You are Here:
Create-A-Deck Thread - what will you come up with?

Author (Read 13027 times)

Create-A-Deck Thread - what will you come up with?
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:49:20 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
This should be real fun considering how many creative people are on here. Here is how this works. Fill out the form below (copy + paste it into your post) as best you can. You can create as many decks as you'd like to any extent that you want to. When our Des+Dev board rolls around I'll move this thread there. Hopefully this will give you guys a little bit of insight into how a real deck of cards is created. Here is the best part: If I like any of your ideas enough, I will bring them to life! I'll create a strong visual concept to match what you write. Anyone that wants to join in on the fun and design an idea they adore is more than welcome to as well. Let's see how big we can make this thread!

Code: [Select]
[b]REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH THE NAME OF YOUR DECK[/b]

[b]Theme:[/b]

[b]Extent of customization:[/b]

[b]Pick two distinct, innovative features your cards will include, sell us on the ideas. Replace this text with those two ideas.[/b]

[b]Choose your color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?[/b]

[b]The storyline of the deck:[/b]

REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH ANY VISUAL CONCEPTS YOU MAKE.

REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH ANY AND ALL ADDITIONAL INFO YOU WANT TO PROVIDE.

Here is an example of what your idea may look like. Keep in mind the following is very simple and yours may or may not be more complex:

Honey-Bee Playing Cards

Theme: Buzzing Bees throughout! Buzzing Bees throughout!

Extent of customization: Custom backs, custom Jokers, custom Ace of Spades, recolored court cards

These cards will include a SymmetryPip layout as well as a unique, foil deck seal.

The colors used are gold, black and white.

The story line of the deck: n/a

The Honey-Bee's are a deck of cards that utilize the wonderful repeat back design we all have become fond of when it comes to a Bee deck. However, the deck would come in both a bordered and unbordered versions. The back design would be a honey-comb pattern that uses shades of gold and black for depth. The design would give the illusion of three dimensions due to the shading. The Ace of Spades would be a modified, standard Bee ace of Spades in full color with added shading and depth, as well as a few unique optical illusions to add to the intrigue of the cards. The Jokers are custom-drawn bumble bees swarming together around a nest. One Joker would have a random swarm while the other Joker would have the Bee's swarm into a subtle reveal you have to squint to see.

Now let's see what you can come up with. It can be as silly or as serious as you like - all ideas are welcome.  :)

Forum Founder.

Re: Create-A-Deck Thread - what will you come up with?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:52:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Ill be posting what I have so far soon. But I just want to say that this thread is awesome! AND if you like someones design, you will make it!!! Thats amazing! Thank you Alex!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Splatter Deck

Theme: Paint/Paint Splatter

Extent of customization: Custom backs, custom Ace of Spades, recolored court cards, and possibly custom Jokers

Primary colors used: Light Blue, Black, White [there will be other colors but I am just starting this design]

If anyone wants to help me design, I need help probably! Im at a blank point where I can't think of anything else to do to the back design. And I am terrible with photoshop!  :'(

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
The Design board isn't quite up ~ aren't you getting ahead of yourself Alex? lol~

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The Design board isn't quite up ~ aren't you getting ahead of yourself Alex? lol~

It's always good to have some preliminary posts to move into the new boards.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
The Nature Deck

A deck of cards made from a tree:

Custom back, Custom hand drawn jokers, custom AoS with trees, semi custom/brighter court cards:

Will feature large pip/symmetry pip layout as well as metallic inks and the new magic finish

The main color would be a rose red and subtle hints of green/nature brown

The storyline of the deck:

This deck came into my head while i was talking to a friend who works for the ISFoundation, a group that protects nature. The 2 jokers will feature a simple bouquet of flowers, both jokers being identical. This deck will have white border that fades into the card, but the fade is not visible while doing fans/spreads. This deck will have 2 AoS one being the "Bee ace carved into the side of a tree, and the other being the "Tally Ho" ace being carved into the leaves on a tree. The deck will be branded by "Bee/Tally ho" if possible and will be printed on "premium bee stock" and have the "magic finish".

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:42:20 AM by JDS1337 »
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have two ideas but I'll start with this one.

Flex-View Poker Cards

Playing cards with three different types of indices, specifically designed for different types of poker.

All faces custom, based on standard deck faces (see below).  Traditionally cut with Tally-Ho stock & Linoid finish.

Colors will be deep crimson and black, including court cards.  Backs will be black on red, red on black.

I thought of these cards as a possible improvement to the PokerPeek design that's common with Texas Hold 'Em players - I wanted a card that would be well-suited for both Hold 'Em and other games where the cards are held fanned in your hand.  I'm no artist, so I'll try describing my vision for them.  In the left corners, a standard index.  In the right corners, a "peek" index, smaller.  Dead center and slightly elongated, pips/court designs, borderless with a white background.  On the left side of this, an elongated jumbo index done vertically.  (Same index on the left when card is inverted.)  The nine and six will have a line under the number to indicate orientation of the number and prevent confusion similar to what happened when PokerPeek was introduced at the 2007 WSOP.  Peek index corners will be kept as empty as possible aside from that index, to reduce chances of an opponent seeing a card flash.  Card backs will be a simple, refined, white-bordered pattern, without a great deal of detail to reduce the possibility of visible markings - perhaps a simple medium-to-large two-way geometric pattern.  Not a great deal of flash, probably not a great deal of appeal to the magic/cardistry folks, but poker players might welcome them with open arms.

There are possible ways to fiddle with the jumbo indices and the pips/courts, even possibly making them with a one-way face, but the basic concepts of a standard index left corner and a peek index right corner are the main design ideas here.  They'll function as well at Hold 'Em as they would in a "squeezers" type game with players holding card hands.

My other idea was something simple, though short on details right now.  While staring at the back of the Guardians I got the though of creating a black deck with a thin white border on the card backs and fronts.  Done right it would look really elegant and wouldn't suffer the edge damage of ordinary black cards.  Or, and this is real pie-in-the-sky thinking, what about a borderless black deck with a black card stock?  Edge damage would be a thing of the past, though printing would have to be radically different, probably in the form of some kind of applique ink akin to silkscreen.  Imagine a silkscreened deck of cards?  And the work it would take to make it?  It would practically require retooling the card printing process - but it would be pretty cool to have black cards that don't need to be markered on the edges to retain that cool, all-black look.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:49:01 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:30 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
You guys ideas on the new deck is interesting.
I'll be looking forward to see the image of your project.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I am too lazy to repost, so – http://bit.ly/uSSUpK
Almost everything as you like, Alex, without borders:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I want to see more ideas - keep them coming guys!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
What do you guys think of my design?

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

I like it, but as of now it's not for me.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I've heard you talk about it before and I can tell you have a lot of inspiration and drive for designing a deck. The look isn't  my type, but you've got a good starting point. I think it needs more detail. It is a little plain looking, but I'm sure you'll be able to fix that. I look forward to see what you do with it and what other ideas you come up with!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Well what do you people think of mine?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well what do you people think of mine?
You people? lol jk
I like the idea! Sounds like it could be really good! I'd like to actually see it though

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Symphony/Requiem (Ambigram title)

Music, Renaissance Art and Modernist art

Backs, Jokers, Aces, Court cards and tuck box fully custom.  Modified pips (hollow and bordered, aces same but larger), hand-painted numbers (indices?).

The court cards are depicted with orchestral/folk instruments rather than weapons.  The design would be hand-painted recreations of Renaissance style artwork (Symphony) but when flipped, would show the same image with a modernist, darker take on it (Requiem), like Francis Bacon's study of Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X;

I.e., the mirror image common on court cards would display different images, or rather an original and a manipulation of it.

The back design would be an elaborate treble clef, white on black fading to a thin white border.

For the jokers, I was thinking maybe one could be just the Symphony style, the other Requiem, both of a Jester playing an electric guitar, or maybe a bass, slap-syle with an afro, looking like something out of Parliament;

No one ways, gimmicks or reveals included.  If I think of a good idea for a trick deck (well, something like the Apex, probably; not a straight-up gimmick deck) I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:41:19 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »

Overflight

• Twitter:
Airflow

Theme: Aerodynamics, Aviation

Extent of customization: Backs, Jokers, Court Cards, Aces

Color scheme: Black, white, light blue for streamlines

The storyline of the deck: n/a

The main theme of the deck lies in the name: if you have ever read any book about flight, aerodynamics or fluid mechanics you've seen countless images such as this:

The main idea would be to have each of the aces look like a diagram showing fluid flow around the pip. Of course, this isn't meant to be an accurate CFD simulation: the focus would be on looking as harmonious as possible meaning it would be at best a representation of inviscid flow (which as everyone who ever took a fluid mechanics class knows is an EXTREME simplification) and even that would require some tweaking. The back cards would also have an harmonious design along the lines of this:

The court cards would have modern aviation uniforms.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:13:17 PM by Overflight »

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sat down a few nights ago with no clear concept and let this one come together organically. Have several color concepts but this one is most intriguing to me. Might explore some of the other card elements and see where things go…

Deck Name: Filament

Theme: Power must be carried from the source.

Extent of customization: Custom, highly detailed  and layered back. Custom indexes/pip design, borderless custom court cards and Ace of Spades.

Two distinct, innovative features your cards will include:

There are hundreds of white decks. There are dozens of all black decks. Why, then, are there hardly any decks in between? Combining the better long-term usability of a white deck with the more sinister nature of a black deck, Filament will feature warm gray faces with near black and red accents. The outer border of the card will be in gray which will not be as susceptible to the general "chipping edge" problem that plagues black decks, but gives some variation from the standard white pasteboard.

Filament will also feature 'asymmetrical symmetry" in the back, with what appears to be at first glance a seemingly random array of filaments that are still perfectly two-way for maximum usability.

Filament will be printed by USPCC on premium stock with the Magic finish

Choose your color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?

Near black, grays, subdued dark red with accents of golden yellow.

We are all surrounded by power. Our homes, our cars, our schools and workplaces. Filaments of wire carry power and light to us all, and the Filament deck harnesses that same energy, giving you the power to perform illusions that take everyone by surprise.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sat down a few nights ago with no clear concept and let this one come together organically. Have several color concepts but this one is most intriguing to me. Might explore some of the other card elements and see where things go…

Deck Name: Filament

Theme: Power must be carried from the source.

Extent of customization: Custom, highly detailed  and layered back. Custom indexes/pip design, borderless custom court cards and Ace of Spades.

Two distinct, innovative features your cards will include:

There are hundreds of white decks. There are dozens of all black decks. Why, then, are there hardly any decks in between? Combining the better long-term usability of a white deck with the more sinister nature of a black deck, Filament will feature warm gray faces with near black and red accents. The outer border of the card will be in gray which will not be as susceptible to the general "chipping edge" problem that plagues black decks, but gives some variation from the standard white pasteboard.

Filament will also feature 'asymmetrical symmetry" in the back, with what appears to be at first glance a seemingly random array of filaments that are still perfectly two-way for maximum usability.

Filament will be printed by USPCC on premium stock with the Magic finish

Choose your color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?

Near black, grays, subdued dark red with accents of golden yellow.

We are all surrounded by power. Our homes, our cars, our schools and workplaces. Filaments of wire carry power and light to us all, and the Filament deck harnesses that same energy, giving you the power to perform illusions that take everyone by surprise.
Its cool but it seems too much like the Vortex deck to me

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I'm curious how you feel it "seems too much like" Vortex? Admittedly it has a circular thing in the middle with stuff around it, but then again I have several decks that have been around a while that do as well. I have Vortexes on order and certainly don't want to copy, but pretty much all the details, colors, textures and feel are pretty different to me...

Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I'm curious how you feel it "seems too much like" Vortex? Admittedly it has a circular thing in the middle with stuff around it, but then again I have several decks that have been around a while that do as well. I have Vortexes on order and certainly don't want to copy, but pretty much all the details, colors, textures and feel are pretty different to me...
Yea but the actual design is similar

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Regarding Large Circles in the back... we have the Tally-Ho Circles, Crowns, Vortex, Galvanic and now infinity. Try to get creative guys~

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Regarding Large Circles in the back... we have the Tally-Ho Circles, Crowns, Vortex, Galvanic and now infinity. Try to get creative guys~

Deck one, felt i should throw that in their.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Deck one, felt i should throw that in their.

Absolutely. I stand corrected.

Edit: Plus the Samurai and Dose as well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:45:20 PM by PoundFFFFFF »

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I guess we shouldn't mention the 3000 decks with guys riding old bikes. Nobody seems to complain about those. :)

Circles do lend themselves quite nicely to a symmetrical two-way design so it's not surprising there are a handful of decks that use it. The central circle is a lovely design motif and can be used in many ways.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What about the Actuators as far as circular symmetry goes? I love what Lance did there.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm no designer, but for true symmetry you have three options, right?  Vertical symmetry (left side and right side mirror each other), horizontal symmetry (top and bottom halves mirror each other) and diagonal symmetry (cut a diagonal line through the pattern and the left side is a flipped image of the right one or vice versa, same result either way).  These can be combined - Bicycle Riders (and many others) employ all three.  If you have vertical and horizontal symmetry, I think you sort of get diagonal symmetry automatically.  But some deck back design can be diagonal without being vertical or horizontal - Rich Ferguson's deck has diagonal symmetry along both possible axes as well as being symmetrical but flipped vertically or horizontally.

Think about this long enough and it could make you crazy like a math major...
 ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I used all three symmetry's with the Vortex. It took forever to make that back two-way (minus the one-way I put in for spotting cards). The issues I had were properly centering everything to the millimeter. When I received the first Protodeck, I quickly realized that the design was completely asymetrical. It took hours to fix at that point.

Anyone that has received the Protodeck card via FOTW prizes or one of my deck sales can actually look and see that the back is horribly one-way.

The newest Protodeck is 100% just the way I wanted it though. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

In an effort to avoid any thought of copying the ol' Vortex,  ;)  and to try some other ideas I had, here's another deck design. Used some of the aspects from the last one but extended some things a bit further. This is quite fun...

Deck Name: Tendril

Theme: A different kind of black deck

Extent of customization: Everything.

Innovative features your cards will include:

Tendril combines the sinister nature of a black deck, the practical handling of a white deck and uses gray borders instead of white to give a whole new aesthetic. No longer does a dark deck have to be somber and boring, as Tendril introduces dynamic coloring. The gray border will better hide the "edge chipping" that can happen to a solid black deck but won't have the overly bright contrast of a traditionally white-bordered design.

Unusual even in custom cards, both the front and back will feature a bordered black design, giving depth and visual interest to the deck regardless of viewing side. The extra visual edge will add even more detail to fan flourishes.

The card fronts will also feature a "near-black" field with a very subtle hint of the back tendril design, giving design and detail to a typically blank area while not distracting from the readability of the card.

Tendril will feature 'asymmetrical symmetry" in the back, with what appears at first glance to be a seemingly random array of elements that are still perfectly two-way for maximum usability.

Tendril will be printed in a limited run by USPCC on premium stock with the Magic finish.

Near black, black, grays, aqua and teal with accents of golden yellow.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I'm no designer, but for true symmetry you have three options, right?  Vertical symmetry (left side and right side mirror each other), horizontal symmetry (top and bottom halves mirror each other) and diagonal symmetry (cut a diagonal line through the pattern and the left side is a flipped image of the right one or vice versa, same result either way).  These can be combined - Bicycle Riders (and many others) employ all three.  If you have vertical and horizontal symmetry, I think you sort of get diagonal symmetry automatically.  But some deck back design can be diagonal without being vertical or horizontal - Rich Ferguson's deck has diagonal symmetry along both possible axes as well as being symmetrical but flipped vertically or horizontally.

Think about this long enough and it could make you crazy like a math major...
 ;D

None of those three is the requirement for a back design. The only core symmetry is rotational. So that each card, after a 180 degree rotation will still look identical. This, however, when exploited, will produce major asthetical issues. In that, a designer may choose to employ vertical & or horizontal symmetry one to save work, and two to enhance balance. One, well my personal bias, problem with the actuators back design is balance. With the placement of the gears it feels the design is tipping over like \.

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I actually like the Actuators for their interesting symmetry. The standard symmetry is something that I find extremely boring. It is all about personal taste, of course, but for me I like to see boundaries being pushed. I'm also a huge fan of illusions, no matter what their scale is. Anything that at first glance looks asymmetrical is something I find deeply interesting.

Xmetal, I love that design! I think the shade of yellow on the faces is a tad off, something closer to a green hue would be more fitting. I love the idea of the faces having the tendrils as well, but in a way that allows reversals to some extent. The colors used on the back are excellent too. The shading on the tendrils themselves, that blue drop shadow specifically, looks off. I love the background behind them, and those kinds of colors is what makes me wish metallic foil on cards was possible with the USPCC.

The only issue I would see is that the shading is too subtle in some areas, like the tendrils on the faces, and in print you wouldn't be able to see them at all. I encountered this issue when I originally had carbon-fiber patterning on the Vortex tuck boxes which ended up using a black gradient instead.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks for the quality feedback Alex. I agree on the face colors, those were a quick addition and need more careful selection. I also know exactly what you mean about the subtlety of the tendril details on the face. I really like that idea, and have personally never seen it done but I know that printing details like that is quite tricky. If, perhaps, maybe, I work on these enough to consider real production I might need to exaggerate that a bit, but there's really no way to know without getting proofs done.

Can you clarify what you think is "off" with the blue drop shadow? Too bright, too sharp? They weren't exactly meant to be a shadow, per se, but another dimensional layer. I might have to mess with that.

Thanks for the comments, time to tweak. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »

Kingkong2798

• Newcomer
Hey guys, what are the dimensions for a standard card and the Borders? Also what is the best software to use to create a deck

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
There is a link to download templates at the bottom of this page. To do it right, you really need Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

http://bicyclecards.com/products/custom
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:20:20 AM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey guys, what are the dimensions for a standard card and the Borders? Also what is the best software to use to create a deck
Adobe Photoshop  ;D

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
None of those three is the requirement for a back design. The only core symmetry is rotational. So that each card, after a 180 degree rotation will still look identical. This, however, when exploited, will produce major asthetical issues. In that, a designer may choose to employ vertical & or horizontal symmetry one to save work, and two to enhance balance. One, well my personal bias, problem with the actuators back design is balance. With the placement of the gears it feels the design is tipping over like \.

I actually like the Actuators for their interesting symmetry. The standard symmetry is something that I find extremely boring. It is all about personal taste, of course, but for me I like to see boundaries being pushed. I'm also a huge fan of illusions, no matter what their scale is. Anything that at first glance looks asymmetrical is something I find deeply interesting.

Xmetal, I love that design! I think the shade of yellow on the faces is a tad off, something closer to a green hue would be more fitting. I love the idea of the faces having the tendrils as well, but in a way that allows reversals to some extent. The colors used on the back are excellent too. The shading on the tendrils themselves, that blue drop shadow specifically, looks off. I love the background behind them, and those kinds of colors is what makes me wish metallic foil on cards was possible with the USPCC.

The only issue I would see is that the shading is too subtle in some areas, like the tendrils on the faces, and in print you wouldn't be able to see them at all. I encountered this issue when I originally had carbon-fiber patterning on the Vortex tuck boxes which ended up using a black gradient instead.

I'm with Alex on this one - something that's "off-balanced" yet still symmetrical really catches the eye more since people are so used to (and perhaps bored of?) seeing the same "balanced" card designs.

I really like Xmetal's Tendril deck, but I'd suggest a different color than yellow for that face.  I have the Scorpion deck and it's hard on the eyes after a while (at least my eyes).  Maybe a pale blue, or an electric blue?  Just something a little less harsh while also providing adequate contrast for easy visibility.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Agreed on the symmetry issue. There are SO many decks with perfectly mirrored backs, that it gets a little old. Doing something different was definitely a main idea I had.

I played with the front a bit more and exaggerated the tendril design a little so it's easier to see, and also changed up the index coloring. I think that I might go with a more traditional clean pip design though, while the current club here uses the same "wobbly" line of the shapes on the back, I think that it's a bit of a mismatch with the clean pips. Something to experiment with.

I appreciate the feedback, and thanks to Alex for the inspiration to take stab at designing a deck.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The yellow clubs remind me of the "Infinity Deck" logo.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

here's a very early mockup design i created years ago. thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe give ideas.

Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The scythe deck looks plain now, but with a little work, it could look great!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
here's a very early mockup design i created years ago. thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe give ideas.

This is a very good design, I like it.  Aside from Arcane White, there's not been much by way of a "gothy/black" themed deck done in white instead of black.  Crimson and Crimson Resurrection might qualify, but they're utterly lacking in imagination.  The new "Deck of the Dead" thing on KS would qualify, but its imagery, while extremely cool, is a little cartoony as opposed to "serious".  Imagine the kind of deck you could whip out in front of the hardcore goth kids and make them say "ooooooooo, cool cards".
 :D

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

Overflight

• Twitter:

[font='dejavu sans mono', monaco, 'lucida console', 'courier new', monospace]This is kind of an off-the-cuff idea I had. Feel free to disregard if you feel it's too vague.[/font]
8-bit

Theme: 8-bit graphics

Extent of customization: total

lPick two distinct, innovative features your cards will include, sell us on the ideas.
Pixellized court cards, Symmetry Pip

Color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?
Standard card color scheme.

The storyline of the deck:An homage to the 8-bit era without being tied down to any particular franchise.

A while ago I happened to be browsing this forum while listening to this. This made me curious as to whether there were any 8-bit themed decks out there. Turns out there are but I think there's some room for improvement:

http://blogdebrinquedo.com.br/2011/01/27/baralho-space-invaders-8-bit-do-art-lebedev-studio/
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NIN10002&mode=retail
http://www.tikisaurus.com/blog/japan/zelda-25th-anniversary-playing-cards-revealed-japan.html

The main thing is that the court cards are explicitly taken by the creator's chosen franchise. There's room for imagination there. Same thing with the backs. Also, this deck could allow some interesting "glitch" gaff cards.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:16:06 PM by Overflight »

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@xmetal - Loving that shade of green.
@Sean - I think the big issue is the empty corners and boring borders. The part I like most is the center artwork.
@Overflight - I remember seeing an 8-bit deck made by a company from Russia, and it looked awesome but I believe it was not a USPCC deck. I love the idea of "glitched" gaff cards, very cool especially for the modern generation of spectators who more or less all play video games.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
For my graphic-design class, I actually drew an 8-Bit Ace of Spade.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »

Overflight

• Twitter:
@alex: was it the one in the first link I posted? It was made by some Russian graphics design company for Space Invaders.

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I actually have a really cheaply-made deck that's Atari-branded, with "screen shots" on each card that look like they're from the Atari 2600.  Or was it like the arcade versions?  I remember Centipede and Space Invaders being among the "suits".  I'll have to see if I still have it, though I think I gave it away - it was that bad.  It made "Greetings from XXXXXX" scenic decks look good.

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Element deck, the 4 elements fire wind water earth, colors would be red, ? blue and green. i have a design and am working on it, let me know if you want more info.

P.S. cutoms aces (all 4) backs and possibly the new pip thing alex made.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Element deck, the 4 elements fire wind water earth, colors would be red, ? blue and green. i have a design and am working on it, let me know if you want more info.

P.S. cutoms aces (all 4) backs and possibly the new pip thing alex made.

Didn't I see that in the Red Crown contest? Were those yours?

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 12:24:43 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
WAIT A MINUTE WHAT? Link please, I really hope red crown is not using my idea, unless I'm missing what your saying
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
WAIT A MINUTE WHAT? Link please, I really hope red crown is not using my idea, unless I'm missing what your saying

Oh~ I just checked - they drew 4 that were frost, inferno, acid and plasma. You can see it on Kete Moon's page. http://love.youthwant.com.tw/4/book_readz.php?stud_id=100123572&b_id=2195&p=2443&ftype=

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 02:40:26 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Might as well join in on the fun.

As design practice, what cards would look like had they been done by large companies.

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2011, 02:55:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Might as well join in on the fun.

As design practice, what cards would look like had they been done by large companies.

That Beemer deck looks kinda cool!  I always prefer symmetrical over non-symmetrical back designs.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok yea when you mentioned crown i was mad, but i think im good, i barely missed that bullet.

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I really like the design of the Beemer. I think if you kept working on that it would be a nice design.

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I really like the design of the Beemer. I think if you kept working on that it would be a nice design.

Lol thanks... Yeah... Copyright issues~ they're for practice only.

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Lol thanks... Yeah... Copyright issues~ they're for practice only.

Well, nothing's stopping you from replacing that iconic blue-and-white with something like a speedometer...or a spare tire, or a steering wheel.  You could really make a cool car-themed deck with that back.  It would be fun seeing court cards dressed in racing gear, either old-time or modern (or perhaps in-between, maybe from the '60s, like something from an old Steve McQueen film).  The joker could wave a checkered flag - and the reveal joker's flag can have the forced card hidden in the checker pattern!  You could make it in assorted colors reminiscent of classic car colors.  Maybe make a version with silver-inked chrome.

You could really run with this.  Or drive!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:55:11 AM by Good@Sabacc »