You are Here:
Tally Ho 1924-1929 Dougherty Pinochle Deck

Author (Read 1810 times)

Tally Ho 1924-1929 Dougherty Pinochle Deck
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Well picked up another cool vintage deck for pretty cheap. Based on the partial stamp I would say it dates from the mid 20s

Re: Tally Ho 1924-1929 Dougherty Pinochle Deck
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
20's indeed… Extremely rare to find a deck with such a stamp… I love the Tally Ho Decks… Even though they're circle backs, the box has a unique and interesting picture...

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The AoS code appears to have an "H" in it, dating it to 1926.  I doubt it was from 1904 because of the size of the indices, and the faces don't look contemporary to 1946, the next year that letter code was used.

It's an unusually long code, with all those extra numbers, but perhaps that was something unique to pinochle decks of the time.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The AoS code appears to have an "H" in it, dating it to 1926.  I doubt it was from 1904 because of the size of the indices, and the faces don't look contemporary to 1946, the next year that letter code was used.

It's an unusually long code, with all those extra numbers, but perhaps that was something unique to pinochle decks of the time.

Don, the tax stamp is a square ten cent stamp, which was in use from 1924 through 1929… Refer to the following site regarding tax stamp dates: http://www.endebrock.de/stamps/st-usa.html

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:45:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Don, the tax stamp is a square ten cent stamp, which was in use from 1924 through 1929… Refer to the following site regarding tax stamp dates: http://www.endebrock.de/stamps/st-usa.html

Ah, I missed that!  I know about the tax stamps.  Thanks for pointing it out!

So, it looks like it is indeed a deck made in 1926.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:45:58 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
One can generally rely on the tax stamp - although we have seen a Dougherty deck from 1870 with a 1908 tax stamp and many other instances. Sometimes decks lying around the company premises are taken out for some reason and when that happens the law calls for a tax stamp.

The dating code is quite reliable but not all runs used it. We have seen many instances where the letter code did not jibe with the facts - so don't stake your life on it!

I have modified this post to add the following which is important

The letter code only works when there is a letter plus a four digit number.

Therefore in this case the letter is meaningless. Nonetheless, this Tally Ho is definitely mid-1920's, based on box, card appearance and tax stamp.  Great box!

One last comment. To collectors of vintage playing card decks, Pinochle decks have much less value. Probably because they normally don't have jokers and thus don't meet the "52+J" test.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:35:39 AM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular

One last comment. To collectors of vintage playing card decks, Pinochle decks have much less value. Probably because they normally don't have jokers and thus don't meet the "52+J" test.

To most collectors yes I would agree.  Thats mainly because it is a dying game and the cards are worthless for standard games.  Unless like me you grew up playing Pinochle regularly with family and friends.  I don't think its because it doesn't pass the "test."

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Great to see all the comments... In the end I do not much care if this deck has less value because it is a pinochle deck.  $20 for a 90 year old deck is good value  to me.

Tom I love this vintage section of the forums.  makes me want to buy more vintage decks

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Great to see all the comments... In the end I do not much care if this deck has less value because it is a pinochle deck.  $20 for a 90 year old deck is good value  to me.

Tom I love this vintage section of the forums.  makes me want to buy more vintage decks
I agree. Value is not a major factor in liking, wanting, buying a deck. No one wants to overpay and hopes their decks maintain value. But in the end - do you want it? Does it fit into your collection? Are much more important factors. When I posted about Pinochle deck values it was only to make the point that one get usually get them cheaper than the non-Pinochle equivalents because deck collectors love their jokers.
One of the founders of 52 Plus Joker build a fabulous collection and never wavered on his principle of
Tom Dawson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Sorry last post incomplete. Tablet acting up!
What I was saying is he never wavered on his principle of only buying complete decks of 52 cards plus the joker. This worked for us as he would pass on 52card complete decks and let us have them!
Tom Dawson