Kickstarter Card and Deck Projects Report - replaced by New Deck Report on PCP

Author (Read 15416 times)

Re: Kickstarter deck projects update
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's Sunday morning, May 13th (and Mother's Day in the U.S. and perhaps some other parts of the world!), and welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.  Yes, I'm a day late, but at least I'm not also a dollar short...

-------------------------------------

What's up this week on "The Rundown" - what progress has been made since last week?

Fri 11 May 2012, 02:43 UTC - Amber Tapper's R@n$0m Playing Cards: $752 raised, $10,000 goal, 6%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  What a surprise...

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 UTC - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,885 raised, $12,000 goal, 15%.  A "huge" gain this week - exactly ONE DOLLAR.  With a mere day-and-a-half remaining, it looks like Alfonse Prince won't get to electrocute one of his decks after all.  Aw....

Thu 31 May 2012, 18:56 UTC - Chuck Brodd's Phil's Poker Cards:  $1,768 raised, $14,000 goal, 12%, up $254.  Even a lowered price on the decks and a removal of the hard case haven't been enough to boost this deck more.  The current lowest price offer is $20 for TWO decks, not just one - but it's limited to 100 and the first 34 are already spoken for.  It would be a shame to see this one fail, 'cause those cards look great on the backs.

Sat 02 June 2012, 19:49 UTC - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards:  $7,022 raised, $15,000 goal, 47%, up about three grand from last week.  That's a big jump, and shows that this deck may have the legs to meet the goal before the final buzzer.  The minimalist design is awesome - if only it didn't cost so much.  They did reveal it's a 5,000-deck print run, and that international shipping rates are pretty cheap.  That might make the difference to overseas investors.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 UTC - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $1,179 raised, $3,500 goal, 33%.  Up $107 this week, again not as strong as last week.  At three weeks remaining, it's not impossible to hit this goal, but neither is it likely.  This deck had some serious copyright problems anyway and would likely have never seen the light of day once those copyright owners caught wind of it.  And still not a single update from the deck's creator...asleep at the switch?

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 UTC - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $401 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Up ten bucks.  Twenty-one backers, twenty-one days remaining.  It would take a serious miracle.

Tue 05 June 2012, 19:41 UTC - Juan G. Perez' Bicycle Eclipse Playing Cards, by Hidden Mirrors: $6,857 raised, $10,000 goal, 69%, up over $3,700 from last week.  If this deck keeps that pace, it will be funded by this time next week.  Despite the design issues, it seems there's enough people out there who like the deck as it is.  Different strokes, I suppose - more power to 'em.

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 UTC - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $110 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  I hope Nick's not holding his breath.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 UTC - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $26,773 raised, $5,000 goal, 535%.  That's nearly ten thousand dollars in a single week - 200% of his goal, right there!  The astounding thing about it is that this project's deadline is still over a month away!  He's upped the ante a little, adding not just Eco Clips but new prints and even a behind-the-scenes book about the making of the deck!  I strongly believe we'll be hearing more from 4pm Designs in the future...

There's a new deck this week to introduce to you in "New Business" - but I've run out of time!  I'll continue this tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, it's Monday morning, and time to wrap this puppy up!

On to "New Business"...

Sun 10 June 2012, 22:44 UTC - Kevin von Kolen from Phoenix, AZ has an interesting mission statement: "My Name Is Kevin, my goal is to get a buisness going with the help of kickstarter and get out there and be successful."  Wow.  How many fifth-graders do you know that have the same goal?  Either that, or they still want to be police officers and fire fighters...  His CUSTOM LEGENDARY PLAYING CARDS (54CARDS) 52+2 Jokers (and that's a word-for-word quote from the project title!) are absolutely nothing like any deck you've seen before - because I've never seen such a lazy design in my entire life!  They have funky color-swirlies that were cribbed from Google clipart, atrocious court cards, an obvious one-way back and even the pips were appropriated from elsewhere on the Internet.  Better still, his cards come in "clear plastic cases" - y'know, like those cheap and cheesy souvenir decks they sell at tourist traps the world over?

I can imagine what was going through his mind when he came up with the idea - "Gee, I want to get a business going.  Let me poke around on Kickstarter.  Hey, those playing card projects seem to make a LOT of money!  I'm gonna make one of THOSE!"  It's obvious from the word "go" that he's never done proper design work - in fact, this is so bad, I'd question whether he's even used playing cards before!  He has a low goal, only $5,000, so it's plain as day that he's not using USPC for these (I think they'd cringe at the request!), but he's not even close to building up steam to get them made.  With 27 days to go, he's raised $437 of a $5,000 goal, putting him at 8%.

And now, for this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Thu 10 May 2012, 03:59 UTC - Ariana Osborne's Cartes Infernales: $26,042/$3,666 (710%).  SUCCESSFUL.  She did indeed break the overfunding multiplier record for a playing card project, formerly held by Cosmo Solano's Bicycle Spectrum deck at 704%.

Fri 11 May 2012, 08:23 UTC - Sa'ahrah Ester Felix's "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck: $141/$5K (3%).  UNSUCCESSFUL.  Unchanged for four of the five last weeks - on the next-to-last week, it actually LOST some funding.  There will be no "awakening" for this pack of cards...

Sat 16 June 2012, 16:59 UTC - Doug Beasley's Vision Quest Photo Assignment Cards are an interesting project: it's not a wacky game system, it's not tarot, no "awakening" per se.  Y'see, Doug's a photographer, and created this project as a means by which to spark the imagination of fellow photographers and photography students.  Using an elegant Japanese-influenced design, each card has a photo assignment on it, some very simple, some quite difficult.  Call it a way to get out of "photographer's block"!  And it's all wrapped in what has to be the most unique box I've ever seen.  From out of nowhere, this projects skyrocketed past it's goal and is still building steam.  It's at $7,091/$5K, 141%.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 UTC - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $30/$5.5K, rounded down to 0%.  While he has plenty of time remaining, it doesn't look like second time's the charm for this project.

That should just about cover this report.  Hopefully, I'll have next week's report at the usual day and time, ready for your consumption.  Meanwhile, have a good week and keep shuffling!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:42:19 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Card/Deck-Related Kickstarter Projects - Updated WEEKLY
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Thanks for doing this Don, great job. The Grid deck is the only one I backed and it's nice to know it will be funded.

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for doing this Don, great job. The Grid deck is the only one I backed and it's nice to know it will be funded.

No sweat - glad I could help.  It's because people like you appreciate this that I keep doing it.  Collecting all the information and plugging into these reports is VERY time-consuming.

EDIT: this week's report is finally completed!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:42:57 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:05 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hey @Don are you going to add those Legendary Playing cards? hahahahah!!!!
Or should I say the Legendary Google images playing cards?

http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2509.0

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/405472496/custom-legendary-playing-cards-54cards-52-2-jokers?ref=live

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

Hey @Don are you going to add those Legendary Playing cards? hahahahah!!!!
Or should I say the Legendary Google images playing cards?

http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2509.0

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/405472496/custom-legendary-playing-cards-54cards-52-2-jokers?ref=live
He just added them in his update... Probably reluctantly LOL

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
Looks like the Legendary project is now but a legend.

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »

codehog

I am lost and confused, why would they go so far and then pull out with 26 days to go. It may of had issues but it looked doable.

JJH

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
It looked to me like Kickstarter shut the project down. The creator's account was deleted. One reason this can happen is a creator trying to back their own project.

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
It looked to me like Kickstarter shut the project down. The creator's account was deleted. One reason this can happen is a creator trying to back their own project.
I think the creator purposely closed his project and shut down his account. I don't see why he would want to back his own project anyways. If he funds it himself it's not like it's going to change our opinions and he'll have to pay and extra 10% to kickstarter and amazon.

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
You may be right, but I have heard of instances where KS project creators tried to push a project to get funded by self-financing. I've seen other instances where a project was going to fail and an obvious family member stepped in and donated a bunch of money. It seems odd that this guy would delete his account, as well. Anyway, it's history (for now, at least  ;) )

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This is the email I received after I emailed him and told him "I was a huge fan of his awesome cards..." ;D

"Legendary" Kevin wrote...
I'm not sure kick starter suspended it and nothing changed from when it was approved.  Ive modified them a bit and am gonna put them back on soon.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A likelier bet is that he used appropriated images that he had no rights to use.  Or he's lying through his teeth to try saving face because his project was on a crash-n-burn trajectory...  :))

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Sunday morning, May 20th, only eight days to Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer in the U.S., and welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

Please note that all times for project endings are given in Universal Coordinated Time, or UTC.  This is the same as Greenwich Mean Time for all practical purposes, displayed in 24-hour time.  Subtract four hours for US Eastern Daylight Time, seven hours for US Pacific Daylight Time.

What's up this week on "The Rundown" - what progress has been made since last week?

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,907 raised, $12,000 goal, 16%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  Now I can rest easier knowing this deck is not out there waiting to assault my eyeballs...

Thu 31 May 2012, 18:56 - Chuck Brodd's Phil's Poker Cards:  $2,352 raised, $14,000 goal, 16%, up roughly $500.  He's making steady gains, but Chuck's deck only has 11 days to go.  It doesn't look good.

Sat 02 June 2012, 19:49 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards:  $8,162 raised, $15,000 goal, 54%, up about eleven hundred from last week.  Funding, while still coming, has slowed for this deck.  Less than two weeks remain to raise the other half of the funds needed to get this project off the drawing board and into your deck collection.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $1,299 raised, $3,500 goal, 37%.  Up $120 this week, a little better than last week.  Less than two weeks remain, and Ray hasn't posted a single update to this project.  It's pretty clear he's never designed a deck or run a Kickstarter before; people respond when they hear back from the designer.  He probably thought the project would simply speak for itself.  It does - and it's calling out for help!

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $401 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Unchanged from last week.  Two weeks to go.  No updates from Clint Griffin.  Very little chance of success.

Tue 05 June 2012, 19:41 - Juan G. Perez' Bicycle Eclipse Playing Cards, by Hidden Mirrors: $7,171 raised, $10,000 goal, 71%, up only about $300 from last week, a serious drop (down 90%).  He still has sixteen days left, but if he can't build some buzz around this deck of his, he's not going to make it.

Sun 10 June 2012, 22:44 - Kevin von Kolen's CUSTOM LEGENDARY PLAYING CARDS (54CARDS) 52+2 Jokers: $452 raised, $5K goal, 9% - CANCELED.  It could not have happened to a more appropriate deck.  At 21 days to go, the plug was pulled, and the designer's Kickstarter account was even deleted on top of that.  I've heard of running away with your tail tucked between your legs, but this is a step beyond that.  Posing as an adoring fan, our own Russell contacted the creator, who claimed that Kickstarter were the ones who shut it down for reasons unknown to him and that he plans to modify his project and bring it back to KS.  (You don't have to resort to threats, Kevin!)  :))

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $85 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  He actually managed to LOSE $25 in funding from last week.  I hope Nick's not planning to make card design his sole employment.  He's got four weeks.  It ain't long enough.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $30,896 raised, $5,000 goal, 617%.  Up just over three thousand from last week.  33 days to go.  This deck is a monster!  It will be made, guaranteed - and if the pace continues, 4pm Designs may be doing more than just a five-thousand-deck print run for his nearly-one thousand backers.  Taking a cue from Encarded, they're also offering six of the eight printing plates as rewards.

On to "New Business"...

...there is no new business!  No new playing card decks were introduced this week!

And we're up to this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Sat 16 June 2012, 16:59 - Doug Beasley's Vision Quest Photo Assignment Cards: $8,288/$5K, 165%.  Up nearly $1,200.

Mon 11 June 2012, 17:36 - Warren Tusk of Los Angeles brings us The New Tarot.  His take on the subject - this is a "sequel" to the standard 78-card tarot deck, adding 77 new cards in the form of four new suits and a continuation of the Major Arcana from XXII all the way to XLII (that's 22 to 42, for those who are Roman-numeral challenged).  Why 77 and not 78, like the original tarot?  The designer says it's because he has no analogue for the Major Arcana card 0, The Fool.  The artwork is hand-painted in that sort-of photo-realistic style commonly found on the covers of many sci-fi/fantasy novels, and some pledge rewards include being painted into the deck as the subject for a particular card!  If you're into traditional tarot and want to break your routine a little, something like this might be just the thing you were looking for.  The project's at $3,880/$7,500, 51%.

Sun 17 June 2012 06:05 - Aimee Whatley of Portland, OR is working on the Archetypes Tarot Deck, taking the traditional images of a standard tarot deck and updating them for the modern age by finding modern analogues to those images and their symbolic meanings.  Her work is all-photographic, with some use of digital editing and manipulation.  I like the images myself, but some might not appreciate her version of "The Tower" from the Major Arcana - the Twin Towers on 9/11/01 after the planes hit and before their collapse.  There's no denying there's some artistic talent at work here.  Like the New Tarot, above, she's also offering at some pledge level to have you photographed for inclusion in the art for one of the cards in her deck.  The one most serious drawback this project has would have to be the reward level to get a single deck: $65!  I understand that it's meant as a work of art as much as it is a functional tarot deck, but that's kinda pricey, especially when competing projects offer a deck for less than half as much.  It's currently at $150/$3K, 5% and four weeks to go.

Thu 28 June 2012, 00:57 - Another project out of Portland, OR comes to us from a 25-artist team calling themselves "The Tarot Collective".  Their project is aptly named: The Collective Tarot, Round III.  This is a unique tarot deck using original suits and Major Arcana cards (in some ways resembling the New Tarot deck), but with a more pen-and-ink style of art gracing the cards' faces, and the imagery is largely modern (just like the Archetypes Tarot Deck).  Round I was a 500-deck print run from 2008, Round II was a 750-deck run from 2010, both courtesy of Eberhardt Press - the demand is apparently strong enough to warrant a third printing, at least in the opinion of the Collective.  Again, the only major obstacle I see for this deck is the pricing, just like the Archetypes deck - cheapest deck is $30, but the reward is "somewhat limited" at 1,000 backers.  Might as well think big, right?  After the first thousand, the decks are $40 a pop, though they do go back down to $30 when buying either multiples or other add-ons like their "Ace of Bones" t-shirt.  This project is at $13,609/$20K, 68%, with over five weeks remaining.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $30/$5.5K, rounded down to 0%.  Unchanged from last week.

That's the big picture on cards over at Kickstarter.  Have a good week and keep shuffling!

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 03:08:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Saturday morning, June 2nd - my apologies for missing last week; I was in Toronto with my fiancee, Lee Asher and Tom & Judy Dawson (the authors of the collected edition of "Hochman's Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards").  Suffice it to say I had a great time and wished my visit was longer.  Now, let me welcome you to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

Please note that all times for project endings are given in Universal Coordinated Time, or UTC.  This is the same as Greenwich Mean Time for all practical purposes, displayed in 24-hour time.  Subtract four hours for US Eastern Daylight Time, seven hours for US Pacific Daylight Time.

Thu 31 May 2012, 18:56 - Chuck Brodd's Phil's Poker Cards:  $2,443 raised, $14,000 goal, 17%. UNSUCCESSFUL.  It's a shame, because I liked the card designs.  Perhaps he'll give it another try...

Sat 02 June 2012, 19:49 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards:  $9,647 raised, $15,000 goal, 64%.  At fourteen hours remaining, it doesn't bode well for this deck.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $1,509 raised, $3,500 goal, 43%.  This one's in even worse shape as ULTRAVIOLET, with only 18 hours remaining.

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $391 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  This one lost ten dollars in the past two weeks.  I get the feeling that some designers simply toss a deck out there with no thought whatsoever to promotion and advertising.  At 37 hours to go, this one's a lost cause.

Tue 05 June 2012, 19:41 - Juan G. Perez' Bicycle Eclipse Playing Cards, by Hidden Mirrors: $8,605 raised, $10,000 goal, 86%, up about $1,500 from two weeks ago.  At three days to go, it's not impossible to cross the finish line on this one - but only if they can roughly raise the pace of funding to about 400% of what it is presently.  Since they're promoting re-investment by literally giving decks away, Juan might just do it.  It helps that he's been getting the word out and visiting message boards like this one.

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $110 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  It looks like he found the $25 he lost in funding two weeks ago, but this project's at an utter standstill.  He's got 15 days to go and there's no hope in sight.  (What a relief!  Those cards were an eyesore.)

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $38,120 raised, $5,000 goal, 762%.  Up about 150% from two weeks ago, roughly $7,500.  This deck is an unstoppable machine.  20 days left and blowing the doors off the other deck projects.

On to New Business...

Sun 8 July 2012 22:00 - out of Sarasota, Florida comes Dave Huber's Custom Artistic and Photographically Unique Deck of Cards.  That's simply the title of the Kickstarter project, not the finished deck.  This project uses a total of 36 models posing in various attire to create a Victorian/Gothic feel to the imagery.  The model pool will be equally split between gender and skin tone.  He plans to use light-skinned models to represent one of the suit colors and dark-skinned models to represent the other suit color.  I got a look at some of his work (he includes links to his sites on the project home page), and it could very well become a gorgeous deck.  The finished deck will be, according to Mr. Huber, printed in poker size on casino-quality stock; I left him an inquiry on what printer he's using, but I'm inclined to doubt that this is a USPC job.  The project's biggest negative is the reward structure.  There are zero rewards that offer more than one deck, and the decks aren't cheap - $25 a piece.  Higher rewards include a 2013 calendar with images from the deck and an art book displaying all the cards and other pertinent information about the shoot, signed and dated by him.  It certainly doesn't look like he has the mass market in mind for this and he's set a rather high goal to reach.  With a bit over five weeks to go, this project stands at $25 raised, $15,809 goal, rounded down to 0%.

And we're up to this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Sat 16 June 2012, 16:59 - Doug Beasley's Vision Quest Photo Assignment Cards: $9,568/$5K, 191%.  Up about $1,500 in two weeks.  Funding has slowed, but this one's already over the top, so it doesn't really matter much.

Mon 11 June 2012, 17:36 - Warren Tusk's The New Tarot: $5,482/$7,500, 73%.  With a low goal and about a week and a half to reach it, this one could become a success - but it will be close.

Sun 17 June 2012, 06:05 - Aimee Whatley's Archetypes Tarot Deck: $900/$3K, 30%.  With fifteen days left, she really needs to find ways to step up the funding or this deck won't get made.

Fri 22 June 2012, 18:39 - Portland, Oregon appears to be a hotbed of tarot activity, with yet another tarot deck project from Richard Fox entitled The Symbolist Tarot Deck.  The deck is a full 78-card tarot utilizing artworks from the Symbolist period from the late 19th century throughout Europe.  The MSRP for the deck will be $25, but backers on KS will only pay $18, less if pledged for in bulk, right down to a retailer's package going for $12.50 a deck.  The deck presently stands at $1,804/$8K, 22%, 20 days left.  That's not a lot of time - I hope Richard is promoting the hell out of this deck.

Sat 23 June, 22:55 - Adam Blodgett of Olympia, Washington has a charming take on the tarot in his project, The Chibi Tarot.  "Chibi" is a Japanese term - the literal meaning is "short person" or "small child", but it's more commonly referred to when describing things that are small and cute, particularly images or figures of people or creatures, and sometimes this type of work is called "super-deformed" when representing characters with small bodies and large heads.  Adam's starting with just the Major Arcana cards, intending to use any overfunding from this set to create new items to sell based on the deck, like keyrings, stickers, etc., as well as to help fund a full 78-card tarot deck of the same theme.  You can get the digital version of the finished cards for as little as $5, and the physical deck, printed 3.5 inches by 6.5 inches, for $25.  Higher reward levels include sketches, a book on how to use the cards, a tarot reading and even getting your image on one of the forthcoming Minor Arcana cards when they're produced.  The thing is that no one reward includes more than a single deck - he's definitely not considering retailers in this.  But considering that this deck's only made of Major Arcana images, it probably would have been a tougher sell to them anyway.  Mr. Blodgett's nearly halfway to his goal, $2,409/$5K, 48%, three weeks remaining.  He's got an excellent chance of reaching that goal.

Thu 28 June 2012, 00:57 - The Tarot Collective's The Collective Tarot, Round III: $18,545/$20K, 92%, about three-and-a-half weeks remaining.  I'd be extremely surprised if this didn't meet its goal.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $45/$5.5K, rounded down to 0%.  Going nowhere fast.

That's the big picture on cards at Kickstarter.  Have a good week and keep on shuffling!

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 04:37:53 AM »

Zim

And still, no normal purple deck... I wanted this.

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Well, thank you Don! It looks like this week lots of projects will fail, some deserving to succeed IMO. Hey, it's life. Hopefully they'll come back better than before!

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 11:19:07 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hey @zim, The NOC from HOPC has plain purple decks. :P If you really just wanted a plain purple one you can go with them.
the Eclipse is really cutting it close. I wonder if they will make it

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »

Zim

Hey @zim, The NOC from HOPC has plain purple decks. :P If you really just wanted a plain purple one you can go with them.
|:
I wanted purple deck with S&M back style, and this one had it.
Btw, I planned buying NOC deck - but I got to the shipping part and it was too scary.

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

|:
Btw, I planned buying NOC deck - but I got to the shipping part and it was too scary.
The designer of the deck is, I believe, on these forums. If he lowers his goal to 10,000 and goes for a second try, I'm pretty sure he'll make it.

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

|:
The designer of the deck is, I believe, on these forums. If he lowers his goal to 10,000 and goes for a second try, I'm pretty sure he'll make it.

I'm assuming you're all referring to the Ultraviolet deck.

Nathan, it's not so easy to arbitrarily reduce the goal to get the deck made, especially in the figures you're talking about.  Without enough cash to fund the printing, packaging and shipping, the project will screech to a halt.  What would they leave out by slashing their budget by a third?  Would they make people come get the decks themselves and to hell with the deliveries?  Or maybe they'd just stick stamps on the tuck boxes and bricks and simply hope that they reach their destinations intact?  They could try skimping on the printing part, but if they do, there's not really much there worth packaging and shipping, now is there?

I'm sure there's some wiggle room in their budget, but one-third is a huge chunk.  And let's not forget that they are trying to make at least some profit on the deck - sure, it's a labor of love, but love doesn't pay the gas and electric bills.

Did you hear they found a less-expensive way to ship overseas?  If you haven't check the shipping prices since opening day, you might want to take another look.  I really like the NOC deck in all its colors, but purple fans will love the purple deck.

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »

Zim

I'm assuming you're all referring to the Ultraviolet deck.

Nathan, it's not so easy to arbitrarily reduce the goal to get the deck made, especially in the figures you're talking about.  Without enough cash to fund the printing, packaging and shipping, the project will screech to a halt.  What would they leave out by slashing their budget by a third?  Would they make people come get the decks themselves and to hell with the deliveries?  Or maybe they'd just stick stamps on the tuck boxes and bricks and simply hope that they reach their destinations intact?  They could try skimping on the printing part, but if they do, there's not really much there worth packaging and shipping, now is there?

I'm sure there's some wiggle room in their budget, but one-third is a huge chunk.  And let's not forget that they are trying to make at least some profit on the deck - sure, it's a labor of love, but love doesn't pay the gas and electric bills.
I think the problem of this deck was the price, the faces and the advertising.
The price was high compared to other kickstarter decks.
The faces are very creative and innovative, and some might see them as weird.
The advertising just wasn't enough.

Did you hear they found a less-expensive way to ship overseas?  If you haven't check the shipping prices since opening day, you might want to take another look.  I really like the NOC deck in all its colors, but purple fans will love the purple deck.
In fact, I checked the shipping prices only in the opening day...
Thank for the advice, much better prices.

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 04:14:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Sunday morning, June 9th (oops - it was the 10th!) and time for another edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

Sat 02 June 2012, 19:49 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards:  $9,784 raised, $15,000 goal, 65%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  BUT, don't despair!  They're restructured the rewards list and started their SECOND ATTEMPT at making their goal!  The NEW project can be found here, and it presently stands at $7,265 raised, $15,000 goal, 48%.  The new ending is at Thu 05 July 2012, 21:57.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $1,527 raised, $3,500 goal, 44%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  In a way, this is a good thing.  Can you imagine what quality work $3,500 would buy?

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $391 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%. UNSUCCESSFUL.  This deck just didn't stand a chance at all.

Tue 05 June 2012, 19:41 - Juan G. Perez' Bicycle Eclipse Playing Cards, by Hidden Mirrors: $11,314 raised, $10,000 goal, 113%.  SUCCESSFUL.  Juan's project was teetering on the brink for a little while, but a full-court press in getting the word out combined with additional decks added for certain rewards made just the right combination he needed to pass the finish line and then some.

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $110 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  Unchanged since the last report.  It's on life support, waiting for the plug to be pulled.  7 days remain.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $41,450 raised, $5,000 goal, 829%.  Raised about three grand since I last wrote about this deck.  4pm Designs just managed to hit ALL the right buttons in reaching its core constituents.

Thu 05 July 2012, 21:57 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's  ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards: $7,265 raised, $15,000 goal, 48%.  See the first entry on this list for more details.

Sun 8 July 2012, 22:00 - Dave Huber's Custom Artistic and Photographically Unique Deck of Cards: $25 raised, $15,809 goal, rounded down to 0%.  Totally unchanged from last week.  This has the potential to be a gorgeous deck, but the reward structure rules out retail buys, it really is expensive, and there's virtually no mock-ups of the possible finished product.  This would be different if it was some drawing or a computer-created design, but it's a photographic project.  I don't think you can make a good mockup of a playing card featuring a photo of a model - without the photo or the model!  It's really a shame, but let's hope it picks up steam, and soon.

On to New Business...

Mon 16 July 2012, 22:30 - Straight out of Chicago, Seth Thomas and Spencer Rohan (a.k.a. WoC Cards) brings us the War of Currents Playing Cards.  This Bicycle deck has one of the most intriguing and well-planned themes I've ever seen.  The "War of Currents" played out worldwide roughly from the late Victorian Era to near the beginning of The Great War (that's World War I, to those people less anachronistically inclined).  America was just barely beginning to develop electricity as a public utility, but two competing formats went head to head against each other, vying to be the chosen format going into the future.  Alternating current was developed and promoted by Nikola Tesla (the inventor of the Tesla coil), while direct current's chief proponent was none other than the Wizard of Menlo Park, Thomas Alva Edison.  There's much more detail about the war in this Wikipedia article, for those who want to learn more.

The deck has so much detail and thought put into its design, right down to remembering its Bicycle roots with images of two bicycles on the back of every card.  There's images of the two main "combatants" in the war and their supporters divided between the red and black suits, the pips and face-card backgrounds are custom designed with excerpts from actual patent application images, the two ad cards tell some of the story about these two brilliant scientists - and on top of all that, it looks absolutely great!  Bonus rewards include pendants, belt buckles, prints, posters, and the most interesting "artifact" I've ever seen in a Kickstarter project: a one-of-a-kind "Steampunk Ace" - the deck's Ace of Spades reproduced on gold-colored plastic with black vinyl print!  That's got to stoke the collector in someone out there...

This project "current"-ly stands at $6,202 raised, $8,000 goal, 72%, with 36 days to go.  It really launched into a powerful start and I'd be completely shocked if this deck wasn't a huge success, earning at least a few multiples above the goal.

Mon 11 June 2012, 17:36 - Warren Tusk's The New Tarot: $7,743/$7,500, 103%.  In about a day and a half, this deck is getting made!

Sat 16 June 2012, 16:59 - Doug Beasley's Vision Quest Photo Assignment Cards: $10,330/$5K, 191%.  Up about $800.  The money still keeps coming in for this one.  It's really a cool concept, designed to spark creativity.

Sun 17 June 2012, 06:05 - Aimee Whatley's Archetypes Tarot Deck: $985/$3K, 30%.  Up only $85 with just six days to go.  This one doesn't look like it's got the "oomph" it needs.  It's a shame; it's an attractive deck.

Fri 22 June 2012, 18:39 - Richard Fox's The Symbolist Tarot Deck: $2,908/$8K, 36%, 12 days left.  Roughly $1,100 up from the last report is very good - but it might not be enough in the time remaining.  Mr. Fox has actually checked into this message board, having discovered my review page from the analytics for his project page.

Sat 23 June, 22:55 - Adam Blodgett's The Chibi Tarot: $2,824/$5K, 56%, 13 days remaining.  Up only about $400, it doesn't look like it's enough of a boost to get to that goal in time.

Thu 28 June 2012, 00:57 - The Tarot Collective's The Collective Tarot, Round III: $21,078/$20K, 105%.  As predicted, the goal has been met and there's still 17 days to go if you want to get in on the action - it's a sure thing!

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $45/$5.5K, rounded down to 0%.  It's completely unchanged from last report with 19 days to go.  I think it's safe to say this project is dead in the water.

That's all for now.  Have a good week and keep on shuffling!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:43:14 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey, guys - a little bump here (and a shameless ploy to get an extra deck of cards)!  :))

The Kickstarter project ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards by beta17 has hit the 50% mark!  With 23 days to go, they're building steam - come get in on the action!

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2012, 04:25:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Sunday morning, June 17th and Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.  For the first time ever, I'm actually getting to celebrate Father's Day - and no, I didn't have a baby!  My future wife has a son who lives at home with us! Now that that's out of the way, it's time for another edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

I'll start off as usual with "The Rundown" - what's up, what's down, what's sideways and pear-shaped with the playing cards projects from last week?

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $120 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  No one here ever expected this deck to survive.  Only 8 hours remain.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $42,727 raised, $5,000 goal, 855%.  Up about a grand-plus from last week.  This is definitely one for the record books - this guy knows how to promote a deck of cards, that's for sure.  I look forward to their next project, as this one will be over by the time I log my next report.  Oh, and don't forget - there's less than a thousand decks left that haven't been promised to investors, so if you want in, what the hell have you been waiting for?

Thu 05 July 2012, 21:57 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's  ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards: $9,565 raised, $15,000 goal, 64%.  Up exactly $2,300.  Things are looking MUCH better for this deck on the second time around.  With about two-and-a-half weeks left, it's far from a sure thing just yet.  I expect something like what happened with the Bicycle Eclipse deck - a photo finish, hopefully with this deck ahead by a nose!

Sun 8 July 2012, 22:00 - Dave Huber's Custom Artistic and Photographically Unique Deck of Cards: $51 raised, $15,809 goal, rounded down to 0%.  Wow - this deck had an excellent concept, but it's got zero momentum out of the gate and doesn't appear to be hurrying up any time soon.  In addition to the issues I mentioned about this deck last week, I have not seen or heard one peep out of the deck's designer - there's absolutely no promoting in card collecting circles at all.  Another of many decks designed by people (and Kickstarter project creators) who thought they simply had to post it and everyone would come running...  Dude, you gotta promote, promote, PROMOTE, or you're dead.

Mon 16 July 2012, 22:30 - Seth Thomas and Spencer Rohan's War of Currents Playing Cards:  $8,169 raised, $8,500 goal, 96%, with about a lunar month left.  It's up nearly two grand from last week (and my apologies for misquoting the goal amount last week, it was NOT $8,000).  This is pretty much a sure thing with so much time and so little distance to cross.  Electrical engineers everywhere, rejoice!  :))

And now for New Business - what new deck projects have sprung up in the past week?

Well, I have two decks for you, and each in its own special way is probably one of the quirkiest decks you've ever seen coming out of Kickstarter!

Wed 11 July 2012, 14:21 - Ana Cortez from Sante Fe, NM presents "The Book of Knowing" - Extraordinary Playing Cards.  In a project that's part homage to her dearly-departed father's artwork and part divination deck, Ms. Cortez has taken selections from her father's collection and is using them as the faces for a rather unique deck of playing cards.  Scratch that - they're playing cards only in the sense that they have the usual thirteen values, four suits and two jokers that make up your average Bicycle deck, but the resemblance stops right there.

She personally describes the deck as "perfect for meditation, inspiration, divination, card playing, story telling, or simply to appreciate as art pieces."  Note that "card playing" was quite a distance down that list...  I wouldn't call a deck that's three inches wide and four-and-a-half inches long (that's TWICE the size of a bridge deck, folks!) "perfect for...playing cards" by any stretch of the imagination.  Were it not for the fact that this has the standard playing card deck features to it in terms of deck composition, I'd sooner file this with the tarot decks I list in "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" below.  Many of the rewards include an e-book called "Playing Card Oracle" and/or a live reading with Ms. Cortez herself.

Magicians would likely pass because the art would distract from any trick you used them for (plus they have images that print into the bleed on some of the faces).  Flourishers would need a whole new set of skills to work with cards this big.  So, buy it for the art, buy it for reading your past and/or future, but don't buy it because you're looking for a new deck for your beer-and-pretzels poker game next week.  The project is at $1,123 raised, $6,260 goal, 17% with three-and-a-half weeks to go.  I left her a question about who's manufacturing the deck for her, but I'm thinking that the answer won't include the letters U, S, P or C anywhere near each other...

Fri 20 July 2012, 06:59 - Prepared to get "brain-Washington'd": out of Tacoma, WA, by Amy McBride and Maija McKnight (jointly known as Tacoma Makes), comes Tacoma Artist Playing Cards, and that's got to be the most times I've ever written "Tacoma" in a single sentence!  This isn't your typical big-deal USPC project; while it's true USPC is making it, it's actually got more in common with a well-made tourism deck.  Fourteen artists join forces, design 54 cards between them, and every single one is a popular or noteworthy location in the city of Tacoma, except the Jokers, which will be caricatures of two famous "Tacomans" (or would "Tacomi" be more correct?  Maybe Tacomians?).  While I'm sure it will look gorgeous, it's got limited appeal for people not interested in Tacoma, unless they happen to specialize in collecting tourism decks.

What makes it crystal clear that Tacoma fans are their target audience is that all deck rewards are listed in dollar amounts that DON'T include even domestic shipping, never mind international!  The preferred method of delivery is actually in-person pick-up!  Everything else costs extra.  This, combined with all the rewards except for the $1 pledge including invitations (standard or VIP) to the launch party, and that the cheapest reward to include a deck is $20, makes this deck a real specialty item and not meant for the world at large, but just the parts of it that exist in - where else? - Tacoma, WA!  I'm really surprised at the number of big-ticket rewards people have pledged for - this is clearly aimed at and meant for very loyal locals.  This project is at $8,535 raised, $13,000 goal, 65% with just over a month remaining 'til the deadline.

And now, this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Mon 11 June 2012, 17:36 - Warren Tusk's The New Tarot: $8,148/$7,500, 109%.  SUCCESSFUL.  Looks like there were just enough people interested in the idea of a "sequel" to the traditional Tarot deck.  The art's pretty nice, too!

Sat 16 June 2012, 16:59 - Doug Beasley's Vision Quest Photo Assignment Cards: $12,589/$5K, 252%.  SUCCESSFUL.  This project really had the legs to go the distance, despite it being focused more on photography than any sort of divination.  I'd compare it to a photographer-specific "Whack Pack".  If you don't know what that is, look it up!  :))

Sun 17 June 2012, 06:05 - Aimee Whatley's Archetypes Tarot Deck: $1,115/$3K, 37%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  As I type this, the project ended about two hours ago.  It was a cool concept, but just didn't grab the attention it needed.

Fri 22 June 2012, 18:39 - Richard Fox's The Symbolist Tarot Deck: $4,168/$8K, 52%, 5 days left.  Mr. Fox, I'm sorry to say that your deck is unlikely to succeed.  But if I were you, I'd consider what I learned from this project and give it another try.  Despite the long odds, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sat 23 June, 22:55 - Adam Blodgett's The Chibi Tarot: $3,866/$5K, 77%, 6 days remaining.  Holy cow - he snagged over a grand in funding in the past week!  If he can keep this up and get the momentum going just a little faster, he might make it - I predict another photo finish!  You should check this out - the cards vaguely reminded me of "South Park", which I always considered cute (yes, I have a somewhat different sense of cute; get over it!).

Thu 28 June 2012, 00:57 - The Tarot Collective's The Collective Tarot, Round III: $22,869/$20K, 114%.  Up another $1,800 in the past week with ten days to go.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $45/$5.5K, rounded down to 0%.  Another week unchanged.  I looked at the creator description for Mr. Ciesicki - it mentions that he's got "10 years experience promoting my game."  I really hope to hell he's not working in advertising anywhere...

Mon 13 Aug, 11:05 - New to the list this week is Chris Alan Martin's The Chris Martin Tarot from Cheboygan, MI.  Where do I begin?  Is it with the fact that he named his project in a (ahem) very humble fashion?  Or perhaps that his whole project description takes two very poorly-written sentences in a single paragraph?  What about the fact that some of his rewards have a projected delivery date of January, 2014, and the earliest reward would be expected to ship August, 2013?  Perhaps I should go with the fact that his goal is a pie-in-the-sky twenty-five thousand dollars?  Or maybe that his decks require a minimum donation of seventy-five dollars to get just one?  I mean, it does come with a signed print of one of the original 16"x20" cards, so maybe that makes it worth it...

I know - I'll just copy and paste the first paragraph of his personal mini-bio!

"I have been creating artwork for over thirty years.  I am creating what I would consider to be a classic tarot deck with a lot of symbolism and hidden meaning in each card, very intricate details. The style of this tarot deck could best be described as Rider-Waite/Robin Wood style Tarot mixed with the work of artist Alex Grey and a tinge of evilness."

Hey - who doesn't want a tinge of evilness in their tarot deck?  Am I right?  I'm betting his two backers do...

The project current stands at $150/$25K, rounded down to 0%.  Hey - he's got two months, it could happen...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:53:11 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Monday morning, June 25th - I would have had this out yesterday but I was feeling a bit under the weather.  It's time once again for another edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck Projects Report!  Do you like the shortened title?  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

I'll start off as usual with "The Rundown" - what's going on with the playing cards projects from last week?

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards: $120 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 1%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  He had six backers in the end, two for $10 each and four for $25.  Poor, deluded souls...  :))

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $47,444 raised, $5,000 goal, 949%.  SUCCESSFUL!  This wildly-popular deck has raised more funds in actual dollars as well as in percentage of goal than any other deck project I've seen to date.  With just hours to go before the deadline, 4pm Designs actually RAN OUT of decks - this is a completely sold-out deck.  If it hits retail - which it likely will judging from the fact that three backers pledged for a gross each - expect it to go for a premium over MSRP.

Thu 05 July 2012, 21:57 - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper's  ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards: $12,381 raised, $15,000 goal, 83%.  Up nearly three grand, another strong week.  A week-and-a-half remains and support is remaining solid.  If they can keep the momentum going, this will definitely become a successful project, though not by a huge margin, I'd predict.

Sun 8 July 2012, 22:00 - Dave Huber's Custom Artistic and Photographically Unique Deck of Cards: $51 raised, $15,809 goal, rounded down to 0%.  No change from the last report.  Less than two weeks to go and this thing's as lively as a ballroom dance for nonagenarians.  I really wanted to see this deck succeed, but it's not even close.  If this was compared to swimming the Atlantic from Coney Island Beach to the shores of Great Britain, this deck would have maybe one foot in the water and one still on the sand at the beach.

Mon 16 July 2012, 22:30 - Seth Thomas and Spencer Rohan's War of Currents Playing Cards:  $10,926 raised, $8,500 goal, 129%.  No surprise - this deck blasted through its goal and is still all charged up and running fast with three weeks remaining.  They've got flyers now, which they plan to plaster all over the streets of Chicago.  Those might make nice souvenirs for the residents of the Windy City...

Wed 11 July 2012, 14:21 - Ana Cortez' "The Book of Knowing" - Extraordinary Playing Cards: $1,740 raised, $6,260 goal, 28%.  That's about six hundred dollars up from last report with two-and-a-half weeks to go.  I've been in touch with Ms. Cortez a few times over the past week - she's increased the reward offerings to include packages for retailers, but thus far it's still been a difficult row to hoe for her.  She's also looking at printing options - one of the presses she's considering is Brahma.

Fri 20 July 2012, 06:59 - Amy McBride and Maija McKnight/Tacoma Makes' Tacoma Artist Playing Cards: $17,080 raised, $13,000 goal, 131%.  I don't know if I've ever seen a deck jump up to double its funding in a single week, but that's exactly what this one did!  I'm thinking there's some very happy Tacomans out there right about now...

And now for New Business - what new deck projects have sprung up in the past week?

One new deck disappeared from the radar as fast as it appeared.  Dante Vex's The Dogma Deck was shut down by the artists who designed it only a few days after bringing it to Kickstarter.  Dante Vex has been on these boards and mentioned that the deck's design was a collaborative effort, but some of the collaborators just didn't see eye to eye on the result.  Recognizing that the deck needed some polish and reworking, they yanked the plug on it rather than try to force it down backers' throats as is.  (Never force things, they usually break.  :)) )  Before the voluntary ending of the project, they'd raised $1,158 in pledges from 33 backers for a $10,000 goal, with adding the "Bicycle" brand name as a possible overfunding goal before it was shut down.  Keep your eyes out for a possible reappearance, and check Dante Vex's posts for more information.

Sat 21 July 2012, 22:00 - Mark Baker of Spokane, WA bring us the Valor Playing Cards Deck.  It has a rather unique design to it, another one of those decks that screams either "I've gotta have this" or "I can't stand this", depending on who you ask.  All the indices are white - black suits and red suits.  Other than the indices, the cards have no pips.  But if you arrange the cards valued Ace through ten in left-to-right rows, using row order spades, diamonds, clubs, hearts (modern new deck suit order), the images on the cards form an American flag, stylized to appear as though it's been flying over a firebase in the boondocks of Afghanistan.  The face cards have no faces - instead they have a "J", "Q" or "K", respectively, with the letter appearing almost like a little ragged letter-shaped hole, inside which you can see a portion of the same American flag image.  The deck's back is a one-way design marked "VALOR PLAYING CARDS" in the center with obscured images of red, white and blue stripes running horizontally in big, thick bands.

It the deck patriotic?  Hell, yes, it is.  But it's really not much more than a novelty deck.  I'm sure if sold through big-box warehouse stores through the "red states" of the US, they'd be phenomenal hits and get sold out almost as fast as they could be printed.  But for the people who generally frequent this site, they use a deck for one of four things: collecting, magic, flourishing or playing card games like poker.  Collectors might be interested, but since it's not a Bicycle deck or even a USPC deck judging from the relatively small goal, most will pass.  Magicians would find this deck a total no-go due to obvious one-way backs and difficult-to-read indices.  Flourishers would likely pass as well - the deck back is black and design-free in the corners and the monochrome indices would be much less interesting to display in fans and such.  That leaves people who play card games such as poker.  They'd not be big on this deck, either, again due to the one-way back and all-white indices like the magicians, but furthermore due to how the cards are borderless and forty of them have edges that are all differently colored because of the American flag puzzle they all form together, thus allowing people to have a chance to distinguish a card's value from seeing its edge while held in a complete deck.

The project is at $602 raised on a $7,250 goal, 8%, with just under four weeks remaining.

Sun 22 July 2012, 22:52 - Timothy Niou from Vancouver, WA designed CORE: Playing Cards for your consideration.  It's a minimalist design along the lines of the Ultraviolet deck, but draws its inspiration from the miniature Arc Reactors constructed by Tony Stark in the "Iron Man" movie franchise.  The design is still being tweaked - larger pips for one - but that might not help with the issue of the pips looking too similar to each other due to an all-angular redesign.  The abstract face cards are also a "love-it-or-hate-it" kind of thing.  The designer does pop in here as "tniou", so you can check out his recent posts and fire questions at him.  As of now, the projects running at $1,365 raised, $15,000 goal, 9% with just under a month to go.

Mon 23 July 2012, 02:59 - From ReDraw, a collective of artists from Kansas and Missouri being "shepherded" by Jeremy Todd and Ali Dalsing comes the ReDraw deck.  It's another artists' collective deck: pretty artwork for all the faces, but in this case lacking a unified design for the indices, rendered the deck a bit less practical.  But then again, most artists' collective decks aren't necessarily meant to be practical.  And like most art decks, it's expensive - $20 for a single deck, $35 for two.  Oddly enough, however, the deck has an insanely low goal of only $1,200, so I'm thinking it's practically certain to appeal to enough people to cross such a low hurdle.  The flip side of that coin, however, is how good of a deck does $1,200 buy?  It's at $480 raised, $1,200 goal, 40% with 27 days to go.

And NO, I will NOT be following the Stinky Playing Cards project!  It's all about cheese, has no traditional card values or suits - and it stinks!  :))

And now, this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Fri 22 June 2012, 18:39 - Richard Fox's The Symbolist Tarot Deck: $5,318/$8K, 66%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.

Sat 23 June, 22:55 - Adam Blodgett's The Chibi Tarot: $5,470/$5K, 109%.  SUCCESSFUL.

Thu 28 June 2012, 00:57 - The Tarot Collective's The Collective Tarot, Round III: $25,059/$20K, 125%.  As of 10:18 UTC, only 62 hours remain.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 - Brian Ciesicki's Triple Topper - 3 dimensional card system: $56/$5.5K, 1%.  Up $11 with four days to go.  Seems this iteration of the project will meet the same fate as the last one.  Do they even allow three attempts at the same thing, especially when they fail so miserably?

Mon 13 Aug, 11:05 - Chris Alan Martin's The Chris Martin Tarot: $150/$25K, rounded down to 0%.  Unchanged from last week, still the same two backers...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:48:46 PM by Don Boyer »