yes, there was, but no longer.  USPC only offers Standard and Magic, while a third finish is being tested on selected Vortex decks.

I like Standard Finish, but Magic Finish has an excellent glide to it - even after using it for a while, I find it slips better than a Standard Finish deck of the same age/usage.

BTW: you should consider expanding the poll to include the following:

Standard Finish on a textured stock
Standard Finish on a smooth stock
Magic Finish on a textured stock
Magic Finish on a smooth stock

So far, there's exactly one smooth-stock deck on the market with Magic Finish, and that's CARC's most recent Bee deck printed in black with silver with "Ivory" finish.  They kept the name because they preferred the traditional Bee finish names, but both the textured and smooth versions of that deck used Magic Finish to compensate for the handling issues that can occur with the metallic ink on the deck.  That deck's a really nice performer, and as much as I love textured stocks, I still have a soft spot for their oft-neglected brothers, the smooth stocks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I chose Magic Finish. For me, the handling of the 2 finishes don't make big difference, I mean they are both good for handling even though there's a little difference between them. However, the description of the first post was very accurate, it mentioned "durability" and actually I can not ignore durability  (I tried but in vain)  because of the weather here. So I have to pretend I chose Magic Finish with no regards to durability...

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I chose Magic Finish. For me, the handling of the 2 finishes don't make big difference, I mean they are both good for handling even though there's a little difference between them. However, the description of the first post was very accurate, it mentioned "durability" and actually I can not ignore durability  (I tried but in vain)  because of the weather here. So I have to pretend I chose Magic Finish with no regards to durability...

It's really impossible to talk about handling without talking about durability.  If you don't, you're talking about performance straight out of the box - any USPC deck will perform well straight out of the box, with Mavericks and any gilded decks being the major exceptions.  It's why deck reviews where a reviewer cracks open the deck for the first time on camera don't make sense to me; that's not a review, it's a preview of what the cards look like and little more.  Stocks are also a major factor in handling; leaving them out is like reviewing a car based strictly on its exterior and not its interior.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I voted for Magic Finish because it feels much smoother and allows for better fans and spreads. In my use of magic finish decks, I have not come across a deck thats finish wore off.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I chose Air-Cusion because I like it's secure feel much better.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »

Dudeee

• True Member
Firstly, I want to start by saying that I don't have very much experience with the magic finish. With whatever experience I have, below is my opinion.

I voting for the Magic finish. The cards stick together to a certain extend yet spreads like butter.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
A more accurate description for this poll would be "Standard" or Magic.  "Air Cushion" is little more than textured stock and not an actual finish (at least not any more).  They kept the name for marketing purposes.  There's no difference in finish between Bicycle's Air Cushion, Tally Ho's Linoid, Bee's Cambric, Aristocrat's Linen, etc.  At one time, yes, there was, but no longer.  USPC only offers Standard and Magic, while a third finish is being tested on selected Vortex decks.

I like Standard Finish, but Magic Finish has an excellent glide to it - even after using it for a while, I find it slips better than a Standard Finish deck of the same age/usage.

So far, there's exactly one smooth-stock deck on the market with Magic Finish, and that's CARC's most recent Bee deck printed in black with silver with "Ivory" finish.  They kept the name because they preferred the traditional Bee finish names, but both the textured and smooth versions of that deck used Magic Finish to compensate for the handling issues that can occur with the metallic ink on the deck.  That deck's a really nice performer, and as much as I love textured stocks, I still have a soft spot for their oft-neglected brothers, the smooth stocks.

Oh believe me, I understand the difference very well. Actually, to stay consistent with USPC's own terms, "magic finish" would have to be renamed "magic coating", the term "finish" itself usually refering to the texture(air cushion VS smooth). The reason I went with those terms for the poll is that a lot of people don't understand the difference and I didn't want to have to explain. Also notice the + before magic finish, implying it is added on top of the previous option. ;)

The poll is really about magic finish itself, and whether or not you like the changes it brings to the handling at its peak. The finish of the paper is a different factor.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oh believe me, I understand the difference very well. Actually, to stay consistent with USPC's own terms, "magic finish" would have to be renamed "magic coating", the term "finish" itself usually refering to the texture(air cushion VS smooth). The reason I went with those terms for the poll is that a lot of people don't understand the difference and I didn't want to have to explain. Also notice the + before magic finish, implying it is added on top of the previous option. ;)

The poll is really about magic finish itself, and whether or not you like the changes it brings to the handling at its peak. The finish of the paper is a different factor.

OK, I hear you, but there might be some mixed facts.

USPC themselves called Magic Finish by that name.  The prototype name was Performance Coating, which Ellusionist liked better and opted, apparently with USPC's blessings, to continue to use.

You're talking about the finish of the paper like it's something different.  Finish is just that, the final step in creating the card so it is finished - the clear coating used to protect the printed card surface and give the cards some glide and slip against each other and a playing surface.

The texture of the paper is, I think, what you meant when you were referring to the finish of the paper.  At one time, finishes did actually create the texture - they were applied with special cotton or linen rollers and those rollers gave the card its texture, be it linen, air cushion, whatever.  Today, though, the texturing is on the paper before it meets the printing process.  There's textured (a.k.a. Air Cushion, Linoid, Cambric, Linen, etc.) and there's smooth (a.k.a. Ivory, and I don't think other names were used).  Again, in history, there were separate chemical finishes known by those brand names.  But today, it's simply branding.

Any modern finish would probably outperform one of the older finishes if the cards were printed using the same methods.  But those old-school printing, cutting and finishing processes are what made a deck like Jerry's Nugget handle the way it does.  Unless someone really got down and dirty making "craft decks" the old way, it's unlikely we'll ever see those processes used again.  Today, we're lucky we can get cards that are traditionally cut here and there.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:21:47 AM by Don Boyer »