Author (Read 787 times)

Hello (Kinda)
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hey guys,

My name is Aaron Wales, I am from Canada. I used to be a very common user of the forus here. But I have been away for awhile, but I'm glad to be back on here. I have been away from card collecting for a little while now. Used to be a heavy spender on anything that came out. But I hit a wall and quit buying anything for a bit there. But the addiction has pulled me back lately and I hope to talk more with everyone on the forum.

It looks like alot has changed around here but kept the same basis. Is the forum under new ownership?

Also let me know all your favorite decks from the last 3-6 months so I can get caught up!

glad to be back,
Aaron

PS: I am starting to downsize my collection a little bit so check out my tread in the STISO board! I think there are some very good deals there and I am open to offers
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:24:55 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Re: Hello (Kinda)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:54:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys,

My name is Aaron Wales, I am from Canada. I used to be a very common user of the forus here. But I have been away for awhile, but I'm glad to be back on here. I have been away from card collecting for a little while now. Used to be a heavy spender on anything that came out. But I hit a wall and quit buying anything for a bit there. But the addiction has pulled me back lately and I hope to talk more with everyone on the forum.

It looks like alot has changed around here but kept the same basis. Is the forum under new ownership?

Also let me know all your favorite decks from the last 3-6 months so I can get caught up!

glad to be back,
Aaron

PS: I am starting to downsize my collection a little bit so check out my tread in the STISO board! I think there are some very good deals there and I am open to offers

Hey, Aaron - welcome back!

Yes, the forum is under new ownership.  Alex sold the forum to Tom Dawson back in December.  As you probably know, he's the president of 52 Plus Joker and co-author of the Hochman's Encyclopedia, the "bible" of vintage American playing cards up to 1950.

I'm the head administrator here and chief operating officer.  Tom is the owner/president, his wife Judy and magician Lee Asher are vice-presidents.  Tom and Lee are also administrators.

There's been change at UC as well - I don't know if you frequent the place or not.  Mike Ratledge, a fellow 52+J member, is the new owner there and there's a much greater degree of cooperation between the two boards.  No more of the petty name calling and other shenanigans, thank the gods.

We've introduced a few new things and changed some old ones - the LOLAQ is gone and we have a board for vintage decks, A Cellar of Fine Vintages.  Deck Battles was merged into Deck Reviews.  There's a members-only board for 52+J members - if you're in the club, mention it to Tom or Lee and they'll fix your rank so you can get access to it.

We also introduced "Discourse Agent" company accounts with sticky topics, designed to act as the official company mouthpiece for promoting their upcoming products and interacting with and answering questions from our members - we presently have three: Expert PCC, Legends PCC and Kings Wild Project.  It also allows individuals in the company to use their individual accounts for their own identity rather than the official company identity; Discourse Agents can be used by anyone in their company they designate to speak on the company's behalf.

There are a few more positive changes taking place in the near future - the best thing I can tell you is "stay tuned!"

Favorite decks in the past handful of months?  Hard to say, really.  I've scaled back my deck buying dramatically.  The "theme meme" of Dia de los Muertos has been spreading through the deck community, finally ranking up there with Cthulhu, steampunk, zombies, decks with the name "Madison" (as in Daniel) in the title and other heavily-used theme ideas.  I like Uusi's "Hotcakes" deck - it's a very playful design.  In the non-KS world, Randy's new "Brazil 2014" deck for TBC is very colorful and looks like a fun deck - I'm not even a soccer/fĂștbol/World Cup fan, but I want to get my hands on a few soon.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As I re-read your post, Aaron, I probably ran into a similar situation - spending too much on cards, reaching a break point, stopping altogether, then returning in a scaled-down way.  The simple fact is that now there's so many projects out there, both on Kickstarter and in retail shops, that it's become very difficult to keep pace - only the wealthiest of the wealthy can afford to get everything that out there.  There comes a point where you have to get a lot more picky and choosy about what you decide to spend your money on and how much you intent to spend.  To not do so means you're either unhealthy about your hobby or far richer than I am or will be any time soon - perhaps even both.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Welcome [back] Aaron - we especially welcome Canadians here!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club