You are Here:
Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST - Vintage Edition!

Author (Read 2561 times)

Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST - Vintage Edition!
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
...I've asked the gang who frequent the Playing Card Plethora, all experienced collectors of modern custom decks, and asked them to come out and show off what the consider to be the best of the best in modern deck design.  Won't you please stop by and have a look?

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/show-me-your-best-of-the-best!/

You may find it very interesting - and you may ever recognize a deck or two from the reports Lee provided in recent issues of Clear the Decks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:35:33 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: It's a Little Off-Subject for This Board, But...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Don
Agree. I check it everyday. Fascinating post last night about a deck of which only five known and five special autographs on the deck.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:56:37 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:05 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
How about a switcharoo to bring it back on subject!?

My question is directed specifically at people whose collections are now either exclusively or nearly-so made up of modern  vintage decks.

Let's pretend that you were planning to meet up for lunch with a person who's a vintage deck collector know it all whipper snapper .  This man or woman has heard a little about the  modern custom vintage decks like the ones you collect, but hasn't seen many examples of them and certainly hasn't seen the "creme de la creme".

You've been tasked with bringing a small sampling of decks with you - the mission being to show this collector the best that modern vintage deck design has to offer. Also  Remember, many vintage collectors know it all whipper snappers  buy based on handling so any details on handling might help.

What are some of the decks you would bring to this meeting?  Please - include IMAGES!  Your images can be scans of your deck, photographs of your deck or, as a last resort, good-quality pictures of it found on the web.  Remember, you really want to impress this person, perhaps even "turn him or her to the "Darker Side" and get him interested in collecting modern vintage decks!]My question is directed specifically at people whose collections are now either exclusively or nearly-so made up of modern  vintage decks.

Let's pretend that you were planning to meet up for lunch with a person who's a vintage deck collector know it all whipper snapper .  This man or woman has heard a little about the  modern custom vintage decks like the ones you collect, but hasn't seen many examples of them and certainly hasn't seen the "creme de la creme".

You've been tasked with bringing a small sampling of decks with you - the mission being to show this collector the best that modern vintage deck design has to offer. Also  Remember, many vintage collectors know it all whipper snappers  buy based on handling so any details on handling might help.

What are some of the decks you would bring to this meeting?  Please - include IMAGES!  Your images can be scans of your deck, photographs of your deck or, as a last resort, good-quality pictures of it found on the web.  Remember, you really want to impress this person, perhaps even "turn him or her to the Dark"er" Side" and get him or her interested in collecting modern vintage decks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:52:01 AM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:55:46 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I don't know If I can make anyone here drool Don, but we'll try, lol

...just a few to get things going
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:13:30 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Wait a minute...?  Go post these in the Plethora topic - we can save this topic for the posting of vintage BEST OF THE BEST decks to make the modern collectors drool!  Please?

I like DarkDerp's idea!  All you vintage collectors, come out and show us your most spectacular examples of playing card artistry and design.  Please add PHOTOS!  I'm sure you have many knock-your-socks-off decks to show your fellow collectors!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »

athomas16

Wait a minute...?  Go post these in the Plethora topic - we can save this topic for the posting of vintage BEST OF THE BEST decks to make the modern collectors drool!  Please?

I like DarkDerp's idea!  All you vintage collectors, come out and show us your most spectacular examples of playing card artistry and design.  Please add PHOTOS!  I'm sure you have many knock-your-socks-off decks to show your fellow collectors!

I shouldn't be in this thread, but I will do my best! 

My submission is an 1876 A. Dougherty Triplicate in mint condition.  This is a timely selection as you can currently purchase high quality replicas of the deck via kickstarter.  In fact, rather than do a write-up on the history of this deck, which most of you probably already know, I'll just copy/paste from the kickstarter page and then add pictures of my deck:

The Triplicate No.18 deck was the first of its kind. Andrew Dougherty was granted a U.S. Patent for the Triplicate feature which was a miniature card placed in the top left and bottom right corners. It was a revolution in the way cards could be held and viewed. The decorative ace of spades and the wrapper for the first No.18 Triplicate deck showed a fanned hand of cards with the triplicate miniature indices viewable on each card.

I don't think this particular deck is exceptionally rare, I see it pop up for sale all along, but I don't think I've ever seen one as nice as mine.  It has literally never been shuffled.  It's also kind of funny how I came to own it.  My uncle had it and knew I wanted it but for a long time we couldn't agree on a price.  We finally decided to flip a coin.  Tails I bought the deck for $100 and heads I bought it for $1000.  Tails never fails.

I was lucky as Tom told me years ago that $100 was a pretty good deal and $1000 would have been a very bad deal.

If you want your very own copy, I believe there is one in the current 52+J auction.  Or head over to kickstarter and get a replica:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500444958/1876-adougherty-triplicate-playing-cards-restorati

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »

Home Run

• Newcomer
  • It's dangerous to play alone

• Kickstarter:
athomas16,

That is really cool thanks for the post!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I shouldn't be in this thread, but I will do my best! 

Are you kidding?  Of COURSE you should be here!  That's exactly what fits the bill!  Guys, if you haven't already, click on the pictures for a nice close-up!

I'm going to update the title of this thread.

Re: Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST - Vintage Edition!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Here is a deck that is from about 1865-70 that while not common can be found from time to time. It to me is a 'best' because of the great back - a bit of self-promotion by Andrew Dougherty. Fortunate to have found this maybe 30 years ago at an outdoor show - in mint condition. :)
Tom Dawson

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here is a deck that is from about 1865-70 that while not common can be found from time to time. It to me is a 'best' because of the great back - a bit of self-promotion by Andrew Dougherty. Fortunate to have found this maybe 30 years ago at an outdoor show - in mint condition. :)

That is freakin' gorgeous!  Show us more, please!

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
One of my favorite backs as well
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:24:28 AM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Tom,

That deck looks great! I think I like hear how these cards were found as much as seeing pictures them. Adds to the history for me.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice! I can't wait for winter to be over, when it comes to vintage stuff (in the past its been for Zippos) I much more prefer the process of heading out to Antique Shops, Estate Sales and so on............very leary of this sort of thing on ebay. I'm sure as I understand more of it I won't be as hesitant.

Keep 'em coming!

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Very nice! I can't wait for winter to be over, when it comes to vintage stuff (in the past its been for Zippos) I much more prefer the process of heading out to Antique Shops, Estate Sales and so on............very leary of this sort of thing on ebay. I'm sure as I understand more of it I won't be as hesitant.

Keep 'em coming!
Thanks Sparkz - please feel free to get in touch for advice [if you have time!] before making a bid or purchase.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I really like the "little joker" its creepy slash cute.

And I LOVE that Andrew Dougherty King.  The face almost looks like it was painted.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

And I LOVE that Andrew Dougherty King.  The face almost looks like it was painted.
Looks like my girlfriend's [now wife's] father when I brought her home in his car after I had the accident - only a smashed fender and bumper! ;)
Tom Dawson

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Looks like my girlfriend's [now wife's] father when I brought her home in his car after I had the accident - only a smashed fender and bumper! ;)

He jumped out of a box in a dress? ;)

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Had an ax in his hand behind his head!

He jumped out of a box in a dress? ;)
Tom Dawson