Computers for design work?

Author (Read 576 times)

Computers for design work?
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I'm thinking about buying another computer. Mine is a few years old now. I can't go mega bucks, but can go a fair amount. Will most likely be using adobe CC
I've never used an Apple, have always had pc's

What are some preferences amongst the designers here?

I'm assuming touch screen capable

Laptop? Desk Top? All in one?

again assuming a 23" or 27" display would be preferable, What's the smallest recommended screen?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Computers for design work?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
The smallest I would ever go is 15".  My full time job requires a lot of video editing and graphic design and this is just big enough that if I don't have an external monitor I'm still ok.

Also, I use a mac but that is because I need Final Cut Pro.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:54:15 PM by Shebhnt »

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:42 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I've used macs in previous jobs and at college but I've always owned pcs mainly because they're a lot cheaper. In my opinion you can do what you need on a pc. At some point I need to upgrade to something better because mine tends to crash when I get into heavy use of illustrator. Which tells me I should probably get a mac because they wouldn't crash as much.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I had both Mac and Pc and I prefer desktop Pcs. Costs less, so you can chose a more powerful configuration.
Anyways, I think both Mac and Pcs are good for Creative Cloud, so choose what you like more.

I prefer big screens of course, but I think you can work fine on a 21". A 17" may be a bit less confortable, but it also can work (I known a great art director who works on a 15" laptop, and did awensome works)

I think a touschscreen would be a waste of money if you choose a big screen (I think they are expensive and probably won't help you much if you need to design). I suggest you a bigger non-touch screen and maybe a wacom pen tablet.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Giovanni

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm agreed on most points here.  I have a Mac laptop for general use and a Mac mini connected to an HDTV and several hard drives as a media server.  I've used Macs and I've used PCs.  There's no denying that PCs are cheaper.  But there's also no denying that Macs have been far more reliable and easier to use for me.  I've had all of two system crashes on a Mac and in both cases the computer fixed itself without me having to lift a finger.  The Blue Screen of Death has been banished from my home!

If you go Mac (which I doubt you will), the Mac Store online sells refurbished models.  Apple makes sure they're working perfectly and guarantees them as if they were new.  You only get to pick the available configurations, but you also can save hundreds over new equipment.

If you're sticking with PCs, Dell has a nearly-identical thing going on their website.  Refurbs guaranteed like new, no customizing the configs but decent savings to be had.

In each case, the important factor is that it's the manufacturer doing the refurbishing, not some know-nothing third party.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/