You are Here:
Whispering Imps®: Gamesters Edition Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 7229 times)

Whispering Imps®: Gamesters Edition Playing Cards (KS)
« on: December 10, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Alright...I'm back....Hi everyone!  Been a busy year with work so I apologize for not contributing as much as I'd like to the forums.  Finally ready to launch the Gamesters.   I'll be raising funds on Kickstarter for this deck because it's a brand new design (and not a recolor).  I funded the Whispering Imps® Black Edition & Private Reserves myself because (for the most part) the artwork stayed the same and I didn't feel right using KS for funding a recolor.

Gamesters launch on Kickstarter Monday, December 15th.  Below are some photos that I'm happy to share with you of the new deck.

Enjoy,

-Chris

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:38:32 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Whispering Imps®: Gamesters Edition Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I still love that Joker  :)

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:23:01 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I still love that Joker  :)

That old style AOS is awesome as well.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Yeah, that Joker, Ace and tuck are just plain awesome.  The back is a bit plain and I believe they are pretty much standard courts so my interest level personally isn't there on this one.  However, if the price is right I may still have to get it just for those elements because they are so well done.  Very nice!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I'm absolutely loving this deck!

Will the courts be the same as the normal WI deck?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Yeah, that Joker, Ace and tuck are just plain awesome.  The back is a bit plain and I believe they are pretty much standard courts so my interest level personally isn't there on this one.

The courts are the same from the original Whispering Imps decks but are completely different from the standard Bicycle courts....these are a much older design.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:11:22 PM by see_squared »

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My big question is why are the indices angled in the corners?  USPC tried this once before (Bicycle Pro Poker-Peek) and it went over like a concrete airplane, though I will grant that the deck had other flaws as well.  Angled indices aren't as easily viewed, whether you're making a quick peek while playing Texas Hold 'Em or spreading your hand playing Five-Card Draw.  It becomes necessary to spread the cards wider than you'd normally have to.

Do me a favor - get in touch with me via PM.  I have an idea I'd like to discuss with you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »

troy

• True Member
My big question is why are the indices angled in the corners?

Exactly. I can't use a deck like that. Instantly a no go for me. (not that it means much)

I like the plain backs and the artwork...

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Yeah, that Joker, Ace and tuck are just plain awesome.  The back is a bit plain and I believe they are pretty much standard courts so my interest level personally isn't there on this one.

The courts are the same from the original Whispering Imps decks but are completely different from the standard Bicycle courts....these are a much older design.

I must admit that I'm not on board with the indices either. Aside from being inconvenient, I think it detracts from the deck's simple, direct theme.

Decks which use old indices styles, like the Triplicate deck reprint, usually consider authenticity over raw functionality. Decks that are designed from scratch (even using a vintage theme) I find work better with standard or redesigned indices. The card as is seems a bit cluttered. You could try to do something like Encarded's Deco deck.

Love the king, though!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:44:29 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
You could try to do something like Encarded's Deco deck.

Funny, was on the phone with Don & Paul this morning talking about this exactly. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:33:46 PM by see_squared »

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Funny, was on the phone with Don & Paul this morning talking about this exactly.

Indeed, you were!

The opposed-corner indices should also be vertical rather than horizontal - with the card rotated 90 degrees.  In other words, retain the orientation Paul used but place the pip under the value rather than next to it.  It permits making a tighter squeeze when viewing the indices in that corner.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Only one man's opinion, but still.. I'd much rather see indices the size like on the left side of the Deco, but in all four corners. Having the right side's angled disturbs my sense of order a bit.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO, you should really do something with indices for this deck. Artworks on faces of playing cards are nice. Can some darker red (for the red back design) and lighter grey (for the black back design) lines be added to the backs? I mean some variation of crossed lines forming diamonds (like Bee backs).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Only one man's opinion, but still.. I'd much rather see indices the size like on the left side of the Deco, but in all four corners. Having the right side's angled disturbs my sense of order a bit.

I get what you're saying, but the purpose of the smaller index was to allow peeks at the poker table of one's hole cards with less risk of flashing them to another player.  The change of orientation was to make the action more comfortable to the right-handed players (and the lefties like myself who've become accustomed to the right-handed design).  They can spread the cards in the exact same motion they'd use when peeking at the regular-sized indices, just with the cards rotated 90 degrees.

IMHO, you should really do something with indices for this deck. Artworks on faces of playing cards are nice. Can some darker red (for the red back design) and lighter grey (for the black back design) lines be added to the backs? I mean some variation of crossed lines forming diamonds (like Bee backs).

You mention he should "do something" with the indices.  What, exactly?  (You left that part out!)

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

You mention he should "do something" with the indices.  What, exactly?  (You left that part out!)

I think big additional letters near heads of courts are unnecessary. I agree with your idea regarding corner indices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
After a wonderful discussion with Don & Paul, I've made significant changes to the indices for the Gamesters.  I really believe this is a much stronger and useful approach to four corner indexing.  Paul's clever design worked well on Deco's and he was generous enough to give me the thumbs up on incorporating the design into the Gamesters.  Much cleaner and far more effective.  Looks really pretty when fanned in either direction too!  Thank you everyone for you input and support!

Kickstarter launches Monday, December 15, 2014 at 9am (pst) / 12pm (est)

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »

Encarded Inc.

• We make cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
The opposed-corner indices should also be vertical rather than horizontal - with the card rotated 90 degrees.  In other words, retain the orientation Paul used but place the pip under the value rather than next to it.  It permits making a tighter squeeze when viewing the indices in that corner.

Doing what you mentioned forces the pip to take up more space if spreading the cards from a lefty direction, you'd have to move the cards father apart to see both parts if the pip. I tried your suggestion but at first glance I felt that ended up looking more "wrong" because it will visually intrude into space that should remain as white space. It looks quite misaligned when viewed as an entire card, so the 90 degree side-by-side was the most visually appealing and usable after lots of experimentation. It's also more interesting, as standard 4 corner pips have been done many a time. :)

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Doing what you mentioned forces the pip to take up more space if spreading the cards from a lefty direction, you'd have to move the cards father apart to see both parts if the pip. I tried your suggestion but at first glance I felt that ended up looking more "wrong" because it will visually intrude into space that should remain as white space. It looks quite misaligned when viewed as an entire card, so the 90 degree side-by-side was the most visually appealing and usable after lots of experimentation. It's also more interesting, as standard 4 corner pips have been done many a time. :)

I suggested the tweak to the design based on right-hand poker players (as well as lefties accustomed to right-handed separation of cards in hand) wanting to make a peek at the table of their hole cards.  By turning the cards 90 degrees and giving them a right-handed spread, you're peeking at the small indices - I suggested that using a "vertical" index in this rotated position would permit the player to make only the tiniest separation to make these indices visible.  The smaller the spread, the less likely flashing will occur.

With this design, one could spread the cards vertically in the scenario I described, but that's a move most players wouldn't be accustomed to.  Additionally, spreading right-handedly means the player has to push the cards wider apart, defeating the purpose.

If your design intent is to make the cards more convenient for left-handed spreading, well, it probably works fine.  But it does appear that we're approaching the same issue from rather different perspectives.  Left-handed players wouldn't be as common as only about 1 in 10 people are left-handed, and most lefties have become accustomed to the right-handed spreading of cards.  I'm a lefty, and when I use Kevin Reylek's Bicycle Lefty Decks I actually find them a bit more difficult for table games like solitaire because of how accustomed I am to using right-handed cards.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
After a wonderful discussion with Don & Paul, I've made significant changes to the indices for the Gamesters.  I really believe this is a much stronger and useful approach to four corner indexing.  Paul's clever design worked well on Deco's and he was generous enough to give me the thumbs up on incorporating the design into the Gamesters.  Much cleaner and far more effective.  Looks really pretty when fanned in either direction too!  Thank you everyone for you input and support!

Kickstarter launches Monday, December 15, 2014 at 9am (pst) / 12pm (est)

Awesome! I'm loving the looks of those boxes too!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I really like these. I'm currently in for a brick. I would have gone for the top tier, but the shipping of $65 would have pretty much killed me :(

Nice cards though -- I can see why they're already a hit :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

Re: Whispering Imps®: Gamesters Edition Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
56 hours remaining on the Gamesters Edition.

Currently there is 1 slot open for a mixy brick with a private reserve deck. If you're interested hop in and check it out. I hope it's available for you.

(I think this AoS is one of the best I've seen in a long time.)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Woops, I was so excited and busy over these that I forgot to make a post here about this campaign. Sorry fellas. THEY'RE LIVE!

By the way: I think this is the quickest funded campaign I've ever witnessed. It was insanely fast. I was typing when I noticed this and I stopped to watch in awe for a few seconds.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
It's almost like the top tier was already sold out before the project even went live. I was refreshing like mad and the first screen that popped up with the project being live, also had the top tier sold out. Must be my slow 100 megabit directly to the provider work connection...

I guess that I'm a sucker for foil on cards!

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
It's almost like the top tier was already sold out before the project even went live. I was refreshing like mad and the first screen that popped up with the project being live, also had the top tier sold out. Must be my slow 100 megabit directly to the provider work connection...

I guess that I'm a sucker for foil on cards!

It definitely sold out in a matter of seconds... I managed to click on it when it was 5 of 5 remaining, but at the next screen it was already sold out! Oh well...