Author (Read 1637 times)

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Hey hey fellow card enthusiasts,

The fourth edition of CARD CULTURE is now available to download for 52 Plus Joker members. Take a moment to log into the club's website, and a direct link to CARD CULTURE will be right there waiting for you.

Screen captures of this month's CARD CULTURE

In this awesome issue we hear from such notables as:

• Tom Majski
  • Matthew Schacht
  • Thomas Dawson
  • Don Boyer
  • Maxime Heriaud
  • Rod Starling
  • & me

Working in tandem with our printed quarterly Clear The Decks, CARD CULTURE helps you celebrate and indulge in your playing card passions even more!

Go grab your copy today. If you're not a member of the 52 Plus Joker, think about joining our society now. CARD CULTURE and many other playing card amenities await you.

Enjoy!

Re: 4th Issue of CARD CULTURE now available for all 52 Plus Joker Members
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
What can I say about Card Culture?

I CAN say, as the forever-editor of Clear the Decks (CTD) 52 Plus Joker's quarterly magazine, that I am blown away by this new and exciting newsletter.  It was conceived and put together by Lee Asher and Don Boyer, with a little assistance from Tom Dawson and what a masterful job they have done! The articles are varied and interesting, covering a combination of new and old card collectibles. They have attracted a group of card collectors and designers who are sharing their passion for playing cards through the pages of Card Culture. If you are not yet a member of 52 Plus Joker and you are interested in playing cards, you should probably join in as the many benefits are huge including access to CC.  We have a number of members who are collecting the wonderful new decks, many of which are being introduced through various websites including this one.  Many are clever and original and obviously, as we have known for years, each card is really an individual work of art.
Don't miss Tom's article on what is possibly the oldest COMPLETE deck in existence.  What a deck to dream about!

Kudos to All
Judy
Judy Dawson

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for those very kind words - they mean a lot coming from a long-time and respected editor and collector such as yourself.

Guys, for the cost of a membership, this is probably the one club with perks that are really worth more than the price of joining!  Compare it to Club 808 or the Black Club and you'll immediately see it for yourself.  If you can find a paid-membership club for card people that's a better value, please let us know!

I'm very proud of the work I've been doing for the club at CARD CULTURE and I'm grateful for the words of support we've received from everyone who's reached out to us to compliment us on our fine publication.  I try to be modest in general - but not about CC!  I'm also pleased to have the team that I have working with me.

For those of you who are members, remember that we love submissions from you on the subjects you're knowledgable about.  For those of you who aren't members - what on Earth are you waiting for?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Just 1 question about the club, why is the international membership is more expensive than the USA residents?
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just 1 question about the club, why is the international membership is more expensive than the USA residents?

Because one of the membership perks is CLEAR THE DECKS, a quarterly publication that's printed and mailed to all members.  International postage is a little more expensive, that's all.  The most recent issue came out just a little while ago, volume XXIX issue 1, making the magazine over 28 years old and still printing!  It's a genuinely useful resource - I discovered a lot of interesting information about cards I would never have found elsewhere without extensive research.  Even in this digital age, I save all my back issues!

Besides being a digital publication, CARD CULTURE aims to cover more of the modern custom deck market - hence the reason it comes out monthly - while CLEAR THE DECKS has a wealth of information aimed mostly at the vintage and antique markets with its quarterly release schedule.  Of course, there's some overlap between them, but the two publications really complement each other.  If you just get CARD CULTURE, you're only getting half the story!

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Okay I am joining the member now  :D, but do I have to use the same username as PCF?
If I use different username will it matter?
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:39:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Okay I am joining the member now  :D, but do I have to use the same username as PCF?
If I use different username will it matter?

The two are independent entities as far as usernames and passwords are concerned.  It is advisable to use the same email address, though - makes it easier to figure out that you're a member of 52+J.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Another awesome job by the Card Culture crew. A nice balance of vintage and new deck information.
A great interview from Tom Majski with Alvin Cheung, the designer of Sishou Four Beasts, and the upcoming Hellsgate Playing Cards

For anybody that is not a member of 52 Plus Joker Club, this is just one great reason to join. All issues are available to read on the club websight. Also the annual 52+ mail auction is live right now. A lot of great decks available to bid on.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
For anybody that is not a member of 52 Plus Joker Club, this is just one great reason to join. All issues are available to read on the club websight. Also the annual 52+ mail auction is live right now. A lot of great decks available to bid on.

Yup, I'm a new member of the 52+J club and I found it really great. The card culture content is packed with great information.
Back for more