Kickstarter Card and Deck Projects Report - replaced by New Deck Report on PCP

Author (Read 15414 times)

Re: Kickstarter deck projects update
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So Don, will you be keeping this thread going? :P That would be awesome. You sure are a good writer!   :)

OK, so by semi-popular demand, here's a new update of what's going on over at Kickstarter...

I'm going to try to summarize the closed projects chronologically by closing date in blue, then get to the currently active ones in purple.

04 Jan 2012 - the Deck of the Living Dead's first run fell short on this day, making it to about 40% of its $22,000 goal.  This one had its detractors and fans; personally, I liked it a lot and was a backer.

09 Jan 2012 - The hyper-specialized Outlands deck almost got halfway to the finish line when the race ended.  It was a crazy-low goal, only $1,000, and they had a whopping TWELVE backers!  Oh well, que sera sera...  Also on this day, the Typestache deck made it a few percentage points above it's $1,200 goal.  This deck was cute, but rather bizarre in the structure of its pledge reward list - according to which, those extra backers wouldn't have received a blessed thing.  It was also an advertising deck for an iPhone app.  [Scratches head in confusion.]  Why?

14 Jan 2012 - The Modern Hanafuda deck was a huge hit, more than doubling its $6,000 goal.  I haven't heard an update in a little while, but the designer is probably one of those that prefers updating when there's actually something to report.  The cards look great - a modern take on traditional Hanafuda, using larger-than-poker sized paper cards instead of the traditional small tiles, often printed on vinyl or plastic.

16 Feb 2012 - The first Internet Meme deck made it just over halfway to its goal of $4,200 before dying.  No one had high hopes for it's success, since the designs were hard on the eyes, thus answering the question, "Y u no succeed?"  :))  Topical decks like this tend to be of limited appeal around here, even when they are well-made.

24 Feb 2012 - Our own Reagan McClellan, now of UltraApe Playing Cards, had his first success with his Steampunk deck - not to be confused with Lance Miller's Bicycle Actuators, Theory11's Bicycle Steam Punk or USPC's even lamer Bicycle Steam Punk!  His low target of $2,000 was certainly a factor in helping him win more than 210% of his goal - I think he earned a lot of latecomers, once it was seen that the project was practically a done deal.  His will be the first deck of Brahma Playing Cards, the international division of India's Archduke Playing Cards, owned by the Discourse's own Rajas Paranjpe.  Since his Eaglebacks were such a big hit among those few outside of India to get their hands on a pack or two, we're eagerly anticipating what he does with this deck.

10 Mar 2012 - Our own Paul Carpenter, a.k.a. Xmetal, of his own new card design house Encarded, managed a huge coup, taking the top-dollar playing card record with a whopping $41,648, just over double his original goal.  His was also the first deck on KS to include as rewards the soon-to-be-released Eco Clips in custom designs made specifically for his cards.  Our hats are off to you, Paul.  Having an awesome and truly unique deck design certainly didn't hurt!

19 Mar 2012 - Cosmo Solano, noted magician who's been in the business for quite some time and recent new member of the Discourse, may have broken some kind of record with over 700% of the $3,000 goal being reached.  It was kind of a fix, though - Cosmo wanted this deck made regardless, but saw Kickstarter as a great place to expand his fan base and interest in his deck.  Kudos to you, Coz - you've succeed!  Since he exceeded his funding by such a wide margin and backer demand for his decks was high to say the least, he actually announced before the funding period ended that he'd be using the excess funds for a SECOND print run, before the first was even finished, to satisfy that demand!

20 Mar 2012 - The second attempt by the makers of the Dead of the Living Dead was a huge hit, earning over 270% of a goal just a little short of $10,000.  I liked the mix of backer packages on this one better, and they managed to raise more than they were asking for in the initial attempt (see 04 Jan 2012, above).  The awesome overfunding goals were likely the cause of the upsurge in interest.

21 Mar 2012 - The Feminist Deck, a salute to 52 female musicians (some of who were also artists on the deck) just crossed the goal post with a few hundred to spare above its $12,000 goal.  It's not really the kind of deck this community is interested in, which is how it managed to fly under the radar, virtually undetected.  No offense, ladies!

Whew - that took longer than I thought it would!  And now, on to the currently active projects, listed in order of the project's fundraising deadline.

Thu 05 Apr 2012 - in a mere four days, it looks like Sean Whelan's second attempt at the Galvanic deck will be a success, having crossed the 100% threshold only a handful of hours ago.  The deck had a good start but lagged when Sean sort of fell asleep at the switch, not promoting the project as heavily as we've seen other creators do.  But in a last-ditch effort to cross that line, he introduced some very popular incentives to not only get more people on board but to increase the pledges of existing backers, offering huge discounts on extra decks for more funding.  Way to go, Sean - let's hope your declined-card and canceled-backer rates are low enough to keep you above water on this one.

Sun 22 Apr 2012 - Uusi Design's first deck, Blue Blood Playing Cards, has received a generally warm reception here, though some are distressed with the whole border issue (it's like Artifice all over again)...  Uusikissa1, one of the two principals of Uusi Design, joined the board and is rapidly becoming popular around here as well, announcing that he and his partner, Linnea Gits, are planning more decks for the future, each aimed at specific market segments, which seemed to appease the collectors' side of the border debate.  Their deck, based in part on Japanese and European royalty, is at 63% of its goal of $9,000 with three weeks to go - this one is largely seen as having excellent odds of success.

Mon 23 Apr 2012 - Reagan's deck, Ultra Ape Poker Playing Cards, is not only the second deck from him, but also the second of three decks with deadlines occurring on this calendar week!  Yikes!  Sucks to be a card collector...  :))  This deck, while improving with each update, is struggling a little because, while it has well-received artwork much like his Steampunk deck did, many people aren't liking the apes-as-Roaring-'20s-gangsters theme.  It's also a hard time in playing cards right about now - only so much cash to go around and a lot of cool decks on the horizon (Seasons) as well as recently released (Vaudeville, Blades Blood Edition, Pro-Cardistry [cool being a relative term regarding this deck!]).  Some of his more interesting incentives, like leather card boxes, might be the wild card that helps him over the top.  Reagan's at 12% of his goal of $8,500, and will again be using Brahma Playing Cards for the print run.

Fri 27 Apr 2012 - a new Internet Meme deck from a different designer popped up on the radar recently, and the deck's designer actually came on board the Good Ship Discourse to defend some of his design choices and seek advice from the more experienced members here in playing card design.  The deck has issues, to be sure - it's just as topical as the last one, though more varied, and there's presently numerous images that would easily trigger a cease-and-desist from more than a few copyright/trademark lawyers.  To his credit, he recognizes the deck's limited appeal, is just targeting to those to whom it appeals and has stated that he and his associate working on the design will be removing the infringing material - though it would seem to leave him with not a lot to work with, considering that many memes are indeed based on someone else's images, words, etc.  It stands now at 2% of its goal of $3,000.

Mon 14 May 2012 - the Mystic Deck, Techno Edition, which was not very well-received here at all, closes on this date, currently at 9% of its goal of $12,000.  He's offering some rather bizarre rewards, among which are unboxing videos and an "electrocuted deck", whatever the hell that means.  The project's amateurish presentation and terrible grammar leads one to think this guy's not a serious and dedicated card designer.  And that card back!  Wow, that's one funky shade of purple!  I don't even think Prince could get behind that!  But with nearly a month and a half to go, anything's possible.  The designer states he's printing with USPC, but with a goal that low, is THAT even possible?

Holy crap, that was a postful.  That's practically worth five posts in my post count!

I'll try and update this in a week or so.

Cheers, and good night...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:07:52 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
So Don, will you be keeping this thread going? :P That would be awesome. You sure are a good writer!   :)

OK, so by semi-popular demand, here's a new update of what's going on over at Kickstarter...

Holy crap, that was a postful.  That's practically worth five posts in my post count!

I'll try and update this in a week or so.

Cheers, and good night...
Holy raviolis! Everyone should upfame you for the amazing effort you've put into making this. Wow. Thx a lot Don, this is really helpful, and it shows how dedicated you are.
Thanks a million more times!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:51:01 AM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Holy raviolis! Everyone should upfame you for the amazing effort you've put into making this. Wow. Thx a lot Don, this is really helpful, and it shows how dedicated you are.
Thanks a million more times!

1) Thanks.
2) You didn't need to quote the entire article just to say a few lines of thanks.  It really eats up the page real estate for no good reason.
3) According to a recent message I got from Alex, my fame number might as well be "Holy raviolis" for all that it actually means.  The fame system is still being tweaked and poked, so any number, high or low, doesn't mean anything.  Not to mention I would need to be upfamed by pretty much everyone capable of doing so to make a worthwhile dent in that number...  :))

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
More updates...

Thu 05 Apr 2012 - Sean Whelan's second attempt at the Galvanic deck managed to cross the finish line with a little more than $500 to spare over his $10K goal!  Yay, Galvanic!  Yay, Sean!  Yay, beer!  (Oh, wait, that's for the Red Stripe ad...)

Sun 22 Apr 2012 - With only 12 days and $285 to go, it's looking like Uusi Design's Blue Blood Playing Cards will indeed hit its goal of $9,000.  It's not a shoe-in, but it might as well be.  It's an awesome deck!

Mon 23 Apr 2012 - Reagan McClellan's Ultra Ape Poker Playing Cards appears to have hit a wall, gaining only a single percentage point since my last update to reach 13%/$1,117 of the $8,500 he needs to make it.  There's less than two weeks remaining; I hate to say it but it looks like he'll either need a Hail-Mary or another trip to the drawing board before this deck sees the light of day in the printing room at Brahma Playing Cards.  But hey, it could be worse - he could be doing as well as...

Fri 27 Apr 2012 - ...Shane Wiker's Meme Playing Cards, barely off the starting blocks with $205 in funding on a $3K goal.  It appears that recognizing a deck's limited appeal isn't enough to lift that limited appeal.  Two-and-a-half weeks and counting...

Mon 14 May 2012 - the Mystic Deck, Techno Edition is 4% up from last week at $1,589/$12K.  The good news is that at this rate, if funding stays steady, designer Alfonse Prince will hit his goal in about 22 weeks.  The bad news is that his deadline is only five weeks away...ouch.  Not lookin' good, Al...

Two new projects in the playing card arena popped up on the KS radar this past week or so.

Sat 02 Jun 2012 - the Hipster Playing Cards, designed by Ray Thomas of Seattle, is themed on the hipper-than-thou premise.  The cards have seemingly random images of things that hip slackers appear to like.  It's another deck with trademark/copyright issues, judging from images of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in a can, a Holga camera and a Motobecane bicycle.  The art is reminiscent of Xeroxed 'zine publications from the pre-Interwebs days (because they were really hip, died, and are now so retro they're hip again - I think; it's so confusing)...  Let me just say I'm not holding my breath.  It has a tiny goal, only $3,500, and is only 8% of the way there at a whopping $303 from 12 backers.  That would be his brother (y'know, the one that ISN'T a dick), that chick he dated back in the fall, the bartender who serves him a free Tecate now and then, that dude in the shades that kicks his ass at pool, that graphic designer who plays bass guitar at open mic...you get the idea...

Sun 03 Jun 2012 - SIGIDI: a bold name.  African Heritage: a bold theme.  These playing cards: a somewhat confusing concept.  Apparently there's something in there about raising awareness of African culture, and they offer face cards of former African kings, queens and "jack" prime ministers, postcards, polo shirts, composition notebooks (?), poor spelling and syntax (??), and not just unique pips, but unique suits, including one that's shaped like Africa (not enough ? on the keyboard for me to express it accurately).  This would probably have been an awesome deck in the 1970s or maybe even the early 1980s.  But even then it would have had little appeal to the communities that flock to this site: collectors, magicians and cardists.  Designer Clint Griffin of Tampa set the goal very high with this one at $25K - I don't see it getting that far in time, or even close to it.  Right now, it's at 1%, $260/$25K, with just under eight weeks remaining.

Some odds and ends - deck projects that aren't the standard 52 with jokers:

Sat 21 Apr 2012 (only 11 days left!) - Deck 88, a customized-art 88-card fortune-telling/tarot deck by Avery Kroft of Redmond, WA; $150/$5K (3%), 2 backers.

Wed 9 May 2012 - Cartes Infernales, a deck of Luis Breton engravings from the 1812 Dictionnaire Infernal by Jacques Auguste Simon Collin de Plancy; project designed by Ariana Osborne, Portland, OR; $132/$3,666 (3%).  I'm fond of the artwork on this one, though it has absolutely nothing to do with poker in any way, shape or form.

Fri 8 Jun 2012 - Arcadia Tarot Cards, a photographic version of the Rider-Waite deck by artist Michael Bilotta, Worchester, MA; $0/$3,500 (0%).  This is at zero because I think it was just posted.  The photographer looks like he's into some really great imagery and has the chops to pull it off.  If you like tarot, give it a look.

An FYI to anyone looking at making a deck on Kickstarter - these last three decks did NOT turn up in a search for "playing cards" but did appear in a search for "deck cards".  Gotta game those keywords, folks!  Many people missed the "Play Me Burlesque" deck for the same reason last year, though it had no problems raising the cash - mostly-naked women can go a long way in deck promotions, it would seem...

That's it for this week's report.  A reminder to those who kickstarted the Return of the Deck of the Living Dead - questionnaires went out in the past week!  Get those responses back fast, before you kick the bucket...  (OK, it's a lame joke, but I'm tired...)

EDITED to include live links to active and recently-finished projects.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:37:09 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 07:21:42 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Whoa, @Don... see what I mean by a WONDERFUL PERSON!!!!!!!
Upfame UPFAME UPFAME!!!!!!!!!

now we need to work on the DISCOURSE.

Man I feel so blah... no muse to work on it hahaha but I will one of these days, so we can see our stuff there. :P I hope..

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whoa, @Don... see what I mean by a WONDERFUL PERSON!!!!!!!
Upfame UPFAME UPFAME!!!!!!!!!

now we need to work on the DISCOURSE.

Man I feel so blah... no muse to work on it hahaha but I will one of these days, so we can see our stuff there. :P I hope..

Yeah, momentum on that deck is about 2 bpm right about now.  Imagine concrete moving through your veins.  You were one of the driving forces there - perhaps some more regular appearances and bumps will help.

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
I checked out the Cartes Infernales and Arcadia Tarot Cards projects. For Cartes Infernales, you have to pay $66 or more to get a physical deck of cards. Arcadia Tarot Cards just appears to be producing photos, and all you can get is a signed print from his photo gallery (I'm not even sure it's one of the tarot card photos). I also found the projects "The Urban Tarot Deck" ($65 to get a deck) and the less expensive ($25) "Sacred Awakening" deck. Both of these came up when I searched for "deck" (but not "deck cards")

I would sure like to see Kickstarter improve their search capabilities. If you search for "cards", you can't even narrow down the results, and I don't need to be shown all of the already-funded projects that I can no longer support.

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hey Don,

Thanks so much for the awesome updates on all the Kickstarter projects (including ours of course!!!) some pretty entertaining and informational writing there.

Just thought I'd let you know as of 10:31 today we are officially funded!!! Thanks to everyone here for their guidance and support. We are currently working on some extra goodies for the possibility of over funding. Still12 days left...

Thanks again!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244376122/blue-blood-playing-cards
.....................................................................................
http://uusi.us/
http://uusi.us/blogs/gibber-ish

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Very interesting post Don Boyer :)
Congrats uusikissa1 for successful funding!
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I checked out the Cartes Infernales and Arcadia Tarot Cards projects. For Cartes Infernales, you have to pay $66 or more to get a physical deck of cards. Arcadia Tarot Cards just appears to be producing photos, and all you can get is a signed print from his photo gallery (I'm not even sure it's one of the tarot card photos). I also found the projects "The Urban Tarot Deck" ($65 to get a deck) and the less expensive ($25) "Sacred Awakening" deck. Both of these came up when I searched for "deck" (but not "deck cards")

I would sure like to see Kickstarter improve their search capabilities. If you search for "cards", you can't even narrow down the results, and I don't need to be shown all of the already-funded projects that I can no longer support.

I'll have to give that a deeper search tonight from work.  I didn't go too crazy over those last few projects since none of them were traditional decks of playing cards, though they did look kind of cool.  And the search function is all up to the key words put on the project by the designer - it's not really in KS's hands.  What would be nice, though, is a single, consistent category for card projects - I've seen them in at least three different ones so far.

Hey Don,

Thanks so much for the awesome updates on all the Kickstarter projects (including ours of course!!!) some pretty entertaining and informational writing there.

Just thought I'd let you know as of 10:31 today we are officially funded!!! Thanks to everyone here for their guidance and support. We are currently working on some extra goodies for the possibility of over funding. Still12 days left...

Thanks again!

It was practically a guarantee that you'd reach your goal - the project speaks for itself!  I'd better get invested as soon as I can - money's been tight but I want in on this one.

Very interesting post Don Boyer :)
Congrats uusikissa1 for successful funding!

Thanks, as usual, Rajas.  We should talk sometime soon!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:30:14 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member

Hey Don,

Thanks again!

It was practically a guarantee that you'd reach your goal - the project speaks for itself!  I'd better get invested as soon as I can - money's been tight but I want in on this one.

Thanks again for your support and gracious compliments - we work extremely hard on all our projects (whatever they may be) and take great pride in the designs we produce. We are really thrilled the deck got funded and can't wait to see it produced. We also just added 48, 72 and 144 deck pledges (limited amount of those pledges of course) as we are now starting to receive requests for larger quantities. Totally understand the "money's tight" thing...ah, longing for the good old days when money was flowing.

.....................................................................................
http://uusi.us/
http://uusi.us/blogs/gibber-ish

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:20 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Great new update! So many decks out right now!!!!!!!!

Re: All Card/Deck-Related Projects at Kickstarter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's a quick rundown of a series of deck projects I discovered on Kickstarter that aren't already covered previously and are either closed or don't fit the traditional "collectible deck" mold but might still be of interest to some people here.  I included the closed ones in case someone's interested in looking for it in the post-KS marketplace.  I did NOT include games that do not use either tarot or playing cards in their design or that require "deck building" from either a limited or unlimited pool of cards.  I also left out projects that closed before Thursday, 01 March 2012.

Gang, some of these are "Eh, it's not my thing," but some are "Holy crap, how in the hell did I not find out about this sooner!  I WANT this!!"  You have to decide which is which for yourself.

Thu 08 Mar 2012: Stolen Child Tarot, the second attempt at making a limited-edition major-arcana tarot deck.  Monica Knighton, Austin, TX; $5,546/$2.5K (221%).  SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED!

Fri 09 Mar 2012: Darkana Tarot - if Big Blind Media or Alchemy 1977 decided to make a tarot deck, there's a good chance it would look like this!  Dan Donche, Colorado Springs, CO; $5.9K/$2K (295%).  VERY SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED!!

Sat 10 Mar 2012: The Golden Moth Illumination Deck, a tarot-like inspiration pack of 68 cards printed slightly smaller than a bridge deck.  Aijung Kim, Richmond, VA; $4.8K/$4K (120%).  SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED!

Fri 16 Mar 2012: Woe to the Living, a game of classic pulp horror that doubles as a really cool-looking playing card deck!  Trevor Cram, Salt Lake City, UT; $5.9K/$1K (594%).  EXCEPTIONALLY SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED!

Thu 22 Mar 2012: The Hero Deck, a game designed to teach children to be heroes using examples from the past.  "Matt", Brighton, MI; $2.6K/$2K (130%).  SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED!

Thu 19 Apr 2012: The Urban Tarot Deck, a tarot deck using modern graphic imagery with the traditional Tarot design.  Robert Scott, New York, NY; $26,771/$25K (107%).  CLOSES IN EIGHT DAYS!

Fri 11 May 2012: "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck, a custom Tarot-style deck in a New Age style.  Sa'ahrah Ester Felix, Makawao, HI; $166/$5K (3%).

Check these out, if you haven't already.

Cheers, and 'till next time...

Don!

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
And the search function is all up to the key words put on the project by the designer - it's not really in KS's hands.  What would be nice, though, is a single, consistent category for card projects - I've seen them in at least three different ones so far.

But that's not something the designer should have to deal with. In 1994, the original Yahoo categorization-style search was fine, but web site technology has improved so much that Kickstarter is just primitive. Even the simple search available on The Discourse is far superior to what KS offers. Admittedly, I'm a bit spoiled because my job involves content management software, but KS could do a much better job without that much work. I don't know what they are spending their 10% of the millions of dollars being spent on their site on, but it doesn't look like it's the site itself.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
And the search function is all up to the key words put on the project by the designer - it's not really in KS's hands.  What would be nice, though, is a single, consistent category for card projects - I've seen them in at least three different ones so far.

But that's not something the designer should have to deal with. In 1994, the original Yahoo categorization-style search was fine, but web site technology has improved so much that Kickstarter is just primitive. Even the simple search available on The Discourse is far superior to what KS offers. Admittedly, I'm a bit spoiled because my job involves content management software, but KS could do a much better job without that much work. I don't know what they are spending their 10% of the millions of dollars being spent on their site on, but it doesn't look like it's the site itself.

Actually, there's technology that's been around for many, many years - museums use a system of categorization for art projects that seems to work for them, right?  Even ye olde Dewey Decimal System would be better than the free-for-all they have now.  I discovered decks last week that were totally awesome and yet didn't generate a single hit when searching "playing cards".  That burlesque deck I got post-KS I missed because of that very same reason; if I 'd have been in on the KS, I could have attended the wrap party here in my city!

No artist likes their creations to be pigeon-holed into a specific label, but if they want to be funded, potential backers have to be able to identify and find their work.

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, on this lovely spring night in the wee hours of Sunday morning, April the 15th, coming to you from New York.

(Can you tell I used to be an on-air deejay at a radio station?  :)) )

-------------------------------------

First, a brief rundown of the standard playing card projects I detailed for all of you last week that are still in progress, in order of the time that the project's fundraiser closes, listed in Universal Coordinated Time as a courtesy to the international audience.

Sun 22 Apr 2012, 22:20 UTC - Uusi Design's Blue Blood Playing Cards: $13,707 raised, $9,000 goal, 152%.  If you haven't funded this yet and want this deck at KS prices, NOW is the time!

Mon 23 Apr 2012, 04:10 UTC - Reagan McClellan's Ultra Ape Poker Playing Cards: $1,187 raised, $8,500 goal, 13%.  I recently exchanged a few words with Reagan about this project and the very long odds against it at the moment.  He's recognizing that things could have gone more smoothly, and that the bitter online debates about the design didn't help.  However, he also appears to be taking this as a learning experience, which in itself can be viewed as a success for the designer as he begins looking into a third project with a different theme.

Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:22 UTC - Shane Wiker's Meme Playing Cards: $262 raised, $3,000 goal, 8%.  It's practically at a standstill from last week.

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 UTC - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,654 raised, $12,000 goal, 13%.  Another project that's become utterly stagnant.  And that shade of purple hasn't improved one bit, either.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 UTC - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $320 raised, $3,500 goal, 9%.  Up exactly seventeen dollars, the record low increase since the last report.  Slow night in tips, I suppose...

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 UTC - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $350 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Up ninety dollars.  It's a long way to that goal, even with the amount of time still remaining.

And on to new business in the standard playing cards arena.

Fri 04 May 2012, 16:45 UTC - Vlad Korzinin, whose KS profile states that he hails from Barcelona, Spain, posted here about a project he was working on called Creative Cards with some prominent designers and artists from the four corners of the Internet.  His Kickstarter project went live this week, and it's a doozy.  Much of the artwork is top-notch, though beauty is often thought of as in the eye of the beholder; there's been a little back-and-forth between Discourse members about who likes which cards.  The project's goal is manageable, only $9,000, and while he and his associates aren't printing with USPC, they are printing with a globally-respected brand, Cartamundi.

The biggest speed bump this project faces on its way to success is its own reward structure.  As of yet, there's a vanity reward at $1,001 consisting of five decks and a custom-designed joker, plus some standard consumer-level rewards  However, there are no rewards for retailers looking to buy in bulk for resale and the individual decks are the most expensive I've seen for a KS project.  A single-deck reward costs a whopping $32, while the best deal available, $99 for four, still only brings that price down to $24.75 a pack.  Production costs alone can't possibly justify such incredibly expensive cards - someone's aiming to make a killing in the collectors' market.  Even though we expect an art deck to cost more, we certainly don't expect it to cost this much more, particularly in the fundraising stage.  Also - and correct me, please, if I'm wrong - but isn't it required that you be based in the United States to run a Kickstarter project?  Because I've heard from a handful of people overseas who wanted to go the Kickstarter route but were turned down because they weren't domestic.

The project "Creative Cards" stands at $644 raised on a $9,000 goal, 7%, with about nineteen days to go.

Now, for this week's updates on the non-standard card projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional card games using decks other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.  While not everyone's preferred weapons of mass distraction, these cards do have some appeal in the card community, especially if, for example, you're from a region where Skat is the most popular card game, if you're a magician who employs tarot as part of a mentalism routine or if you're a cardist whose exceptionally huge hands are perfect for the 78 cards of a tarot deck...

Thu 19 Apr 2012, 22:09 UTC - Robert Scott's Urban Tarot Deck: $28,780/$25K (115%).  Closing this week!

Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:38 UTC - Avery Kroft's Deck 88: $150/$5K (3%).  Raised zero dollars since the last report.

Thu 10 May 2012, 03:59 UTC - Ariana Osborne's Cartes Infernales: $12,323/$3,666 (336%).  This deck went from practically nothing to more than triple-overfunded in about a week!  Kudos to you, Ms. Osborne!

Fri 11 May 2012, 08:23 UTC - Sa'ahrah Ester Felix's "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck: $166/$5K (3%).  Unchanged from my last report.  The design's really "out there" even for New Age.

Fri 8 Jun 2012, 21:12 UTC - Michael Bilotta's Arcadia Tarot Cards: $25/$3,500 (0%).  He gained exactly one backer since this kicked off about a week ago.  This project is a little problematic - it looks like it could be very beautiful, but the KS page lists very little, and the reward structure is designed for failure.  There's exactly one reward at $25 for a print from the artist's online photo gallery, and it's a limited reward of only 50.  So this means that assuming all the rewards have been taken, he still will find himself with only $1,250 - far short of his goal.  Irrational expectations, anyone?  And most astonishing is that the deck itself isn't even a reward!

That's it for the non-traditional decks.  There's a few odds and ends here - many decks that have been in varying stages of production are now coming up for KS surveys, including Vortex and Bicycle Spectrum.  If you haven't received your survey, keep your eyes out for it - if you have, fill it out fast!  Also, the creators of the Woe to the Living game/playing card deck are still taking backers post-KS - read all about it on this topic:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2296.0
and on this topic:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=2304.0

Thanks, and that's all for now.  Have a good week.

Re: Card/Deck-Related Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Awesome update Don, much appreciated, keep them coming.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm glad someone's enjoying them - they take a LOT to create!

If you happen to spot a KS project that I've missed, even if it's something you think is cool but might not entirely fit into the mold of standard playing card deck, give me a shout and I'll check it out.

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I'm glad someone's enjoying them - they take a LOT to create!

If you happen to spot a KS project that I've missed, even if it's something you think is cool but might not entirely fit into the mold of standard playing card deck, give me a shout and I'll check it out.

I can totally see the amount of work you put into those. It is a pleasure to read and a good distraction from all the other stuff going on in my life right now. Thanks a lot for your dedication Don.

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 03:26:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's a little after two a.m. on Saturday morning, April 21, and no, it's not the Farm Report!  Welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

To kick things off, the "rundown" - where are all those projects we saw last week...

Sun 22 Apr 2012, 22:20 UTC - Uusi Design's Blue Blood Playing Cards: $17,258 raised, $9,000 goal, 191%.  We're getting near the finish line on this one at 40 hours to go, and there's an overfunding goal at $18K that's just begging to get reached...  I just invested for three decks!  Why haven't you?

Mon 23 Apr 2012, 04:10 UTC - Reagan McClellan's Ultra Ape Poker Playing Cards: $1,287 raised, $8,500 goal, 15%.  46 hours remain as I type this, and it's up $100 from my last report six days ago.

Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:22 UTC - Shane Wiker's Meme Playing Cards: $290 raised, $3,000 goal, 9%.  Raised another $28.  It isn't looking good, but it never really was, so...

Fri 04 May 2012, 16:45 UTC - Vlad Korzinin's Creative Cards: $1,667 raised, $9,000 goal, 19%.  He's added a limited reward for bulk purchase/resale, but it's very expensive - $999 gets you 60 decks, at a whopping $16.65 a pack, "wholesale".  There's only two such rewards available, and both are still up for grabs.  It's such a beautiful and ambitious deck, but it's just too expensive for what the market's willing to bear, I believe.  All that work...and there may be no deck to show for it.

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 UTC - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,685 raised, $12,000 goal, 14%.  Raised a mere $31.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 UTC - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $348 raised, $3,500 goal, 9%.  Up $28 this time.  Still not holding my breath, thankfully...

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 UTC - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $360 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Up ten bucks, a new record low.

We have one deck to introduce to you in the "new business" portion of the report.

Fri 11 May 2012, 02:43 UTC - If ever you needed a good laugh looking at a deck, this could be it.  I looked at it, scratched my head and asked, "Why?"  Amber Tapper, an accountant from Rio Rancho, NM was inspired by the "Ransom" font on her old computer to create the R@n$0m Playing Cards deck.  Her project page sounds just a little too amateurish, replete with misspellings, right down to the mention that her cards are being professionally printed by "USCC" in "groups of 2,500."  She's actually cutting and pasting bits of newspaper to make the designs collage-style, which is ambitious but doesn't make for a good-looking or practical card.  The reward tree is simple and straightforward, the most common rewards being "you give me a multiple of $10, I give you that many decks."  But would you pay $10 for this, printed with her "unusaul and unique images" by "USCC"?

The project isn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it needs polish like I need air, and she's nearly insured her demise by cutting the deadline super-short: from non-existent last week to only 19 days left today.  Her project is at $20 raised, goal of $10,000, giving her 0% after rounding down.

Now, for this week's non-standard card projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional card games using decks other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Thu 19 Apr 2012, 22:09 UTC - Robert Scott's Urban Tarot Deck: $33,595/$25K (134%).  SUCCESSFUL!

Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:38 UTC - Avery Kroft's Deck 88: $150/$5K (3%).  Raised zero dollars for the second week in a row, with only ten hours remaining.  Forget life support for this one, it's a goner.

Thu 10 May 2012, 03:59 UTC - Ariana Osborne's Cartes Infernales: $15,045/$3,666 (410%).  Awesome!

Fri 11 May 2012, 08:23 UTC - Sa'ahrah Ester Felix's "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck: $166/$5K (3%).  Unchanged for the second week in a row.  Y'know the old expression about the lights being on but nobody being home?  Well, the lights aren't even on here.

Fri 8 Jun 2012, 21:12 UTC - Michael Bilotta's Arcadia Tarot Cards: $25/$3,500 (0%).  Not a single dollar or backer gained.

Thanks, and that's all for this week's report.  Have a better one.

Re: Card/Deck-Related Kickstarter Projects - Updated WEEKLY
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Thanks for creating and updating this thread Don. Since you are being so consistant with the updates I will put this as a stickied topic, so it is easier for everyone to find.

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 02:25:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for creating and updating this thread Don. Since you are being so consistant with the updates I will put this as a stickied topic, so it is easier for everyone to find.

That's awesome!  Thanks, bro!

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 04:48:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Saturday morning, April 28th, and welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

As usual, I'll start with "The Rundown" - what progress has been made since last week?

Sun 22 Apr 2012, 22:20 UTC - Uusi Design's Blue Blood Playing Cards: $19,138 raised, $9,000 goal, 212%.  SUCCESSFUL, in spades!  Congratulations to Linnea Gits and Peter Dunham!

Mon 23 Apr 2012, 04:10 UTC - Reagan McClellan's Ultra Ape Poker Playing Cards: $1,308 raised, $8,500 goal, 15%.  FAILED.  Sorry, Reagan.  "Remember, Bruce, why do we fall down?"

Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:22 UTC - Shane Wiker's Meme Playing Cards: $349 raised, $3,000 goal, 12%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  Just too many issues to begin with on this one.

Fri 04 May 2012, 16:45 UTC - Vlad Korzinin's Creative Cards: $1,871 raised, $9,000 goal, 20%.  More bad news for this deck: the designers are offering a poster, but there's no plans to offer an uncut sheet.  A project this beautiful practically cries out for it.  But he has under a week left and there's just no wind under those wings.  It's a shame, really.  It had a lot of potential, but the design house pushing it is shooting itself in both feet.

Fri 11 May 2012, 02:43 UTC - Amber Tapper's R@n$0m Playing Cards: $432 raised, $10,000 goal, 4%.  She's offering uncuts plus a deck as a swap-out for the four-deck reward, and isn't charging extra for international shipping except on orders of a brick or more.  She should be glad that this project appears headed for the recycling bin in just under two weeks along with the rest of the newspaper clippings, because those shipping costs would probably have killed it for her anyway.  And the Theory11 Hyperbole Award goes to Ms. Tapper for this statement from her home page:

I know my R@n$0m playing cards will satisfy and impress cardsharks and novices alike.  You will not be disappointed.

Sorry, Amber, but you're too late.  I'm already disappointed. :t11:

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 UTC - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,834 raised, $12,000 goal, 15%.  Up by $149, which I think is the biggest jump it's had in a while.  Two-and-a-half weeks to go, though.  It doesn't bode well for this rather poorly-received deck.  They "Redisgned the logo" a few weeks back and simplified the back design a lot, but it's still one ugly shade of unprintable purple.  The spot cards will be bog standard (woo AND hoo to that).  And get a load of this, quoted from the most recent update:

Q: WHAT IS AN ELECTROCUTED DECK?
A: Guys, please read the FAQ. It's a deck that has been electrocuted! How can i explain it more than that.

Indeed.  Who can argue with that logic?   ::)

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 UTC - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $947 raised, $3,500 goal, 27%.  Up $599 this week, a huge jump.  With over a month to the deadline, this project still has life in it.  I just wonder how they're planning to overcome the copyright hurdles found in many of the images they've displayed on their home page (and likely many others as well).  There's no way to know without asking since the project's had zero updates.

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 UTC - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $370 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Up ten bucks for the second consecutive week.  At this steady rate of progress, they'll achieve their funding goal just over 47 years behind schedule...

We have one deck again this week to introduce to you in "New Business" - but for a change, it's actually a pretty good one.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 UTC - 4pm Designs out of Vineland, NJ, proudly brings you "The Grid" Playing Cards, a design that everyone says looks ripped straight out of "Tron" - and that's a good thing.  It's the design house's first playing card deck and you can tell they're new at this, but the design itself is rock-solid.  No whacky design concepts, no strange colors or fonts - just a clean, futuristic redesign of the standard Anglo-Rouen deck we've all come to know and love.  If done right, who knows - it could represent a revival of the black deck!  It's certainly one of the rare few that's neither completely magic-centric nor covered in Gothic images and/or skulls.  They might run into a little legal problem, though - and not with USPC, oddly enough.  They're hoping to print with the house that Bicycle built, but one of their concepts, the extra "X" card, is taken straight from Bent Castle Workshop's "Pegleg Pete's" and "Deck of the Living Dead" deck designs.

Combine all of that with a reasonable reward pricing structure starting at only $8 a deck, and I'm predicting a solid success for this design, especially if they're able to get USPC on board as the printer.  As of now, they have nearly two months to go but are already at $1,132 raised on a $5,000 goal, putting them at 22%.  While they're absent from the present reward structure, they did announce in the FAQ that uncuts would be available as sort of an overfunding goal once they hit 200%/$10,000.

I present this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Sat 21 Apr 2012, 17:38 UTC - Avery Kroft's Deck 88: $150/$5K (3%).  FAILED.

Thu 10 May 2012, 03:59 UTC - Ariana Osborne's Cartes Infernales: $18,016/$3,666 (491%).  This could be a contender for the overfunding multiplier record for a playing card project, which I think is currently held by Cosmo Solano's Bicycle Spectrum deck at 704%.

Fri 11 May 2012, 08:23 UTC - Sa'ahrah Ester Felix's "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck: $166/$5K (3%).  Unchanged for the third week in a row.

Fri 8 Jun 2012, 21:12 UTC - Michael Bilotta's Arcadia Tarot Cards: $50/$3,500 (0%).  CANCELED four days ago by the project's creator.  I'm hoping he brings this project back, comes to his senses about his reward structure and shows off his designs a little more.  He seemed like he had an excellent concept but terrible execution on his project.

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I think we've seen a dozen decks on sale and on kickstarter in the past 2 weeks... It's crazy. Now that the big companies have slowed down, the individuals are kicking in. And then there is HOPC by BC, and Mystery by BDCVD, and the T11 deck, I forget what it's called. But nice essay Don. As always, we can count on you.
PS: Somehow this wasn't in my recently unread topics although I hadn't clicked on it since you updated it...

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 06:59:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's Saturday morning, May 5th (and my mother's birthday!), and welcome to the latest edition of the Kickstarter Card and Deck-Related Projects Report!  I'm your host, Don Boyer, "live" from New York.

What do we have on tap for this week on "The Rundown" - what progress has been made since last week?

Fri 04 May 2012, 16:45 UTC - Vlad Korzinin's Creative Cards: $2,878 raised, $9,000 goal, 32%.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  While the project did gain about a thousand dollars over last week, there was just too much against this deck getting made, not the least of which being the high cost of a deck.

Fri 11 May 2012, 02:43 UTC - Amber Tapper's R@n$0m Playing Cards: $632 raised, $10,000 goal, 6%.  With less than a week to go and only up two hundred dollars from last week, this deck appears to be heading to the same place as the newspaper clippings used to create it - the recycling bin.

Mon 14 May 2012, 21:07 UTC - Alfonse Prince's Mystic Deck, Techno Edition: $1,884 raised, $12,000 goal, 15%.  Only up fifty bucks this week.  What little steam this deck may have had appears to have fled, with only a week and a half to go and a loooong way to twelve thousand.

Sat 02 Jun 2012, 23:28 UTC - Ray Thomas' Hipster Playing Cards: $1,072 raised, $3,500 goal, 27%.  Up $125 this week, not as strong as last week.  At four weeks remaining, while it isn't impossible to hit the goal, he won't be doing it at this speed.

Sun 03 Jun 2012, 18:34 UTC - Clint Griffin's SIGIDI: African Heritage Playing Cards: $391 raised, $25,000 goal, 1%.  Up twenty-one bucks - that more than twice what it earned in the last two weeks.  But with under a month to go, I don't hold out a lot of hope for this one.

Fri 22 June 2012, 19:01 UTC - 4pm Designs' "The Grid" Playing Cards: $16,853 raised, $5,000 goal, 337%.  WOW, that's a whopper of a success story!  There's a month and a half left and this project's just blown up all over the place!  Having crossed the 200% mark, this will be a Bicycle-branded deck from USPC.  There's been some debate over an alteration to the Joker design - traditional look or jokers on what look like light cycles - but it appears they may be sticking with the more traditional look.  I'm glad - those light cycles might have drawn a cease-and-desist from Disney, Inc., owners of "Tron".

We have many decks this week to introduce to you in "New Business" - good, bad and...well, I'll let you decide!

Thu 31 May 2012, 18:56 UTC - Chuck Brodd's Phil's Poker Cards were presented using a most unusual sales pitch - it sounded as if Chuck was expecting defeat for the project from day one!  He comes out and explains that the deck is actually being made as a future product for a pool hall that he'd like to open up.  The deck is very stylish, 100% plastic, and would be at home at almost any casual guys-hanging-out poker game, with imagery of darts and boards, billiards and playing card suits tastefully laid out on the card back.  He wants to produce in five colors, but for the moment is sticking to just two: black if he hits 100%, gold as well if he hits 200%.  A single deck is $20 - very costly, even for plastic - but the price comes down dramatically if you opt for two at only $25.  He's aiming for USPC to print it on their Prestige plastic stock, so it should have good handling for playing cards or magic, maybe not as good for some flourishes.  He's at $1,768 raised, $14,000 goal, 12%, with about three-and-a-half weeks remaining.

Sat 02 June 2012, 19:49 UTC - Patrick Burke and Ethan Soper, the two principles of design house beta17, present ULTRAVIOLET Playing Cards.  The deck has an attractive shade of purple on the backs and a hyper-futuristic design, generally well-received with a few exceptions.  The biggest hang-up we're having with this deck is that it's bloody expensive: $13 for a single pack.  Strangely, the best deal on the deck is at the $100 tier - one brick, or about $8.33 a pack.  The prices go UP instead of DOWN for bigger bulk purchases!  All the other tiers are at least $10 a pack.  It gives one pause...  Right now, it's at $3,689 raised, $15,000 goal, 24%, with four weeks to go.

Tue 05 June 2012, 19:41 UTC - Juan G. Perez' Bicycle Eclipse Playing Cards, by Hidden Mirrors comes in with a unique premise or two.  While it's a good design choice to put a white border around a black deck, some Discourse members were questioning certain other design choices, such as pips that appear both in color with white outlines and totally white on the same card (sort of a fusion of the Bicycle Pirate and De'vo's Blades series).  Also off-putting were the indices that are split on the border between black center field and white border, resulting in a bizarre-looking, hard-to-read appearance (which is ironic, considering that Juan was actually trying to make them easier to read).  His inclusion of his own MUSIC in the pledge rewards only added more bizarreness to the mix.  The project currently stands at $3,089 raised, $10,000 goal, 30%.

Sun 17 June 2012, 14:46 UTC - Nick Lampsas' Metagalactic "Blackout" Glow In the Dark Playing Cards (a mouthful if I ever saw one) are among the most bizarre offerings I've seen in a straight-up playing card deck thus far.  He says in his pitch, plain as day, that "NO.  I am not selling decks of cards.  This is not a Home Shopping Network."  Uh, hello?  If you aren't selling them, what incentive do people have to BACK them?  The answer is NONE!  I suppose it's for the better, though - these cards fell out of the ugly tree and hit most of the branches on the way down.  He has added playing card deck rewards starting with two decks at the $25 tier, but he tops out at a mere four decks.  All the rewards higher than include either autographs (doubling the price for them!) or having your face immortalized as a court card or a joker.  Honestly, folks - would you plunk down a grand for your face on a joker and four decks?  The fact that they glow in the dark on both sides is just icing on the gimmick cake - and you know this isn't a USPC project!  At a month-and-a-half to go, he's at one sole backer, $25 raised, $6,000 goal, rounded down to 0%.  I hope Nick's not holding his breath.

And now, for this week's "Not Your Average 52-Plus-Two" - your non-standard deck projects.  As usual, this does not include specialized games using non-standard playing cards, "deck building" games or collectible playing cards, but it does include art decks, traditional decks using designs other than the standard Anglo-Rouen 52-card deck (such as tarock, tarocchi, skat, hanafuda, etc.), and tarot and other fortune-telling decks.

Thu 10 May 2012, 03:59 UTC - Ariana Osborne's Cartes Infernales: $20,836/$3,666 (568%).  It's closing in on the overfunding multiplier record for a playing card project, held by Cosmo Solano's Bicycle Spectrum deck at 704%.

Fri 11 May 2012, 08:23 UTC - Sa'ahrah Ester Felix's "Sacred Awakening" Card Deck: $141/$5K (3%).  After being unchanged for three week in a row, this project actually LOST fifteen dollars in the last week.

I have one more deck to add, but I'm out of time for now - to be continued...

EDIT: I'm back!  It's Sunday, May 6th, and here's that last deck I mentioned.

You might remember this deck when it debuted, the Triple Topper.  It was a bold if misguided concept - in addition to value and suit, he made color an independent variable, hence the three-dimensional nature of the deck.  5 value times 5 suits times 5 colors left you with a 125-card deck (try shoving that into your jeans pocket)!  The guy garnered a whopping three backers, $90 in contributions, but with a $6,000 goal, that wasn't happening.

Fri 29 June 2012, 22:18 UTC - Well, ever the optimist, Brian Ciesicki is back, with the exact same Triple Topper deck, but with a marginally more modest goal of $5,000.  With just under eight weeks to go, he's earned himself a huge $20 sum from 2 backers.  I'm not hopeful that this project will fare much better than the last, and that making the goal $500 still wouldn't do it.  Playing cards as we know and love them can be complex enough without having to think three-dimensionally!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:24:00 AM by Don Boyer »