You are Here:
Cleaning/Restoring old cards?

Author (Read 2694 times)

Cleaning/Restoring old cards?
« on: November 07, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »

rodb

• Newcomer
I go to many estate sales and sometimes come across very old decks in very grimy condition, is there any safe way to bring them back to usable condition?  I passed on very old (probably 20's-30's) Bicycle deck that was very dirty and sticky but complete

Re: Cleaning/Restoring old cards?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
I've tried to clean a few decks, but only when they have small dark spots from hand grime. When I don't foresee any risk, I very lightly use a fingernail, a used dryer sheet, or (rarely) a plastic razor blade. I leave the edges alone. I used to try a soft eraser, but I don't recall having luck with that.

"Sticky" is also a hard word to interpret here.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »

rodb

• Newcomer
Thanks!
Sticky to me means they won't fan hardly at all (they feel stuck together, clumps)

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks!
Sticky to me means they won't fan hardly at all (they feel stuck together, clumps)

It will largely depend on what's causing them to stick together - common grime found on the edges you might be able to work with, but PB&J stains would be a totally different ball game.

With modern cards, I've taken a DRY paper towel and pushed hard along the edges in an outwardly direction - it's helped to remove some of the dirt and improved performance.

Bear in mind as well that when it comes to old cards, they weren't made to the same standards as a modern deck.  The finishes weren't as good, they weren't always embossed, they're often found used...  I wouldn't let performance issues stop me from getting a vintage deck if it was something rare or beautiful.

There's a trick that I know some sports cards traders have used for removing grime on the edges of cards, though it's something you'd want to test first.  A very light application of lighter fluid rubbed gently with a cotton swab or a paper towel might get the dirt off more effectively - but you want to do it in a ventilated area away from open flame and you want to test it on a card of the same type that you don't care about first before applying it on an entire deck.  Sports cards don't have the same coatings modern playing cards do, so modern cards would likely be stripped of their plastic coatings by this method of cleaning.  However, older playing cards might be less negatively impacted because of the differences in coatings used at the time - you'd really want to test it, perhaps on a joker, an ad card or even a torn/damaged card, to see if it will ruin the cards; I can't emphasize that enough.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
We have used lighter fluid with great success - cleaning and removal of sticky paper, paste, adhesives, etc.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:13 PM »

rodb

• Newcomer
Thanks guys!!
 I will try this next time I see an old deck.  I love old cards and won't leave them the next time I see some at a sale

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
We have used lighter fluid with great success - cleaning and removal of sticky paper, paste, adhesives, etc.

That's good to know!  Have you tried them on more modern cards or just vintage/antiques?  I know the varnishes used these days are rather different than back then so I didn't know how good of an idea it was to try lighter fluid for cleaning.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/