You are Here:
New to the forum

Author (Read 3180 times)

New to the forum
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer
Hello.  I am new to the forum here but not to card collecting.  I have been collecting decks for almost 3 years. I can't get enough lol. Ellusionist black tiger red pip was my first deck to collect and introduced me to the world of card collecting.

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:08:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome to the Discourse - how do you like it here so far?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer
I like it a lot. I have been reading thru the forum as a guest for a week and like the information and wanted to b able to start contributing to the forum and participate in trades.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! So, tell us, about how many decks do you own?

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer

I haven't done an official count. I have just about every T11 deck, ellusionist deck and Dan and Dave. As well as some classics like tally ho, bicycle, bee etc. if I were to guess I would say 200 is a safe number. What about u?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I haven't done an official count. I have just about every T11 deck, ellusionist deck and Dan and Dave. As well as some classics like tally ho, bicycle, bee etc. if I were to guess I would say 200 is a safe number. What about u?
Right now, after 8 months of collecting, I'm between 210 and 220 (I counted but lost count) lol, and very very few duplicates.
In 2 weeks, at one point, I went from 20 decks to 350, but because of lack of money, I had to sell a bit more than a 150, before slowly buying and trading for some more. Do you just collect or do you do magic and flourishing as well?

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer

Right now, after 8 months of collecting, I'm between 210 and 220 (I counted but lost count) lol, and very very few duplicates.
In 2 weeks, at one point, I went from 20 decks to 350, but because of lack of money, I had to sell a bit more than a 150, before slowly buying and trading for some more. Do you just collect or do you do magic and flourishing as well?

I am going to do an official count later today hopefully and I'll let u know the more up to date number.  I remember I went from like 5 to like 50-60 in 2 weeks, but 350 in 2 weeks is crazy.  I can't get enough, the more I buy the more I want lol. My wife helps keep me sane by letting me know when money is tight, which sucks. Sometime I sneak an order or two. I collect and do card magic as a hobby, but not performing except for family. I want to get into flourishing tho. What about u?

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I started out as a beginner magician and learn some basic flourishes (fans, springs, etc). Then I got into collecting. Today I am still a collector, but also an intermediate flourisher. But the discussion is about you. What else can you tell us?

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer
As I said before I started collecting because of the black tiger deck I saw on YouTube. I looked it up and found ellusionist's site and went crazy. Then I found ou about all the custom decks like d&d, t11 and David blaine's SS series. I like black decks a lot and especially love the new magic finish. Borders on the decks don't bother me as much as some complain about.  What else do u want to kno?

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Welcome to the forums! - By any chance, is you favorite card the Ace of Spades? - What's the most prestigious deck collected in your collection?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer
Welcome to the forums! - By any chance, is you favorite card the Ace of Spades? - What's the most prestigious deck collected in your collection?

Yes it is lol. I would say my most prestigious deck would be my 1st edition Ghost deck in the lucite gold bolted case my wife found for me or Gold Monarchs. What about u?

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
For me, it would have to be the same, 1st Edition Ghost deck, which I bought off of Ebay. Those things, from what I've seen, are hard to come by. : D
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! Do you collect decks only or uncut sheets too?

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 09:49:44 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer

I have now counted and was way off.  I have a total of 412 decks with very little duplicates.  The most duplicates I have are Tally ho circle back, but total only 12 of those are tally ho.

For me, it would have to be the same, 1st Edition Ghost deck, which I bought off of Ebay. Those things, from what I've seen, are hard to come by. : D

My wife found mine on ebay as well, she said it was very difficult to find, but when she did she thought it was a good price.

Welcome to the forums! Do you collect decks only or uncut sheets too?

I only collect decks, I have no where to hang or store uncuts? What about you?

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
412, that's insane! That's probably among the top 10 most decks for anyone on these forums (after people like Alex, Don, Vmagic, TigerKnee etc.) Do you own any vintage decks?

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sorry to go off-topic, but DUDE - you got 330 decks in TWO WEEKS?!?  Did you win the lottery or mug a dealer?

I have now counted and was way off.  I have a total of 412 decks with very little duplicates.  The most duplicates I have are Tally ho circle back, but total only 12 of those are tally ho.

412, that's insane! That's probably among the top 10 most decks for anyone on these forums (after people like Alex, Don, Vmagic, TigerKnee etc.) Do you own any vintage decks?

I currently own somewhere near 500 different deck designs and well over a thousand cards in total.  Five vintage decks.  The oldest is 120 years old, give or take a year.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer

Yea i just can't get enough. Unfortunately I don't believe I have any vintage decks. What would classify as a vintage deck?

Sorry to go off-topic, but DUDE - you got 330 decks in TWO WEEKS?!?  Did you win the lottery or mug a dealer?

I currently own somewhere near 500 different deck designs and well over a thousand cards in total.  Five vintage decks.  The oldest is 120 years old, give or take a year.

Wow that's alot of decks. How do you guys store your decks? I'm currently thinking of replacing my current method which is storing them in these plastic containers on shelves.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hey there Ace of Spades,
Sorry it took so long for me to reply to this. but for what its worth, WELCOME TO THE DISCOURSE
I'm glad you are finding it nice here.
Wow you have a lot of decks in your collection. ^-^ I only have about give or take 10 here in Beijing and only about 40 something back in the Philippines. and about 10 in transit. I can't wait to reach the hundreds! :P

We're looking forward to your posts.

Shuold you have any questions/concerns/suggestions feel free to message any of the admin and mods, we'll be more than happy to help you out :)

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
No, I didn't win the lottery, unfortunately. I just used up all my savings and Christmas and Birthday money from the past 5 years. Totally worth it  ;)
You should try using shoe boxes to store cards. It's you're not trying to display them, it's nice, cheap, and protects from humidity and other stuff that could damage decks. Plus, it fits 40 decks perfectly, and if you open the lid, it looks very nice.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yea i just can't get enough. Unfortunately I don't believe I have any vintage decks. What would classify as a vintage deck?

I'd say a deck that's at least 20-25 years old.  An early nineties deck would be vintage, anything older would be vintage, anything from around mid-nineties to present day would NOT be vintage.

Wow that's alot of decks. How do you guys store your decks? I'm currently thinking of replacing my current method which is storing them in these plastic containers on shelves.

I don't even have plastic containers.  A plastic container with a few dessicant packs would be fine in many environments, especially if the container seals air-tight.  I'm going to need a better solution soon, because my shelves are running out of space.  (My fiancee is going to want to kill me...)

Only use a dessicant if you live in an area that tends to get humid rather than arid; cards actually need a certain amount of moisture in them to function.  Dried-out paper tends to be brittle.  A dehumidifier in the room where they're stored would probably cover all the bases (or a humidifier in a drier, desert-like place).

No, I didn't win the lottery, unfortunately. I just used up all my savings and Christmas and Birthday money from the past 5 years. Totally worth it  ;)
You should try using shoe boxes to store cards. It's you're not trying to display them, it's nice, cheap, and protects from humidity and other stuff that could damage decks. Plus, it fits 40 decks perfectly, and if you open the lid, it looks very nice.

Five years of savings?  Wow.  I'm kinda speechless.

Shoe boxes are great in some circumstances, but in places with high humidity, paper-eating insects or a potential for flooding, they'd be a disaster waiting to happen.  Plastic containers sound good, particularly if you have ones that close air-tight.  They're more impervious to the assorted enemies of paper products.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:46:42 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Shoe boxes are great in some circumstances, but in places with high humidity, paper-eating insects or a potential for flooding, they'd be a disaster waiting to happen.  Plastic containers sound good, particularly if you have ones that close air-tight.  They're more impervious to the assorted enemies of paper products.
Well the boxes are actually in a Wooden Trunk. That way the decks are protected and stored in a nice looking box.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

AceOfSpades

• Newcomer
I wish my plastic containers were air tight, but they are not.  At least they are off the floor and stored in a cool environment.

Well the boxes are actually in a Wooden Trunk. That way the decks are protected and stored in a nice looking box.

I don't know what to say to the 5 years of savings other than if it were me I probably would have done the same thing.  A wooden trunk is not a bad idea.  Like you said its keeps the boxes safe.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Ace of Spades, let me begin by saying WELCOME TO THE DISCOURSE!!!
This is a great forum and everyone here is friendly.
So you're more of a collector and magician hobbiest? That's pretty cool!
And 415 decks is mad, nice collection. My collection is sitting around 100 decks. I am a cardist and magician and I am a member of Joker and the Thief. Check our vids btw lol.
I really hope you enjoy yourself, we have a lot to offer here!
Settle in and most importantly have fun!!!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8