Unusual date coding on Bicycle Aircraft Spotter Cards

Author (Read 1421 times)

Unusual date coding on Bicycle Aircraft Spotter Cards
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
The date code on this deck appears on the Joker and not the Ace of Spades. I assume other Spotter decks are the same, but I have not seen this before. Has anyone else ever noticed this? Are there other USPCC decks that utilize the joker for this purpose in lieu of the Ace of Spades.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:17:21 AM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

Re: Unusual date coding on Bicycle Aircraft Spotter Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
We have been told that the date code is only in effect on Ace of Spades and only when it is a letter followed by four digits. However, Josh could be correct. The date code would indicate 1942 but the box looks a bit later perhaps. Is there a tax stamp on the other side of the box? Did USPC continue to produce Spotter decks after WWII? This issue [one of three Spotter decks USPC made] is W32 in Hochman and was first released in 1942. So I will assume Josh is correct and the code was put on the Joker because of the other notations on the Spade Ace relative to identification of the plane. Interesting observation!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
We have been told that the date code is only in effect on Ace of Spades and only when it is a letter followed by four digits. However, Josh could be correct. The date code would indicate 1942 but the box looks a bit later perhaps. Is there a tax stamp on the other side of the box? Did USPC continue to produce Spotter decks after WWII? This issue [one of three Spotter decks USPC made] is W32 in Hochman and was first released in 1942. So I will assume Josh is correct and the code was put on the Joker because of the other notations on the Spade Ace relative to identification of the plane. Interesting observation!

As I recall, they continued making this type of spotter deck into the 1940s, stopping just before the Korean War.

Actually, "making" might be inaccurate.  They were probably made in bulk during the war and it took that long for them to run out of them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:43:27 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
This is what is left of the tax stamp. It is distinguishable as a "1 pack" stamp.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 02:30:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is what is left of the tax stamp. It is distinguishable as a "1 pack" stamp.

Now that is interesting.  There was a brief period of time where decks like this would have a seal stating that they're exempt from tax and to be sold only to military personnel.  It looks like this one was sold through civilian channels, perhaps.  Now I'm thinking it's even more likely that USPC did a MASSIVE run of these decks during World War II, leaving them enough leftover that it took a number of years to sell them all out.  There wasn't much paper recycling taking place at the time and I'm sure it was easier and more cost-effective to sell them out rather than destroy them.

Either way, it's exactly the correct stamp for the period - the one-pack stamp was used from 1940 to 1965, when the tax was repealed.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/