You are Here:
Interested in these Midway Plastic Coated Risque Cards. Legit? Price?

Author (Read 805 times)

MMyslewski

• Newcomer
Here's the pics from the ebay listing. Seems okay to me. Any of you guys have some insight into it?

Re: Interested in these Midway Plastic Coated Risque Cards. Legit? Price?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »

andrew daugherty

• 52 Plus Joker Member
It is an Arrco standard bridge deck and pretty typical of the "pin-up" decks of the late 40s and 50s. No special aces, court cards or jokers. Nice to find if it is still sealed. Midway is one of many brands for standard Arrco decks. 

I have some trouble reading the artist's signature. Note that the bottom of the deck leaves blank space for an advertiser's line or two. The playing card companies sold these decks both with the blank spaces and overprinted as advertising premiums.

I did not find a mention of the artist (based on my attempt to read the signature) in "Stacked Decks", the reference book on erotica/pinup playing cards. Mark Lee Rotenberg, Quirk Books, 2006. (Excellent book on the genre. Nicely illustrated.)

Similar decks are still out there in new condition, so the supply isn't scarce. Unless they are mint, sealed decks of Elvgren, MacPherson, Vargas, et al., you should find prices affordable.

The cards do appeal to erotica/pinup collectors as well. Many card collectors collect the pinups as singles.

Nice addition to any collection.

Chris Turner
52 Plus Joker member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

HarryW

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
The artist for the deck is Knute "K.O." Munson (1900-1967).  A mint condition single deck may bring as much as $20.  This particular deck is often paired with another displaying a painting by Munson and a mint double deck set may bring as much as $50.  The estimated year of issue is 1960.

Harry Wastrack
52 Plus Joker member & former club president

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Harry - glad to see you've finally made your first post!  You've GOT to make a new topic over at "Introduce Yourself" and let the newbies get to know you a little better!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/