You are Here:
Dale Mathis “3D and Mechanical” Deck (KS)

Author (Read 8710 times)

Dale Mathis “3D and Mechanical” Deck (KS)
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:47 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

This got announced on Tuckcase.com today.

"Electromechanical Designer Dale Mathis of Las Vegas is set to launch his very first Kickstarter project on October 12th that breaks new ground in playing card development. The actual cards are just like a standard deck of playing cards. However, what makes this deck so unique is what happens after you are done playing a game of cards. The “3D and Mechanical” piece to this project is in the tuck case and the add-ons the turn this deck into a displayable contraption complete with a special frame. Dale has designed a clockwork like contraption that is complete with movable gears and a mechanical card frame."

The project will be launched on Kickstarter on October 12th.

"The project will have a goal of $35K and will fund for only 30 days. Decks start at $25 without the mechanical frame. The frame tier starts at $155."

Pics:

And the video of the deck/frame interaction:

-----------------------------------------

So very excited for this! Save your pennies for the next fortnight, you're gonna need them!  :D
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

Re: Dale Mathis “3D and Mechanical” Deck (KS)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Wow, that does look pretty good. The tuck itself is pretty eye popping
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Interesting because the tuck is so unique. They aren't cheap, but they are less than I expected that they would be. I may just have to take a plunge on these, although at that price level (even though it may be a good deal based on materials and time...it's still VERY expensive for most), and goal level, I don't think that they will come close to getting funded. Maybe have cards with that design printed on the tuck at normal prices, and have the true mechanical deck at the higher pledge levels. I like the mechanics of it, don't care for the Steampunk feel at all, but not so much that it would deter me from a very unique deck. I wonder if they would be 3D printed for lower total cost and ease of manufacture?

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
That's a pretty eclectic piece of equipment. I'm impressed nonetheless, and might back it, but I don't really know if it's so much playing cards with a nifty case and picture frame as it is a neat picture frame and tuckcase with cool playing cards.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
That's a very good point, and that may make it appeal to a much broader audience.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I really like the uniqueness of the deck itself, very innovative and all, but I'm not blown away by the "Mechanical" interaction with the frame, it's just gears turning. That being said I'll back it with a deck or two, but the frame isn't for me.

Kudos on the concept and thinking outside the box, as it were.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Interesting because the tuck is so unique. They aren't cheap, but they are less than I expected that they would be. I may just have to take a plunge on these, although at that price level (even though it may be a good deal based on materials and time...it's still VERY expensive for most), and goal level, I don't think that they will come close to getting funded. Maybe have cards with that design printed on the tuck at normal prices, and have the true mechanical deck at the higher pledge levels. I like the mechanics of it, don't care for the Steampunk feel at all, but not so much that it would deter me from a very unique deck. I wonder if they would be 3D printed for lower total cost and ease of manufacture?

The deck starts at $25, no frame.  That's the cheapest deck.  It will sell, but not to the playing card audience so much as to the art and high design audience, in a similar manner to how the Misc. Good Co. deck took off.  The goal is big for a playing card deck, tiny for an art project of this nature.

Guys, Dale's a member here.  He wrote about this deck before.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/design-development/the-mechanical-card-deck-by-dale-mathis/
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

dalemathis

• A lover of great Design no matter what it is.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the feedback folks on the project, Here's a link to the actual Kickstarter draft page. Keep in  mind its a work in progress until launch date Oct 12th.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dalemathis/280770010?token=c72c7942

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
When I saw your work, it made me cuss. And I mean like "f%&#! That's cool" How soon before the rest of the deck gets it's debut? I'm very intrigued with what you have so far, and most definitely with what's coming.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
I've been waiting for this for a while now... and now, I'm blown away! That is just.. wow! So amazing!

I would LOVE to have that frame standing on my desk and just plug in a deck of cards every know and then, that would be cool. But $170 is a lot of money, especially for a student. Have you considered making a smaller frame, or any other way of making the gears rotate without the need of a frame?

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
(This deck is all about the Tuck Box.) I get it, but I have a theory that most collectors want one deck to save and one deck to open. Maybe you could have a reward with your custom box with gears and one deck without the gears. Make it like $35. ($25 deck with gears + $10 without gears) Also, I see the back of the card and the one Joker. I know it's mainly a standard deck but could you show the 2 Jokers, 2 Promo cards, and the Ace of Spades on your Kickstarter.  I think it's important to show all the custom artwork.  Also, is this the back of your tuck box?  It's not clear.

Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/dalemathis

Kickstarter:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dalemathis/280770010?token=c72c7942
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:13:37 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
When I saw your work, it made me cuss. And I mean like "f%&#! That's cool" How soon before the rest of the deck gets it's debut? I'm very intrigued with what you have so far, and most definitely with what's coming.

The Tuck Box was the main focus on this project that's why I stated that the deck will be pretty standard with the exception of the Joker and Ace of Spades. I will reveal the Ace of Spades as the campaign moves forward so stay tuned.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I've been waiting for this for a while now... and now, I'm blown away! That is just.. wow! So amazing!

I would LOVE to have that frame standing on my desk and just plug in a deck of cards every know and then, that would be cool. But $170 is a lot of money, especially for a student. Have you considered making a smaller frame, or any other way of making the gears rotate without the need of a frame?

I have some goodies for those of you who cant afford the Mechanical frame later in the campaign. Im aware that everyone cant afford the frame so I have made a version that has no electronics in it but has the same look as the Mechanical version. Again I will reveal later in the project. Also keep in mind this frame will work with any deck out there.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
Sounds great! Any plans about what time of the day the project will go live? I know it'll be the 12th, but at what time of the day? Also, what time zone? I wanna be ready from the start  ;)

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
4 pm London Time GMT.

Who ever gets there first will get the total package for $1....... Limited to one person.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
4 pm London Time GMT.

Who ever gets there first will get the total package for $1....... Limited to one person.

Dale that's a fantastic offer...........I hope KS doesn't blame you for the server crash around that time  ;)

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
4 pm London Time GMT.

Dale that's a fantastic offer...........I hope KS doesn't blame you for the server crash around that time  ;)

Yeah - better to have a random drawing for all pledges in the first hour or something.

For people too lazy to look, 16:00 GMT is noon in New York/Toronto and 9am in California/Vancouver.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks Don, I was in fact one of the ones too lazy to look!

For those wanting a gear deck, but not the frame, make sure that you note that the gears built into/onto the frame interact with the gears on the deck. It becomes one unit, and isn't just somewhere to randomly stick a deck. I missed that feature myself when I first looked at it.

I also agree to have a random drawing. I think that's more fair, and will also draw more people to the project the first hour.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:25:19 AM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I like the random drawing idea, but that could be construed as a contest. Thats a no no on KS. I've emailed KS about this before about adding drawings on as part of the project. Lets just say their "legal" department is a lot like USPC's.
Someone would have to complain. Not sure if I would risk it.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like the random drawing idea, but that could be construed as a contest. Thats a no no on KS. I've emailed KS about this before about adding drawings on as part of the project. Lets just say their "legal" department is a lot like USPC's.
Someone would have to complain. Not sure if I would risk it.

You're right, actually.  No contests, sweepstakes, etc.  So I guess it's got to be a mad dash for first backer!  It's going to be crazy.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
So I just pre-spent a lot of money. Very intrigued with what you've got planned for the rest of the campaign!

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm in for one............at the moment, lol

Good Luck Dale!!

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
So far pledges are running about $1,000 an hour. THAT is insane. I don't believe there will be any problems being full funded today! I'm very nervous about the updates however, I'm afraid of how much higher my pledge might go. Better start snooping around for additional things to auction off....

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »

whaam

• True Member
 Nice idea with the 3d tuck-box, looking cool though..those are only clock gears and I have those so...I'm gonna make 1 for myself :)
I counted 19 pics on KS page...and all show the same thing,...clock gears. Whole campaign focused on advertising metal frame and gears,... no card pics shown anywhere on main page.
   And, $25 for a deck !! Is that correct ? Not sure why price is so....wow...high,...embellishment costs I guess.
And...mechanical frame at $155, not many can afford this but...campaign is going great, it'll probably go over $50,000. Great work guys, all the best :)

Johnny

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
As far as I'm concerned this project IS all about the tuck box. It's artistic,unique and different and that's what interested me right away. Ya the frames aren't for everyone, but the deck itself is a great piece in and of it's own...IMO.

When it comes to art there are always those who will say things like "It's just this, or it's just that" well, then why hasn't it been done before? Or if it has, why wasn't it as successful or appealing?

Art will always be subjective and this is a piece of art more than a deck of cards.