Author (Read 1901 times)

What got you into cards?
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:59 AM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Answer the following questions so everybody gets to know a little bit more about everybody and what sparked their interest in cards...

-What sparked your interest in cards? - About 4 years ago I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrdBUFeFtY

-Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other? (If other please specify) - I am a cardist, magician, and somewhat of a collector.

-Why do you do what you do? (Magic, Flourish, Collect) - I flourish because it's a great stress reliever, and helps my finger dexterity, it also improves my magic. I perform magic (every now and then) because I like people's reactions.

-How long have you been into cards? - I started about 4 years ago but took a 2 year break and I'm happy I'm back.

Re: What got you into cards?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:29:59 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
What sparked my interest in cards? when I lived in Perth I saw a magician doing magic, with cards, he came up to me and got me to pick a card and I've been fascinated ever since (about 5 years ago)

Am I a magician, cardist, collector, or other? (If other please specify) - magician, collector, flourisher

Why do I do what I do? (Magic, Flourish, Collect) - flourish, helps me keep the nerves down and helps me concentrate on work ( doing charlier cuts, one handed cuts), magic I love the reactions on peoples faces as they try work out what I did, collect, I love cards and what types there are.

How long have I been into cards? - 5 years, but only started doing tricks and collecting about 8-11 months
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I played card games since I was very young.
I love cards since then, after that when I was in high school. I started magic tricks.
That makes me love cards more.
I'm now a new card collector!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:47:17 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
-What sparked your interest in cards? - My interest in Magic actually, it just seems like a natural step, so much you can do in card magic with so little props

-Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other? (If other please specify) - Magician and Collector (Sometimes I add a bit of Cardistry to some routines but I'm not an avid Cardist)

-Why do you do what you do? (Magic, Flourish, Collect) - Mostly magic, If I see a nice deck (Eg- The Vortex deck) I will get two one to open one to keep sealed in my collection :)

-How long have you been into cards? - Probably since I was 14 (So about 5 years) - Into magic for about 11 years so it took a while :P
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Mismag822
Cardist,collector
Collect,Magic
8 mouths

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I always had a great time playing card games with my family; started really young.  I got into poker a while back; I'm a pretty good hold 'em player and I know what to do in most other variations.  I was into magic from a really young age but I grew quite disillusioned with the glitz and Victorian mannerisms of most of the magicians I saw.  I actually worked out how a bunch of them were doing their tricks just from rudimentary special effects knowledge from VHS tapes that included 'making ofs' back in the day and TV specials.  Then Derren Brown reinvigorated my love for magic with his first TV special.  Cards were always a great source of fun and bonding for me and I always thought they were cool, basically.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:48:07 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
8 mouths

how did you do it with 8 mouths mutant boy? im just joking

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
When I was little my grandfather used to show me the 4 Kings trick.  Since then I'd been interested in magic, but never a performer, just a spectator.  When I went off to college I had very few friends, and no roommate.  Watching youtube videos of magicians one day, I stumbled upon a tutorial for a simple trick by accident.  I frantically dug through my stuff for a deck of cards and practiced that.  From there I did more research, discovered Ellusionist, and in about 10 months I was ready to perform for people. That was 5 years ago, and I have only got more and more into it since.  I regularly collect playing cards as new decks are released, Black Tiger was my FIRST custom deck -- I ALWAYS open, and at least spread through the decks I get (unless I have more than 1), no matter how rare.

I perform regularly in bars and clubs for fun - not paid.  Magic is (and probably always will be) exclusively a passionate hobby for me, not a career. 

I perform card tricks instead of other magic because cards are easy to carry with me.  The reason I do magic though, is because when you are little, the world is so new, everything is amazing and nothing makes sense.  There is this feeling of wonderment every time you experience something new.  Then you get older, and you go off to school, and they teach you about the world.  That wonderment and amazement is gone.  Everything makes sense and you have the world in the palm of your hand.  With magic, even if just for a moment, you get to be a kid again.  You get to forget about your job, about your daily responsibilities, and you get an opportunity to get lost in amazement once more.  That's why I perform.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What sparked your interest in cards? - I was interested in magic and all the tutorials on YouTube used decks that actually spread and fanned well. So I picked up an Ellusionist deck and the obsession began.

-Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other? Started as a magician, then a cardist, then a collector, and now a designer.

-Why do you do what you do? Because it's absolutely fun!

-How long have you been into cards? - Since I was a little kid, but I only became serious about it about two years ago.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:58:43 AM »

Bulldozah

What sparked your interest in cards?
My dad and I used to play card games since when I was about 3. Every once in a while, he would pull off a simple card trick, and it amazed me. This stopped for a number of years, then about six months we started playing again, and again with the simple magic tricks. However, now I was determined to figure out how he did what he did, and maybe even do some magic on my own. From there, I went on to youtube, and eventually found Ellusionist. Since then, my horizons have spread to flourishing, and even a little collecting. Collecting especially fascinates me, as I had no idea how many different brands and styles of cards there were.

Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other?
I started off as doing magic purely as a hobby, but now I've started to do other stuff too. I love the reactions I get when I perform for my friends and family, and my focus on cardistry has has allowed me to be far less stressed out. (You'd be surprised how doing a few simple cuts can really calm you down.)

Why do you do what you do?
I love everything about it - the awe, amazement and wonder from magic, and the pleasure of finally being able to do something makes it worthwhile. Also, the more I see the community and their opinions, the more it makes me even happier!

How long have you been into cards?
Been playing card games for 13 years, but only just gotten into magic and the rest in the last 2-3 months.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:59:04 AM by Bulldozah »

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 05:08:21 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other?
I started off as doing magic purely as a hobby, but now I've started to do other stuff too. I love the reactions I get when I perform for my friends and family, and my focus on cardistry has has allowed me to be far less stressed out. (You'd be surprised how doing a few simple cuts can really calm you down.)
ha, thats the same with me, i get stressed and i pull out my deck and play with it a bit, calms me down heaps!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular
  • "Heres to those actually in the arena..."

• Facebook:
How did i get into Cards?

Well i always grew up with my family playing poker and other gambling card games (not actually gambling though). By the time i got to college i was just looking for ways to expand my view of the world and things that i could accomplish. When I stumbled upon a deck of my cards in my room and remembered the times in high school that i had seen friends perform magic. I remember the feeling i got being astounded by his tricks, and the happiness it brought me.

Being an education major (music) i have an innate drive to bring happiness to others. I decided to look into this world i had never been influenced majorly by before. Me and my friend decided to start collecting cards, and tricks that went with them. Since then i have brought hours of entertainment to those around me in my residence hall and countless smiles to the community.

It was an investment that i will be continuing and would start all over again!

I love my cards! I will ALWAYS open a new pack of cards that i have received and will use them at some point unless i have two of that particular deck.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
-What sparked your interest in cards?
I always had a fascination with playing cards for as long as I can remember.  What other "game" is there that you can play so many games with?  I was also into typewriters (later computers) as well as anything used to keep time (watches, clocks, calendars, etc.).  As a kid I played around with a Svengali "TV Magic" deck as well as a few stripper decks and one really weird-looking DeLand Automatic Deck (it practically screamed "I'm a trick deck!"), but never did anything spectacular with it - just the obvious, unimaginative tricks.  I always loved magic, too - used to Wilson's Saturday morning magic show (broadcast LIVE at the time, no camera stunts!) while it was on the air.  I lost interest for several years (except maybe a few risque/nudie decks!), but my interest in cards returned when I started playing in a family poker game at my dad's house.  The game died when he did a few years ago.  I thought of starting a small poker game of my own last year and started poking around the net for unique, cool-looking playing cards.  By sheer chance, Google led me to Ellusionist.  I took the plunge and placed an order in December, which arrived on Christmas Eve.  I work night shifts, so I took my package to work; before the shift was over I was already performing some simple but fun tricks for people I know at work.  (It's been all downhill ever since...)
;)

-Are you a magician, cardist, collector, or other? (If other please specify)
I'm a magician and collector, with interests in getting into cardistry and coin magic.  I picked up "Metal" and De'Vo's beginner DVDs but haven't had the time to really dedicate to them yet.  What I am working on now is Erdnase and Royal Road.  I felt a need to get into the real sleight-of-hand basics before going on to the flashier and newer stuff.

-Why do you do what you do? (Magic, Flourish, Collect)
I collect because I love cards, period.  Always have.  Always will.  My overall favorites are Tally-Hos.
I perform magic because I love spreading a little fascination to people.  I especially enjoy watching them try (and fail) to figure out how I do certain tricks!  I volunteer at a hospital now (I'm heading there very soon, in fact) where I perform for the kids in the pediatric unit.  You want to try something VERY rewarding, give that a shot, seriously.

-How long have you been into cards?
Since childhood.  As young as I can remember.  I was kind of a prodigy as a kid so I picked up on cards earlier than most kids would.

I'm adding a question to this list, if no one minds.
-What are your personal interests outside of cards, cardistry and magic?
Well, you know about my volunteering.  I love to read and I'm a big movie buff.  I also practice a Japanese martial art called aikido - I've been at it for over five years and hopefully I'll be testing for my black belt in the spring of 2012.  For anyone who knows a bit about the art, I'm affiliated with Takemusu Aikido Association, which follows the teachings of Saito-shihan and Iwama style - my sensei throws in a dash of Sugano-sensei's jo and bokken work, and he practiced under Sugano for several years.  I also started dating a beautiful woman in the spring - I'm a native New Yorker, she's from Ukraine and has been here for nearly two decades.  I moved in with her this month and, if all goes well, I plan to propose to her on our anniversary in July!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
my interest in cards are they are always around when i need them, i never played card games but always like them, im a magician and i do it because i love the reaction it gets, i have been into card collecting for a few months now and a magician for a year or so, and other then magic i dance, write poetry, and sing.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular
  • "Heres to those actually in the arena..."

• Facebook:
my interest in cards are they are always around when i need them, i never played card games but always like them, im a magician and i do it because i love the reaction it gets, i have been into card collecting for a few months now and a magician for a year or so, and other then magic i dance, write poetry, and sing.

Yay for advancing the arts!
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein