Grizzly Bear Card Clips now live on Kickstarter

Author (Read 1658 times)

Grizzly Bear Card Clips now live on Kickstarter
« on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
On my smartphone. Will add pic later or someone else can link it
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1868828187/grizzly-bear-card-clips-protection-for-your-playin

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:54:56 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Grizzly Bear Card Clips now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Same guy who made the Grain Back deck.  UK based, pounds sterling, international shipping to US.

Not cheap, though.  US$36.24 to get a deck clip shipped out of the UK.  I could buy a Porper for that.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
As Don said, they're kind of pricey. Not to mention, they're not as compact and sleek as the Porper clip. I'm not sure how they function in comparison, either. They come out to the equivalent of $25 bucks if you're in the UK, so I guess it might be worth it for some.

The rewards, though.... Is he really only selling 18 individual clips?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:55:53 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:24 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
As Don said, they're kind of pricey. Not to mention, they're not as compact and sleek as the Porper clip. I'm not sure how they function in comparison, either. They come out to the equivalent of $25 bucks if you're in the UK, so I guess it might be worth it for some.

18 individual, if my math is right. 46 total. at £15 each = £690. With a £600 goal. He's not giving himself much wiggle room. He did the same thing on the card project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey Gang!  These are made by Ade, the same guy that made the recent Loop Card Clips.  Interesting to see Ashley doing these now but I suppose it was to be expected.  I discontinued these for Loop Cuts due to the insane amount of error that can take place.  I found that at the end of the day, regardless of how interesting acrylic can seem for a clip, it's not ideal. You cannot insert your cards the same way you do with a porper, and the clips are not easy to monitor when it comes to quality control.  Not a good product to build a long term reputation with.  Thus, Loop Cuts is working on something new ;)

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:30 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
I was thinking these looked similar to the acryllic card clips that were on KS a while back.
For some reason this project didn't show up on my kickstarter :S. I've noticed these last few days that projects haven't been showing up on my kickstarter page and I'm wondering if it has something to do with me being in Australia -.- (just like ebay).
I think Ashley Acton did put out an update for the grain deck backers foreshadowing this project

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »

splice42

• True Member
I found that at the end of the day, regardless of how interesting acrylic can seem for a clip, it's not ideal.

That's what I was thinking and was worried about. They look nice, but I don't just buy card clips to look nice.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey Gang!  These are made by Ade, the same guy that made the recent Loop Card Clips.  Interesting to see Ashley doing these now but I suppose it was to be expected.  I discontinued these for Loop Cuts due to the insane amount of error that can take place.  I found that at the end of the day, regardless of how interesting acrylic can seem for a clip, it's not ideal. You cannot insert your cards the same way you do with a porper, and the clips are not easy to monitor when it comes to quality control.  Not a good product to build a long term reputation with.  Thus, Loop Cuts is working on something new ;)

Cheers

I knew these were from Ade before I saw his face on the KS page. He's a talented guy, but I could definitely see why you'd have issues.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Hi, I'm the manufacturer of those clip and the previous Loop Cuts and Armatura Clip.

You're right MrMollusk, it's not as sleek as the Porper, but it's still functional.

Cheers

-insane amount of error
-and the clips are not easy to monitor when it comes to quality control

can you explain about that Robert?
All clip has been tested 1 by 1 before I shipped it, to make sure it fits with the deck and functional.

You never told me about that insane error, you said the clip is good and functional.
Now you make a statement and telling ppl about that insane error.

I knew these were from Ade before I saw his face on the KS page. He's a talented guy, but I could definitely see why you'd have issues.

Thanks for the compliment Paul, I appreciate it. I also don't understand why Robert have issues, because he never told me about that.
"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Cheers

Robert, could you clarify this please? Especially as you were interested in us stocking them.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Robert, could you clarify this please? Especially as you were interested in us stocking them.

Sure.  Overall I love them.  I think that they are cheaper and I love my rarebit clip.  However... from a business stand point I don't think the venture was worth it.  There is a grey area for error where there was a lack of consistency.  I had a few people contact me telling me that the clips were warped or uneven.  The uneven reports were rather consistent and I even ran into a few my self.   When I spoke to Ade about the production process, he mentioned that they threw a whole lot of them away during production because some would be outrageously uneven. Now while I love the clips and Ade's work, I would not pursue them in the future for these reasons.  Maybe it's not a critical reflection on Ade or the clips but a desire to work on a higher quality product on my end. 

Thanks