You are Here:
Newley Designed Cards

Author (Read 1003 times)

Newley Designed Cards
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I know that it is difficult to design a deck with new court cards. Historically, changes to the standard court card designs have been rejected by the public. That is why the standard designs have remained essentially unchanged for over 600 years. To be a commercial success, a newly designed deck must appeal to the general public, not just to collectors. But even with collectors there is a divide in general interests. The older collectors, of which there are many, generally prefer vintage, antique decks while the younger collectors, of which there are few, generally will accept newly designed decks.

Many years ago, I touted the virtues of a deck in which the Italian artist, Giorgio Tavaglione, designed new court cards. The deck was produced in 1985 and I obtained some copies which I offered for sale to members of the 52 Plus Joker club. Then as now, the membership of the club was mostly comprised of older collectors and the deck did not draw much interest. I sold just five decks. I was surprised by the lack of interest in the deck because although the court cards were newly designed, the artist had retained and even enhanced all of the elements from the standard designs. Now, after nearly 30 years since its production, the deck is beginning to assume vintage aspects. I am attaching scans of the court cards and would like to know what you think of them.

Re: Newley Designed Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Those are some beautiful court cards.

I think one of the reasons that the courts, might not have got on, is 'cause are less graphical. The traditional courts are simplified and stylized in such a way that's it's extremely easy to recognize the card. But I think like you said, sometimes it's just the mentality of people that just want what they're use to, which is unfortunate sometimes. I wouldn't say that everything should change, but when a change is done well, like these courts, it should be appreciated for it.

Honestly, I think it is a really great deck and would be something I'd love to add to my own collection. Would you still happen to have any decks left?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »

HeartQ

• Don't Use This!
  • Forum Regular
I love the traditional designs in this deck, my only criticism might be the yellow background around the courts as it does take away a little from the delicate  details.

Do you have anymore??
Judy Dawson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I think Judy may have nailed it.

There's definitely something about the yellow that pulls away from the detail. The yellow may be too dominant? I like the card detail.

Echoing Judy again, do you have anymore?  :)
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Hello bHong, HeartQ and JWats01. It's nice to see some interest in this deck. The scans distort the actual background of the pictures which is what I call a "burnt orange". Definitely not yellow. In the March, 2013 issue of Clear the Decks, I did an in-depth comparison of the court cards in this deck with those of the standard design. That article is still available for viewing on the 52Plus Joker website.

I  had purchased quite a few of these deck directly from the Swiss maker, Muller. When I offered them for sale on eBay for $5.00, I was contacted by a dealer in the Ruby Lane group that goes by the very odd name of "Two For His Heels" He purchased nearly every deck that I had but I kept a few. Some I donated to a drive for the troops fighting in Iraq. I still have four decks left. If you search Ruby Lane and then search that site for Tavaglione, you will find the deck for $20.00 or two for $35.00. I never charged more than $5.00 per deck plus postage and that is where I stand today. Muller, by the way, was taken over by another company and I do not believe that the deck has been in production for a long time. eMail me at cardstar@ptd.net if you wish to buy the deck. To be fair, I will allocate one deck for each of you.
Rod Starling (Watson7)     

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Judy (heartq) will stand back and leave the buying to the others.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks Rod! Email sent!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Thanks mostly kindly. Sorry the late email as I've been away from a computer for most of the day.

It's a bit sad that it's no longer in production. I wish it still was.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:31:13 PM by bhong »

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Those are beautiful Queens and I love the design.