so this new D&D closeup pad...

Author (Read 5765 times)

so this new D&D closeup pad...
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

moon.exe

• mmm... birds
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
http://shop.dananddave.com/magic-surface.html?mc_cid=4313a75049&mc_eid=16dfaa671b
If I were to make the exact same product for a third of the price, would you guys buy it? ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: so this new D&D closeup pad...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
http://shop.dananddave.com/magic-surface.html?mc_cid=4313a75049&mc_eid=16dfaa671b
If I were to make the exact same product for a third of the price, would you guys buy it? ::)

Without a doubt, I would.  I could actually use a firm performing surface when "bed-hopping" at the hospital, just not at that price.

A design thought - make it so you can simply drop in a traditional 12"x18" pad, then when it wears out or gets ruined, you replace it with an off-the-shelf model.  Even better, if you can get a good magician's kit bag with pockets, one of which would be large enough to hold your pad, that would be stellar.  Could be as simple as a nice messenger bag or a haversack (it's a shoulder bag that's sized between a map case and a large purse, usually oriented to be taller rather than wider).
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Even a third I fell would be to high. Its a tv tray with felt on the inside.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »

moon.exe

• mmm... birds
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
A design thought - make it so you can simply drop in a traditional 12"x18" pad, then when it wears out or gets ruined, you replace it with an off-the-shelf model.  Even better, if you can get a good magician's kit bag with pockets, one of which would be large enough to hold your pad, that would be stellar.  Could be as simple as a nice messenger bag or a haversack (it's a shoulder bag that's sized between a map case and a large purse, usually oriented to be taller rather than wider).
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the bag stuff, sounds interesting and all, but if you could clarify... :P

Its a tv tray with felt on the inside.
With all respect, not even close. But yes, I'm sure I could go lower, I haven't checked the prices on wood and all that yet

EDIT: I almost forgot, what do you guys feel is a good size for a pad like that? I don't perform magic, so I wouldn't really know...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:57:50 PM by moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:29:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the bag stuff, sounds interesting and all, but if you could clarify... :P

With all respect, not even close. But yes, I'm sure I could go lower, I haven't checked the prices on wood and all that yet

EDIT: I almost forgot, what do you guys feel is a good size for a pad like that? I don't perform magic, so I wouldn't really know...

The bag - picture a bag, perhaps the size of a computer bag, large enough to hold your pad (factoring in that it will be a bit larger due to the size the wood adds) that is equipped with a number of pockets, preferably sized to hold popular magician items like packs of cards, coin purses, cups and balls, a wand, whatever.  Since the standard small pad is 12x18", your pad will be roughly 13x19".  That's roughly equivalent to a notebook with a 15-inch screen, measured diagonally.

I've seen military bags that allow for adding to the inside and/or outside additional pockets using "Alice" clips, "Molle", etc. - I have little clue what that means,  But imagine you have a shoulder bag, perhaps oriented vertically so it sticks out less when carried on the shoulder.  There's a slim pocket just large enough to hold that nice pad, then there's a big empty space with hook-and-loop/Velcro connectors attached to its walls.  5.11 Tactical Gear sells a vest that has a large interior pockets in the walls of the vest, lined with Velcro and meant to attach smaller pockets to - things like ammo clips, a gun holster, etc.  Some of those might be the right size for magic accessories.

As far as size, stick to the standard sizes for easy replacement.  The most portable of them would be 12x18".  I wouldn't go too much larger - you'd want it to be portable and easily transported.  Oh, and SEAL the wood with some type of laminate.  If used for things like table hopping, it's not that hard for someone to accidentally spill a drink on it.  The pad will be fine, since most are synthetic felt and neoprene, but you don't want to ruin the wood.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I meant no dis-respect when I said that, and it was a personal opinion, I see it as more of a luxury item. I am find with a basic close up pad. Its something that personally I dont see value in for myself.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:55:24 AM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Dan and Dave does it again.....

I wonder who actually buys their pricey stuff?
Broke for cards

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The children of parents who have more money than common sense...  That's my guess.  :))

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:51 AM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:

The children of parents who have more money than common sense...  That's my guess.  :))

I guess they need to take their money and turn it into some common "cents."  ;)

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Broke for cards

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I guess they need to take their money and turn it into some common "cents."  ;)

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

[rimshot][/rimshot]

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen!  He's here 'til Thursday - try the roast beef!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:02:03 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:22:35 AM »

Asad

• Newcomer
  • Founder of 52Kards.com

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Call me a sucker, but I ended up buying one. I wanted to get a professional surface to improve the production value of my videos and this was the best one I could find. I ended up having a pretty poor customer experience. Their product description says that it takes at most 5 days to process the order; mine took almost 2 weeks. When it finally arrived, I opened it up to find that it was the wrong color (I ordered red, it came in green). They offered to pay for the return shipment and making me a new one, but I didn't want to go through the whole waiting process again. I liked how the green one looked anyways.

One of the major selling points for this pad was that in the product description it says that "has a removable felt top so that repair or replacements can easily be made." It makes it sound as if there is a design feature that allows replacements to be made, but this is simply not true. When I contacted their support team for instructions on how to replace the felt top, this is the response I received:

"Be very careful as we are not responsible for any damage to the pad whilst trying to change or remove the pad but...
Pop one of the feet off of the bottom, drill a small hole in the center of where that rubber foot was and push pad up with the drill bit
Those are instructions from our worker who makes the pads."

At the end of the day, I was looking for a close up pad that looks good on camera, so it serves my purpose. However, I wouldn't exactly recommend it for others as it is indeed overpriced.
"Playing Cards Are The Poetry Of Magic"
 Founder of 52Kards.com

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 07:56:12 AM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
Pop one of the feet off of the bottom, drill a small hole in the center of where that rubber foot was and push pad up with the drill bit

Breathtaking. Thanks for sharing this. The word (is it a word?) "flim-flam" comes to mind......oh excuse me. Marketing, I meant to say.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Breathtaking. Thanks for sharing this. The word (is it a word?) "flim-flam" comes to mind......oh excuse me. Marketing, I meant to say.

It is indeed a word.  It's in the dictionary, been there for at least a hundred years.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I'm actually now thinking about making my own closeup pad this winter when I get some time. If you know anything about making poker tables and available materials you can buy, this project should not be too difficult.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:33:08 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 01:52:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm actually now thinking about making my own closeup pad this winter when I get some time. If you know anything about making poker tables and available materials you can buy, this project should not be too difficult.

Why wait?  You could drum up some retail interest if the end result is attractive and effective.

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Why wait?  You could drum up some retail interest if the end result is attractive and effective.

I don't have the time or the resources right now. I really need to concentrate on more immediate life events. I don't want to be the guy that starts something without a plan of staying committed to the idea and finishing what I started. It has too wait.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:54:48 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Understood - but work on building one, the right one, then see what makes it right, how to improve it, break down the process to supplies needed and steps taken - in other words, in your slack time, figure out the process and how to perfect it as best as you can.  When life events settle down, your game plan will be ready and waiting for you.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

AvantCarde

• Newcomer
Also offer it in Black... Then you have a customer right here.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Also offer it in Black... Then you have a customer right here.

Black would be my norm, Not the exception.

Many resources and expenses to consider that we might be taking for granted. I'm just looking to make a small sampling for myself and a few friends. Someone going into full production has to consider time, labor, cost of depreciating tools, electricity etc. I'm NOT the New Yankee Workshop. I don't blame D&D asking their price on this particular item.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:39:15 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I'm definitely interested! Please let me know if you end up doing this!!