Midnight BOWL-A-RAMA Decks - (KS)
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
BOWL-A-RAMA Playing Cards

Hey everyone,

My next solo project will be launching on Kickstarter this coming Thursday, Noon EDT. After doing a lot of baroque and elegant type of designs, I wanted to change it up and do something FUN! The Midnight Bowl-A-Rama Decks will be printed and fulfilled by Legends. I hope you like the change-of-pace from the norm! Max released an article earlier today that has some more info:

http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2015/03/06/midnight-bowl-a-rama-playing-cards-strike/

Thanks! Randy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:47:06 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Midnight BOWL-A-RAMA Decks - coming soon (KS)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:22:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've been giving Randy some small assistance with this deck - it's not what was originally envisioned, but in many ways I believe it's even better!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I love bowling -- I'm a big fan of Walter Ray Williams Jr!

I like what's been done with the 6 of diamonds... the washout!

I'm guessing other undesirable leaves such as the big four (or the bucket), greek church, and 7-10 will also be represented on number cards for the 4s, 5s, and 2s, respectively.

Good stuff. I'll definitely be in for a few decks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:42:24 AM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:18 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I love bowling -- I'm a big fan of Walter Ray Williams Jr!

I like what's been done with the 6 of diamonds... the washout!

I'm guessing other undesirable leaves such as the big four (or the bucket), greek church, and 7-10 will also be represented on number cards for the 4s, 5s, and 2s, respectively.

Good stuff. I'll definitely be in for a few decks.

Thanks!!

Yep, I think all of the good splits will be represented. There are 80 different Numbers Cards between the Red and Black Decks. The Aces, Tens and Nines are mostly the same Pin layouts, but the others have a lot of different leaves!

I watched the documentary League of Ordinary Gentleman on Netflix a couple months ago (it's about the attempted resurgence of the PBA). I thought it was great! There are four Court Characters named after the main Bowlers in the documentary - Walter, Ray, Wayne and Pete.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I can't remember a custom deck devoted to bowling. Good idea.

I think number cards will be the most interesting in these decks. But I have suddenly mixed feelings about court cards. That combination of clothes, theme, and a crown looks a little bit odd. Randy, just as an experiment and in case of some time for that, can you supstitute the crown with a baseball cap. Put a picture of a crown on that cap. Different crowns for different courts of suits as for different bowling teams. IMHO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Looks really cool Randy. I'll be in for a Hambone at least.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
@Collector - the juxtaposition of the Crowns matched with the less formal Bowling wear is a big part of what I like about the Courts. It's an odd combo that adds to the charm of the unique design!

A couple more days until Launch!

The Black Deck and Red Deck will each have separate sets of Face Cards. Here's a couple graphics that show what will be modified between the two - different Team Names and PIP Layouts for the Numbers, different outfits and colors for the Courts.

Thanks! Randy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Honestly i'm not hugely fussed about the courts, tuck and card back but the idea with the pips is fantastic so for that reason i'll be backing these. Great to see designers mix it up and bring some of their personal experience to projects. All the best with the campaign!
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The concept is brilliant on these. Every time I look at them I get a stupid happy smile on my face haha.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I would really love to see the Cosmic deck :)

Good Luck Randy!!

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Live nine hours and you're more than half-way there!  Fantastic, bro!

I'm betting that Randy WILL be making that Cosmic deck!

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Everyone!

The Bowl-A-Rama campaign is past it's Funding Goal!! The first Stretch Goal is the UV Spot Ink on the Red and Black Tucks. The main Stretch Goal is Unlocking the Cosmic Lanes Deck that will utilize GLOW-IN-THE-DARK Ink! Here's an image of the Cosmic look.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »

CthulhuWho1

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here's an example of the Twitter promo I just posted for these cards:

http://twitter.com/CthulhuWho1/status/580079913727725568

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Everyone,
I just started a Bowl-A-Rama CONTEST on my Midnight Cards Facebook page. Here's the details, for anyone on the forums who's not on Facebook:

PRIZES (ALL UNOPENED AND SEALED):

MIDNIGHT CARDS WINNER: a pair of Bowl-A-Rama PROTOTYPE Decks, a pair of Draconian Decks, an Unbranded Obsidian Deck and a Blue LUXX V1 Deck (6 Decks in total)

KARDIFY WINNER: a pair of Bowl-A-Rama PROTOTYPE Decks, a pair of Draconian Decks, a Bicycle Obsidian Deck and a Brown LUXX V1 Deck (6 Decks in total)

CONTEST RULES:

There are 80 different Team Names between the Bowl-A-Rama's Red and Black Decks' Numbers Cards. 14 of these chosen Team Names reference my past (Randy Butterfield). The Contest is simple. Choose which FOURTEEN (14) you think are the chosen ones. Whoever guesses the most correct, WINS. To enter, you need to:

A: SHARE the project page Link (http://kck.st/1BzF3yh) AND

B: Submit your 14 guesses from the list of 80 Team Names to midnightcard@yahoo.com AND/OR anthony@kardify.com

There will be a WINNER from Midnight Cards AND from Kardify. Each person who Enters may Enter to both locations (only one Share required). You can even submit a different set of answers to each of the two locations. You may Enter the same set of answers to both, if your are confident in your choices. Because of the nature of this Contest, all personal friends and family members to Randy Butterfield are not eligible. Only ONE Entry per location, per person. WINNERS will be announced on Monday, April 6th at Noon EDT.

The list of 80 Team Names are available as a PDF (http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/TeamNames.pdf) or as a .RTF file (http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/TeamNames.rtf)

Let the Games begin!!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 11:57:02 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Several modest words about these decks:

http://playingcardcollector.net/2015/04/02/midnight-bowl-a-rama-playing-cards-by-randy-butterfield/

I read the article.  There appear to be more modest words about the sport of bowling than Randy's deck.  I understand his deck is bowling-themed, but perhaps more about the deck and less about the sport would be better - just give a link to a Wikipedia article on it if you think your readers don't know what bowling is.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

http://playingcardcollector.net/2015/04/02/midnight-bowl-a-rama-playing-cards-by-randy-butterfield/

I read the article.  There appear to be more modest words about the sport of bowling than Randy's deck.  I understand his deck is bowling-themed, but perhaps more about the deck and less about the sport would be better - just give a link to a Wikipedia article on it if you think your readers don't know what bowling is.

It’s all about Randy’s decks. I am glad you liked my article :) But I always thought that articles are commented in their appropriate “comment sections”… when a commenter wants to say something to an author. So, I guess your comment isn't for me :(

On the other hand, you have found your way to vary my “modest words” which you, as I know, don’t like. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

p.s. I have said about the decks more than any other blogger or reviewer I know... and almost everything what can be said at this moment.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Fun article Collector.  :D

These decks are wonderfully charming. I love the personality that's been injected into the courts. A little upturn of the mouth here, a slight shift in the posture there represented by the shading on the shirts. The word brilliant comes to mind as a description, that's before mentioning the suit identifiers on some of the courts clothing. They just all come together so well and easily recognizable as what they are, even if their ranks weren't clear. Which leads me to the indices. Chunky, easy to distinguish while still being custom in a fun and interesting way. The split on the court images mirroring themselves is usually something I don't much care for, on these decks they work very well. Implementing the bowling ball center with the curves on either side of the courts frame give a wonderfully balanced feel, even while being staggered.

The number cards are amazing! Inventive and fun through each and every number card. Variation in pip locations among the same number card would typically erk me. These have the exact opposite effect with me, I'm actively looking forward to seeing them. Thrilled at the changes between the pips from card to card. Four of a kind? Only on the 10's haha. Randy even found a way to take something else that typically makes me unhappy and turn it into a joy. Text on number cards. The unique names on these are entertaining, fun, and they just make me smile. Honestly, in some cases, the names even make me laugh.

I'm not a bowler, it's not something I've ever done with any kind of passion. I can't remember how long ago it was the last time I've bowled, it's been well over twenty years. Even so, I like every aspect of these decks. From the card backs to the logo to the tuck box itself, these are a delight. I'm so happy they've been funded I can't wait to get them in my paws. Bowling and Poker together hahaha, here I come!

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

Re: Midnight BOWL-A-RAMA Decks - (KS)
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Last 24 hours. If you're on the fence get in on these wonderful decks!  :D