You are Here:
Atlantis on the Ocean Miami Beach Vintage Bridge Deck 1929-1940

Author (Read 2920 times)

Atlantis on the Ocean Miami Beach Vintage Bridge Deck 1929-1940
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey guys. Picked this up a few weeks ago for $5.  This deck is interesting in many ways.

First as you can see by the pictures, a card was glued on top of he box as shown by the stamp being covered. Now I assume the hotel did this as a way to show the card backs but I am not sure

I have never heard of redi slip finish but it made me smile hehe. Also the cards inside are not sealed but are is pristine mint condition. You could swear they were cards fresh out of a pack from this year.  Overall pretty happy with this deck for such a cheap price.  The stamp dates this deck between 1929-1940

Re: Atlantis on the Ocean Miami Beach Vintage Bridge Deck 1929-1940
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Very nice find, especially for the price!

I have never heard of redi slip finish

Thats a fun clue though... Remembrance brand cards also have a Redi-Slip finish.

Btw, Remembrance was owned by Brown & Bigelow (St. Paul, MN.) so I'm guessing your deck is also of B&B origin.

Could be wrong though...

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
First as you can see by the pictures, a card was glued on top of he box as shown by the stamp being covered. Now I assume the hotel did this as a way to show the card backs but I am not sure

I have never heard of redi slip finish but it made me smile hehe.

Is the card glued to the box the actual back design of the cards inside the deck? Or just an ad card? Honestly, either way it looks really beautiful

Is the finish smooth? And honestly, the "redi slip" finish is probably the best finish name ever. I wonder if it's copyrighted or not. Would be great to see a modern deck just claim that regardless of it being air-cushion or smooth.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Yes it is the actual back design.  I will post pics of the cards later

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys. Picked this up a few weeks ago for $5.  This deck is interesting in many ways.

I have never heard of redi slip finish but it made me smile hehe. Also the cards inside are not sealed but are is pristine mint condition. You could swear they were cards fresh out of a pack from this year.  Overall pretty happy with this deck for such a cheap price.  The stamp dates this deck between 1929-1940

It's a really sharp-looking deck.  I could be mistaken, but I think that stamp's actually from 1940-1965 - they used a shorter, square "1 Pack" stamp before that.  The art on the box suggests it's from the '40s.  It has a real '40s look to it.  In fact, the model on the lower right of the beach image is is wearing an early two-piece swimsuit that predates the bikini which was in common use in the early 1940s.

Side note: Bikinis weren't introduced to the public until July 5, 1946 in Cannes, France.  It was named after the Bikini Atoll, where nuclear weapon testing had begun only four days earlier.

Very nice find, especially for the price!

I have never heard of redi slip finish

Thats a fun clue though... Remembrance brand cards also have a Redi-Slip finish.

Btw, Remembrance was owned by Brown & Bigelow (St. Paul, MN.) so I'm guessing your deck is also of B&B origin.

Could be wrong though...

It probably is - and they're the folks behind the Hoyle deck brand, right?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:20:17 AM »

Herb

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
That's a cool deck. I grew up in Miami and have had a little bit of a fixation on the art deco hotels in Miami Beach. If you follow the links below you'll see the Atlantis at its height and at its unfortunate end. The Atlantis was actually a little outside of what is now thought of as the Art Deco district and its style seems to reflect a transition between the smaller classic Art Deco hotels and the larger "modern" style hotels that flourished in the 1950s. The Atlantis may not have been the world's most distinctive piece of architecture, but its loss was typical of what was happening around that time when there wasn't any hesitation in demolishing older buildings and replacing them with bigger-and therefore more profitable-hotels and condos. Thankfully it was just a few years later that the preservation efforts took hold, but in the meantime some very significant buildings were lost.

I realize I'm going off on a tangent from playing cards, but the heritage of these old hotels sort of appeals to me in the same way as the old decks do, so it's nice to be able to connect two interests. Thanks for showing the deck.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xatlantis+hotel+miami+beach&_nkw=atlantis+hotel+miami+beach&_sacat=0&_from=R40
http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/55253
http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/55254
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:25:56 AM by Herb »

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

I have never heard of redi slip finish but it made me smile hehe.

Is the card glued to the box the actual back design of the cards inside the deck? Or just an ad card? Honestly, either way it looks really beautiful

Is the finish smooth? And honestly, the "redi slip" finish is probably the best finish name ever. I wonder if it's copyrighted or not. Would be great to see a modern deck just claim that regardless of it being air-cushion or smooth.
Very common in Vintage decks [and older] to have a card pasted to the box to show the buyer the back design inside. So assuredly the cards inside were the same when packaged. Redi-Slip was a normal finish for B&B cards. Check out the Redi-Slip Joker below!!!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Don I looked at both Tax stamps on the guide as below and there is a chance it could be either one

Was trying to look for minor differences in the number of leaves on the left.  Tough call  but most likely you are right It is probably from the 40s

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don I looked at both Tax stamps on the guide as below and there is a chance it could be either one

Was trying to look for minor differences in the number of leaves on the left.  Tough call  but most likely you are right It is probably from the 40s

I'm assuming you only have a partial stamp on the pack.  Just based on the bathing suit fashions and the hotel design, it's more likely to be from after 1940 rather than before.  Prior to that the bathing suit styles were more conservative and the hotels were more evocative of real Art Deco style.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:59:16 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/