Hello everyone!
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »

markallender

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Hello everyone! My name is Mark Allender and I am a designer living in the Akron-Cleveland Ohio area. I have been interested in playing card designs for a little over a year. I have one successful Kickstarter campaign under my belt that featured several preliminary designs. My style tends toward the artistic and has been described as "quirky" and "fun." I often break many so-called sacred rules of card design and then rigidly adhere to others. 

I do have one project live on Kickstarter called "INTERFERENCE" - http://kck.st/Xc9avX - going after a "post-industrial, post-apocalyptic wasteland" sort of feel here.

Thanks!

Mark Allender

Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, we're glad to have you with us, Mark.  Please make yourself at home and if you have a question, ask!

How did the previous deck project go?  I know you got funded, but what happened after that?  Everything go smoothly or a bit rough at points, have any problems with or accolades for the printer, etc.?

Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hey Mark, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing your opinions on things and hope you choose to participate in the discussions. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »

markallender

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
My first card project was very much an exercise. I learned about Kickstarter, I got comments from card enthusiasts, I learned about materials. It was good. One of the things I learned about Kickstarter is that planning to break even is a bad idea! I was about $500 over budget - and for a single dad on a graphic designer's salary, that is nothing to sneeze at.

I used a printer out of India.  I am not completely pleased with their work.  One of the decks in that series was improperly aligned. I asked for a reprint, which they did, but they messed that up as well. Plus the actual cards themselves don't hold a candle to USPCC cards - zero glide for one. But as I say, it was a learning experience! Very glad I did i!