You are Here:
B.P. Grimaud Vintage 1890 Deck Recent Purchase

Author (Read 4778 times)

B.P. Grimaud Vintage 1890 Deck Recent Purchase
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:43 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So as you all know I like to dabble in some vintage decks from time to time. Pick up a deck from the 1890s made by B.P. Grimaud. I think to this day they are still manufacturing playing cards.  The deck I purchased is named Jeu Louis XV. It has No.150 in front of the box.

Here are some notes I found on this deck:
On June 12, 1891 in Paris France, Baptiste Paul Grimaud (1817-1899) purchased Paris deck maker, Lequart & Mignot and created the company, Société Grimaud & Cie. Baptiste then, is the founder of the card company, The Grimaud House.  Unfortunately for him, he died in 1899 and the company had to go on under his partner and nephews.  This part of the Grimaud history is important because his deck, the Jeu Louis XV was published during these brief years of 1894-1899 and may have only been 1894-1897.
The common number found on this deck is No.1502 both in red and blue, as these decks were meant for playing the game Whist, and sold as two decks to a package. Each deck having a slightly different backing, so during the game, you didn't get confused as you switch back and forth between decks, during play rounds.

I did find instances of the deck having only No.150, like the one I have but I am not sure what the differences are

I will keep looking into this deck to find out more but for the price it was a good buy in my opinion.... and here are some pics of the box and cards

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:58:52 PM by badpete69 »

Re: B.P. Grimaud Vintage 1890 Deck Recent Purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Awesome Deck!
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
C'est tres joli!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Really beautiful artwork in this deck. I love how the indices are done especially with the tilt on each corner. It'd be cool to see that re-done with a new deck. For a moment I thought the KoH was holding a pointed dagger at himself until I realized it was just his sword but cut off . . .

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That is one beautiful Parisian-style deck!  Awesome find, and it looks to be in spectacular condition.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
A beautiful deck. Comes in two versions - one with, and one without, a Joker. Will post a pix later of the Joker if I can find it. This deck was popular States-side so not that hatd to find if you look around a bit - antique shops and malls, eBay, etc.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Obviously, a French deck.  Like the thin borders.  Artwork is fabulous.  I find it interesting the suit was more important than the rank of the card. First time seeing that.  Also, the tilted indexes were probably strange to people at that time.  Recently, the Wold Poker Tour tried tilted indexes for Texas Hold'em.  It bombed.  Players didn't like it. And lookey there the Ace is "1" More ammo for me.   

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Obviously, a French deck.  Like the thin borders.  Artwork is fabulous.  I find it interesting the suit was more important than the rank of the card. First time seeing that.  Also, the tilted indexes were probably strange to people at that time.  Recently, the Wold Poker Tour tried tilted indexes for Texas Hold'em.  It bombed.  Players didn't like it. And lookey there the Ace is "1" More ammo for me.

Remember, this deck was made when indices were still relatively new inventions.  There was no real "standard" for what an index was supposed to look like.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I love the box and I really like how there are small numbers on the cards.  Great deck!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:56:31 PM by Jamm Pakd Cards »
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

Remember, this deck was made when indices were still relatively new inventions.  There was no real "standard" for what an index was supposed to look like.

Good point Don - Indices maybe 20 years old at that time. Interesting point by Sprouts about change being rejected.Hundreds of innovations have been introduced - 95% or more rejected by the card-buying public. They want to play games with the traditional cards. Here's an example of early indices that didn't last long.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:39:37 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good point Don - Indices maybe 20 years old at that time. Interesting point by Sprouts about change being rejected.Hundreds of innovations have been introduced - 95% or more rejected by the card-buying public. They want to play games with the traditional cards. Here's an example of early indices that didn't last long.

Oh, NO!  Tom, did you happen to notice the card in his avatar image?  The one with indices very much like this card?  For the "Texas Playing Cards" deck he's designing right now?  Y'know, those indices you said didn't last long?  :))

I've been trying to convince him of that for months!

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
That's why I chose that image. Innovations are tried and discarded. Then they pop up again and often were developed from original thinking and design - but they are not new ideas. I guess within the constraints implied by designing a deck that is recognizable as such, there are just so many new ideas that can be tried. Just read what I wrote and I think I understood what I was trying to say! ;D
Tom Dawson

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I can only find the 4oC, AoS, and Joker, Tom.  If you have any other images, I would really like to see them especially a court card.  It's neat to see what people did in the past.  You learn a lot from other people's mistakes.  It seems what this guy was going for was a right and left handed deck. I can only imagine what his 2's and 3's look like.  Probably not that interesting.  If they are anything like the "1-way" 4oS, I can see why people didn't like them. 

I'm actually making mine more like the Pigmy Deck.  http://www.wopc.co.uk/delarue/pigmy.html   But even this deck is lacking and has mistakes.  I can see why people didn't like them.  I see a problem with the Ace.  The number cards are right and left handed while the courts are just right handed.  The courts use two letters.  I can see people getting confused with the King "KG" and the Knave "KN".  I think I've solved most of problems with the style I'm going for. 

My deck might be a total flop or the next best thing since slice bread.  The horde and mob will choice if this is something they want to try.  But I tell you this if my deck gets used in World Poker Tour and is adopted for Texas Hold'em that is when I know I finally made it.  So lets get the fold out chairs get a beer and get ready for the big train wreck about to begin.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is "Whist and Poker no 175", 1878.  When I search for other images all I get is dead ends.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:45:00 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I can only find the 4oC, AoS, and Joker, Tom.  If you have any other images, I would really like to see them especially a court card.  It's neat to see what people did in the past.  You learn a lot from other people's mistakes.  It seems what this guy was going for was a right and left handed deck. I can only imagine what his 2's and 3's look like.  Probably not that interesting.  If they are anything like the "1-way" 4oS, I can see why people didn't like them. 

I'm actually a making mine more like the Pigmy Deck.  http://www.wopc.co.uk/delarue/pigmy.html   But even this deck is lacking and has mistakes.  I can see why people didn't like them.  I see a problem with the Ace.  The number cards are right and left handed while the courts are just right handed.  The courts use two letters.  I can see people getting confused with the King "KG" and the Knave "KN".  I think I've solved most of problems with the style I'm going for. 

My deck might be a total flop or the next best thing since slice bread.  The horde and mob will choice if this is something they want to try.  But I tell you this if my deck get used in World Poker Tour and gets adopted for Texas Hold'em that is when I know I finally made it.  So lets get the fold out chairs get a beer and get ready for the big train wreck about to begin.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is "Whist and Poker no 175", 1878.  When I search for other images all I get is dead ends.

Sorry I don't have that deck, or know where those three pictures came from when we put them in the Encyclopedia [L15]. I have the aces and courts from L14, which is slightly more common, from the same year and also by Paper Fabrique - commonly known as Border Index Cards - see below for an example.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Yea, I think it's neat how different modifications came about before the indexes became standard.  Those are the American club no 165, 1878.  Notice how they used the roman numerals between the indexes.  I can see how this deck didn't catch on.  To much information and it basically sets an artificial border which is not needed. I remember another one that used weird indexes, but I have to dig a little bit.

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea, I think it's neat how different modifications came about before the indexes became standard.  Those are the American club no 165, 1878.  Notice how they used the roman numerals between the indexes.  I can see how this deck didn't catch on.  To much information and it basically sets an artificial border which is not needed. I remember another one that used weird indexes, but I have to dig a little bit.

I could see these as being unpopular with some card players.  Having so many indices makes it easier for an opponent to catch a peek at the value and suit of a card "accidentally" OR accidentally...

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I think the indices are really awesome on that deck baldpate69. I find the use of the letters V, D, and R as the indices for the courts. Really cool deck.

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 01:13:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think the indices are really awesome on that deck baldpate69. I find the use of the letters V, D, and R as the indices for the courts. Really cool deck.

Decks made in the Parisian style will often show the court abbreviations for their French names:
V = Valet, the Jack
D = Dame, the Queen
R = Roi, the King

Prior to the French Revolution, it was common for the ace to be simply a "1" card.  This still appears on some modern French decks out of tradition.  Anne Stokes often uses that convention in her decks.  It wasn't until after the Revolution that the lowly "1" was elevated to the rank of "Ace", placing it above all the royalty.  These days, as I'm sure you know, it is used in many games as either the lowest, highest or both lowest and highest card of the deck depending on the circumstances.