Kings - Madison, McKinnon, Ellusionist - MARKED DECK

Author (Read 23570 times)

Kings - Madison, McKinnon, Ellusionist - MARKED DECK
« on: October 11, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Ellusionist: Magic Beyond Belief shared a link.

13 hours ago

http://www.ellusionist.com/kings.html
 The Countdown Begins

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:39:38 AM by Don Boyer »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: KINGS - MADISON & MCKINNON
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:10 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
From what I've seen from both of their Instagram feeds, my best best is that they will be releasing a limited (as always) deck of playing cards wrapped in gold foil. The back design has their collaboration logo on the back of it, akin to the Madison Players awhile back.

Their sheer bada**ness seems intriguing.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It would be funny if instead it was just a new magic DVD release...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'm pretty sure it's this jmage.
And the gold foiled wrapped deck, as mentioned above.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:01:58 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
If you whisper, it's not really a lie. Shhh :)) (sarcastic)

Example:

Reserved for Danial and Peter only. Never to be Sold... (whispering) Unless you have eBay and want to pay $300 to $800 a brick.

Act fast,  only 10 remain... (whispering) Until next week when we re-post more on eBay. Shhh :))

*I wonder if anyone feels bad for those hardcore fans that paid all that money when the scarlet deck (I'm not allowed to talk or write about) was released. Now getting cheaper and cheaper on eBay. Danial's best fans are now the biggest suckers.

"Live like Kings"... (whispering) Pay like peasants. :))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:14:58 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you whisper, it's not really a lie. Shhh :)) (sarcastic)

Example:

Reserved for Danial and Peter only. Never to be Sold... (whispering) Unless you have eBay and want to pay $300 to $800 a brick.

Act fast,  only 10 remain... (whispering) Until next week when we re-post more on eBay. Shhh :))

*I wonder if anyone feels bad for those hardcore fans that paid all that money when the scarlet deck (I'm not allowed to talk or write about) was released. Now getting cheaper and cheaper on eBay. Danial's best fans are now the biggest suckers.

"Live like Kings"... (whispering) Pay like peasants. :))

Why so secretive?  Speak plainly, man!

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:30:09 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I cannot be the only one who finds the whole "let's pretend to be the most badass people who have ever walked the planet" thing beyond lame. Come on. You're selling cards, not making a Hollywood blockbuster. Don't get me wrong, Madison and McKinnon are tremendously talented performers and deserve all of the respect that they get for the skill they have, but I really wish they'd just drop the whole "badass, way cooler than you'll ever be" attitude. Let's just see the cards and let them speak for themselves- as far as I'm concerned, Madison and McKinnon should ditch this whole charade, Corona included.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:26:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I cannot be the only one who finds the whole "let's pretend to be the most badass people who have ever walked the planet" thing beyond lame. Come on. You're selling cards, not making a Hollywood blockbuster. Don't get me wrong, Madison and McKinnon are tremendously talented performers and deserve all of the respect that they get for the skill they have, but I really wish they'd just drop the whole "badass, way cooler than you'll ever be" attitude. Let's just see the cards and let them speak for themselves- as far as I'm concerned, Madison and McKinnon should ditch this whole charade, Corona included.

I dunno...  In that first picture, Daniel appears to be holding a pistol in his right hand.  That's a little badass...

The image helps sell products, plain and simple.  You're tired of it, others are tired of it, but yeah, they're doing it to sell products.  "If cool people are using it, maybe I'll be cool if I use it!"  It's a fallacy that advertising has been promoting for decades.

I met Daniel and Peter at the Ellusionist event last winter in Brooklyn - he's a pretty down-to-Earth kind of guy, the furthest person from being an egomaniac you're likely to meet.

And remeber - we've had no solid confirmation that it's a deck - or just a deck - that's being advertised here.  Could be their new wardrobe line for all we know...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:27:04 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:38:02 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I find it embarrassing to say I have no idea what the link sent me to...

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

If THIS is the link you're talking about...

...it's just a countdown clock to whatever "Kings" is supposed to be.  It comes out in a bit less than nine-and-a-half days.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

If THIS is the link you're talking about...

...it's just a countdown clock to whatever "Kings" is supposed to be.  It comes out in a bit less than nine-and-a-half days.
Yes, the "join us" button...am I joining a cult?  :o JK, looks great!  :D

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

I dunno...  In that first picture, Daniel appears to be holding a pistol in his right hand.  That's a little badass...

The image helps sell products, plain and simple.  You're tired of it, others are tired of it, but yeah, they're doing it to sell products.  "If cool people are using it, maybe I'll be cool if I use it!"  It's a fallacy that advertising has been promoting for decades.

I met Daniel and Peter at the Ellusionist event last winter in Brooklyn - he's a pretty down-to-Earth kind of guy, the furthest person from being an egomaniac you're likely to meet.

And remeber - we've had no solid confirmation that it's a deck - or just a deck - that's being advertised here.  Could be their new wardrobe line for all we know...

I think you mean Peter's holding the pistol.
You're right, there's no confirmation it's anything just yet, but it's most likely a deck. The kings logo is the exact same one on the deck. However, they could be releasing other stuff along with it - maybe a card in bottle routine ....

EDIT: think this is confirmation that there's at least a deck haha
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:19:29 PM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I agree. I'm finding Madison to be quite comical these days. I'm not laughing with him, I'm laughing at him. He has lost his grip of reality. Maybe they are trying to be like Dan Bilzerian, who happens to be a real gambler except there's no money and no woman. They're probably big pussycats in real life. :))

I'm sure they are both very nice in person but actions speak much loader then words. Daniel's actions online are not of a humble down to earth person.

That's one of the things I admire about David Blaine. David could sell his decks for $15 - $20 a deck if he wanted. But he takes care of his best fans by allowing us to buy his product on release at a fair price.

It's just disrespectful and arrogant to do what Madison is doing on eBay. If I was someone who bought his new scarlet deck when it was on his website, I would be soooo pissed. But yet "never to be sold". Real nice guy!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:43:45 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
As much as I respect Madison, his badass act is getting stale.

It may have been cool and new when the Players and Rounders came out, but it seems like the ads are getting more hammy with every deck he releases.

From what I've seen on his instagram, the deck isn't anything spectacular. The box looks neat, though.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 07:36:58 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
All hail the Kings of $#it! Way too cool for me.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:57:25 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's just disrespectful and arrogant to do what Madison is doing on eBay. If I was someone who bought his new scarlet deck when it was on his website, I would be soooo pissed. But yet "never to be sold". Real nice guy!

What, exactly, is he doing on eBay?  I checked ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and found no account in his name or anything like it.

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Don, it's his son I believe, the username is LutherMadison. That account was selling private reserve decks at something like £50+ per deck. He has regularly shared links on Facebook and Twitter to ebay listings from that account.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:31:33 PM by Paul.Middleton »
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

What, exactly, is he doing on eBay?  I checked ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and found no account in his name or anything like it.

*Apologize in advance, Im posting this from memory.

Madison has a deck printed that is supposedly for his use only called "private reserve". Its basically the scarlet version of the White Rounders deck. Madison claims "never to be for sale". So he sells one on eBay to see how much people are willing to pay, knowing full well he has every intention of selling them. I say knows full well because he sells them by the brick and certainly had enough made. I think he gets around $300-450+ for the first single eBay deck sold by auction. Shortly after, he announces a 10 minute window that he is going to allow people to buy them. The price, 1000 pounds (about $1,500) for a brick and 100 pounds (about $160) for one deck. Makes it look like he's doing us all a big favor, we should be so grateful. Even gives an extra deck for every deck bought (big whoop). About a week later he creates a second buying window for 15 minutes. Again 1000 pounds /12 and 100 pounds /1. Basically setting the bar for eBay sales.

We get to the eBay fiasco. The first few bricks auctioned sold for about $700 - $800, and single decks were being sold at a fixed price of 52 pounds (about $80). The whole time advertising never to be sold while being re-listing on eBay over and over again. Keep in mind, some of his most beloved fans who bought the decks at the beginning of the release, paying the highest price.

About a month ago, he posts a message "your welcome". Again like he's doing us any favors. The never to be for sale Private Reserve decks are on his website once again for 50% less. Now 500 pounds /12 and 52 pounds /1. In my opinion, he was trying to keep the eBay auction prices up, using his website to establish false value. Over and over again still re-listing bricks of private reserve on eBay, prices getting lower and lower 220 pounds ($350)...

That's basically how I remember it. Please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

@ Don: You say he's a really nice guy. I'll put it to you like this. Based on his actions in this example... Either he's one of the dumbest I've ever experienced OR he's one of the most fake. Personally, I don't think he's dumb. This is not a considerate person who cares about people buying his product. F-U, Pay Me. Yes, we have a choice but so does he. Madison made his choice!

These are the Madison Rounders Private Reserve playing cards.
This auction is for ONE BRICK (12 DECKS), brand new and sealed.
Only 2500 of these decks exist and they will NEVER be available for sale.
These decks were created by Daniel Madison for his own private use.
This deck is a very special Private Reserve edition of the Scarlet Rounders.  In this deck, Daniel changed most of the face cards, added a new joker and a gaff card for a gambling demonstration.  The box is completely red with the white M emblems on the back and the deck name on the top of the tuck.  This deck was Traditionally Cut on a new stock, not too much unlike the feel of a Bee deck - all to Daniel's professional specifications.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:17:12 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, it's his son I believe, the username is LutherMadison. That account was selling private reserve decks at something like £50+ per deck. He has regularly shared links on Facebook and Twitter to ebay listings from that account.

Well, in that case, I saw no active auctions for anyone with a name remotely like Daniel Madison's, which would include his son's.  And that's not Daniel doing anything, it's his son, right?

I checked out his website, and one of the windows of opportunity is open now.  52 GBP per pack, 500 GBP per brick.  Expensive, right?

Guess what?  It's his bloody deck!  He can sell it for whatever price he thinks the market will bear.  They could be a thousand pounds each, if he wants them to be.

Right now, I'm hearing a lot of pissing and whining about the price of the deck - and all of those complaints arise from one simple cause: you want one but can't afford the price.  Yell and scream about it all you want, but bear one important thing in mind: you will NEVER own every single deck that you want to own.  Some decks are terribly expensive, others are just so limited you'll never see one and the reasons go on and on - unless, of course, your desire for playing cards is more limited than all the limited edition decks out there.

If people are foolish enough to spend 52 GBP on a pack of brand-new USPC-made playing cards, LET THEM.  That's less money they have to spend when the next great deck comes out, giving you a better shot at getting it.  It is not written anywhere that you have a natural human right to own whatever decks you want to own and at the prices you're willing to pay for them.  It's NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  The sooner one accepts this, the sooner they can be at peace with their collection and its "limitations".

You guys could try the patience of a Zen Buddhist monk...

Victor...  Even while he's not here, he causes trouble.  He will always whine about things being too expensive or why people don't give him free samples.  If it wasn't that, he'd likely whine about how shiny the sun is or isn't, why snow is so dry or so wet, how long or short the day is, why his fingernails never stay clean, why his porridge is too hot/too cold/just right...he doesn't seem to be happy unless he's miserable and he wants you to be miserable as well because misery loves company.  We have a guy just like him where I work.  NO ONE likes working with him and they drown him out at every possible opportunity they can.  In enough time, people will learn to ignore anything he has to say, because most people prefer winners over whiners.  When that day comes, he'll be the monkey in the tree all alone, with no one left to fling poop at but himself.

Now, if I remember correctly, this is a topic about a deck called KINGS being released by Ellusionist with Daniel Madison and Peter McKinnon.  Please discuss THAT deck all you want - but if you want to continue ranting about some other deck, do so in the appropriate topic!  If one doesn't exist, MAKE ONE!

On the topic of Kings, we inch closer to the deadline: Wednesday of next week (the 22nd) at 20:00 UTC, 4:00pm US/Canada Eastern, 1:00pm US/C Pacific.  Who else is praying that it doesn't have Daniel's custom faces?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:34:16 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 03:26:51 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Don, just to clarify I wasn't whinging. I was simply answering your question.

You are quite right he can do as he pleases with his own decks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:58:22 AM by Paul.Middleton »
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, just to clarify I what whinging. I was simply answering your question.

You are quite right he can do as he pleases with his own decks.

Aside from the comment about me not finding any Madisons selling stuff on eBay, that post wasn't pointed in your direction.  I should have made that clearer, so my apologies.  It was largely in response to what Card Player stated.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:58 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
No problem, thanks!
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:33 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah you hooligans!! Get off Mr Boyers lawn with your sassy mouths and your fancy ebay talk!  ;)

Madison himself states the deck was made for him to use and  give away..  never to be sold. He then on the same page is selling said deck with a  markup  based on a lie that he  just got done perpetuating. He is making money off the susceptible. He is  feeding off those willing to  eat any kind of  turd sandwich story he throws in their direction,  so  long as as it's done in a  torchered soul, totally badass way . .  might fall under legal, but it is nowhere close to ethical. 

In closing..
Either he's one of the dumbest I've ever experianced OR he's one of the most fake.

SooooOOOoooOOOOo not the right time to misspell a word.  ;)
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Well, in that case, I saw no active auctions for anyone with a name remotely like Daniel Madison's, which would include his son's.  And that's not Daniel doing anything, it's his son, right?

I checked out his website, and one of the windows of opportunity is open now.  52 GBP per pack, 500 GBP per brick.  Expensive, right?

Guess what?  It's his bloody deck!  He can sell it for whatever price he thinks the market will bear.  They could be a thousand pounds each, if he wants them to be.

Right now, I'm hearing a lot of pissing and whining about the price of the deck - and all of those complaints arise from one simple cause: you want one but can't afford the price.  Yell and scream about it all you want, but bear one important thing in mind: you will NEVER own every single deck that you want to own.  Some decks are terribly expensive, others are just so limited you'll never see one and the reasons go on and on - unless, of course, your desire for playing cards is more limited than all the limited edition decks out there.

Just to clarify, I don't want one. I never did. Not even a free one. I just think it's wrong to do something just because you can and get away with it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:26:37 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I have to agree - I don't want any piece of those decks either, and nothing he's doing is illegal, but that doesn't make it any less douchey or "wrong" from a (my) ethical perspective. Insisting something is never going to be for sale and then repeatedly offering it for sale is deceptive and unkind to your fans/customers. Acting like he's doing you a massive favor after essentially screwing you over is pretty darn douchey.

Sorry Don, you might not have found anything on ebay from your search, but I'm sure any number of people here can confirm that he has linked to ebay auctions by a user with "Madison" in his name, and also sold from his website.

Once again, no one's accusing him of doing anything illegal, people are just unhappy with how he treats his fans and customers. (also possibly to do with how he acts like a badass all the time =P). For many of us, it has absolutely nothing to do with pissing or whining nor wanting the deck (we don't) or not being able to afford it (some of us can - it just doesn't make sense).