Bicycle Nouveau [KS] 2nd try

Author (Read 15644 times)

Re: New NOUVEAU Bicycle deck
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@bfplayingcards - I like the bottom one.  Now that is a balanced card....

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I agree with sprouts, the halo completes the look. I like it much more with it than without.  JMO
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 12:51:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The first one feels more in line with the Art Nouveau movement, the shadow ads a sense of modern aesthetic that I feel pulls away from the image and breaks up the continuity of the theme a little bit.

thank you all :) I don't know yet whether I'll use the halo effect or not; Justin O. you're right, it's not in line with Art Nouveau but rather a modern and three dimensional touch. I have yet to decide if I'll go with pure Nouveau or not :)

Whichever you decide, own the decision.  We have ideas and suggestions, but in the end they're just our opinions.  If you feel strongly about something like having or not having the "halo effect", don't let our opinions sway you too far from your artistic vision.

We once tried to make a playing card deck here on the forum.  There were dozens and dozens of people trying to do this with it or that with it or something else with it, with a teenager attempting to run the show.  You've probably never heard of it, though - it died under its own weight, never to fully see the light of day.  Trust me, it was for the better!  :))  The old expression about "too many cooks" was all too true...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 02:51:54 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I agree with sprouts, the halo completes the look. I like it much more with it than without.  JMO

Thank you sprouts1115 and Will W., I'm glad I finally found the right design :)

Whichever you decide, own the decision.  We have ideas and suggestions, but in the end they're just our opinions.  If you feel strongly about something like having or not having the "halo effect", don't let our opinions sway you too far from your artistic vision.

We once tried to make a playing card deck here on the forum.  There were dozens and dozens of people trying to do this with it or that with it or something else with it, with a teenager attempting to run the show.  You've probably never heard of it, though - it died under its own weight, never to fully see the light of day.  Trust me, it was for the better!  :))  The old expression about "too many cooks" was all too true...

Nope, actually I never heard about it but it goes like that, you can never please everyone even if you please most of people. I must say I'm very grateful for all the opinions, though; changing small details I got a balanced design (as sprouts1115 said). Sometimes even the most obvious things are hard to see until someone else points them out :)
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I agree with Justin O., but I also like "halo effect". Can it be modern understanding of Art Nouveau?

Also:
- can the top part of "Q" index be on the same level with the point of big Spades pip?
- can you try to prolong the embellished edge of the circle (near the Queen's hand) until mid of the card?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:14 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
New back, opinions please!  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:34:47 AM by bfplayingcards »
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:16 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Yay! I like it so much better. Thank you, that was driving me a little crazy. It has a much better flow to it.  :D
Thank you so much for sharing!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:59:05 AM by Rose »

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2014, 06:01:39 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Yay! I like it so much better. Thank you, that was driving me a little crazy. It has a much better flow to it.  :D
Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you Rose! I'm glad you like it!  :D

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
I can certainly see how much work went into this.  But for my tastes, it doesn't read Art Nouveau.  It reads geometric, now in a more stained-glass style.

I started to write a reply that talked about the stylized organic forms of Art Nouveau, building (occasionally) off of a single background circle, with offshoots of hyperbolas and parabolas, and the distinctive whiplash ... but then I realized you fully understand Art Nouveau--your courts have captured that magic wonderfully.

My problem is that the fronts and the backs just don't go together--they come across as very different styles.

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:09 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Comparing this to the previous back, I really like this more as well. Like Rose mentioned, the flow is definitely more eye-pleasing now.

As to how much of an Art Nouveau back this is i really can't comment. I know it but am not an expert on it. If you stand by your ground, maybe you can show us some processes during your KS project so others can understand how or where your back derived from. But this is definitely better than the previous one.

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Looks excellent - a vast improvement.

As some of the others, I'm not an Art Nouveau expert, but I don't have any issue with this back and those faces.

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The new back looks good, I thought the old back looked good. So it's all good in my opinion.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I can certainly see how much work went into this.  But for my tastes, it doesn't read Art Nouveau.  It reads geometric, now in a more stained-glass style.
My problem is that the fronts and the backs just don't go together--they come across as very different styles.

I agree with @GBAllison regarding back's style, but somehow it doesn't cause me any discomfort. I guess this is all my subjective taste :-\

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I started to write a reply that talked about the stylized organic forms of Art Nouveau, building (occasionally) off of a single background circle, with offshoots of hyperbolas and parabolas, and the distinctive whiplash ... but then I realized you fully understand Art Nouveau--your courts have captured that magic wonderfully.

Thank you GBAllison for your opinion! :) I'll think about what you said, maybe I can come up with something :)

Comparing this to the previous back, I really like this more as well. Like Rose mentioned, the flow is definitely more eye-pleasing now.

As to how much of an Art Nouveau back this is i really can't comment. I know it but am not an expert on it. If you stand by your ground, maybe you can show us some processes during your KS project so others can understand how or where your back derived from. But this is definitely better than the previous one.

Looks excellent - a vast improvement.

As some of the others, I'm not an Art Nouveau expert, but I don't have any issue with this back and those faces.

The new back looks good, I thought the old back looked good. So it's all good in my opinion.

I agree with @GBAllison regarding back's style, but somehow it doesn't cause me any discomfort. I guess this is all my subjective taste :-\

Thank you for your opinions  :) :) I'm glad you like it  :D

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Love the new back. Keep trying to find the start and the end and whats connected. I love how it looks and you cant tell.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:54 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Love the new back. Keep trying to find the start and the end and whats connected. I love how it looks and you cant tell.

Thank you John B.  :) ;D

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
So I thought I'd try to fill the back, let me know what you think  :)

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 06:45:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I thought I'd try to fill the back, let me know what you think  :)

To me, any of those designs would look great.  Just be aware of the limitations of the card printing process - check with your printer to be certain they can print at that resolution without losing any of the detail.  You might also want to choose a brighter color for the line work to give it a little better contrast, at least in some areas, for better visibility.

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like three of the four. The one I don't care for is the one that will probably be the biggest pain to print. Lower left. The other three look much better in my opinion. Great stuff.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
The second one.

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2014, 01:24:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Consider what the back design would look like for a SECOND deck with the same faces.  No changes to the actual artwork other than some color changes, enough to make the deck easily distinguishable from the original.  Some projects set a stretch goal for a second deck, or simply start as a two-deck project, because of the popularity of "poker pairs" - two decks identical except for the back coloring.  At a busy night of card games with friends, one deck can be in play while the other deck is being shuffled and prepared for the next game or next hand.  This tradition of using two nearly-identical decks probably started with poker and bridge, but it's popular enough that many people do this regardless of the actual game played, especially when trying to fit in the maximum number of games in a limited period of time.  The reason they're most commonly known as a poker pair is that most modern poker game sets include some different-colored poker chips and two such decks - same design, different back colors.

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
To me, any of those designs would look great.  Just be aware of the limitations of the card printing process - check with your printer to be certain they can print at that resolution without losing any of the detail.  You might also want to choose a brighter color for the line work to give it a little better contrast, at least in some areas, for better visibility.

Consider what the back design would look like for a SECOND deck with the same faces. 

The 3rd one is the most difficult to print and I think it's less Nouveau than the others; yeah, we already decided that this time there will be a special edition deck :)

I like three of the four. The one I don't care for is the one that will probably be the biggest pain to print. Lower left. The other three look much better in my opinion. Great stuff.

The second one.

Thank you for your opinions Fes and Collector :)

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Personally I like the first one (top left). It has a better definition and more contrast.  :)
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2014, 03:16:01 AM »

bfplayingcards

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Personally I like the first one (top left). It has a better definition and more contrast.  :)

Thank you Will W.  :)

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I really like the brighter corner dials on 1,2 and 4, but the overall even tone look of the 3rd one, and thing the third option with the higher contract corner dials would looks stellar.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.