You are Here:
Dimensions!

Author (Read 1920 times)

Dimensions!
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »

nbrock

• Newcomer
Hey Guys,

I've been working on a playing card deck now for nearly 5 months and its coming together nicely. I cannot wait to show you guys what its about!

So, its time for me to figure out pricing costs for shipping and dimensions for packaging. I wondered if anyone has released any document or guide when it comes to this topic. I know there have been alot of Kickstarter projects for playing cards, so I wondered if anyone has shared their postage / dimensions experience with us. If there hasn't been anything released, I will put some time aside to give everyone a guide to the postage costing, as I intend to try the Kickstarter way to help fund the cards.

What I think would be great for everyone to know is a guide to:

- Know the average price of a 2,5000 deck printed by the USPCC (usually around $6-8000)
- Know the best + easiest currier to go with for individuals
- Know the weight of a single playing card deck
- Know the weight and dimensions of a brick
- Know the best packets to use to protect the decks.

I also intend to do a list of price breakdown for each deck shipping. Be it 1/2/5 or 10 Decks in a single parcel etc.  for Canada USA and some Europe prices. That way others may not get screwed over when it comes to costing shipping charges :)

Has anything like been done before or shared?

Cheers for reading! :)

Re: Dimensions!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Guys,

I've been working on a playing card deck now for nearly 5 months and its coming together nicely. I cannot wait to show you guys what its about!

So, its time for me to figure out pricing costs for shipping and dimensions for packaging. I wondered if anyone has released any document or guide when it comes to this topic. I know there have been alot of Kickstarter projects for playing cards, so I wondered if anyone has shared their postage / dimensions experience with us. If there hasn't been anything released, I will put some time aside to give everyone a guide to the postage costing, as I intend to try the Kickstarter way to help fund the cards.

What I think would be great for everyone to know is a guide to:

- Know the average price of a 2,5000 deck printed by the USPCC (usually around $6-8000)
- Know the best + easiest currier to go with for individuals
- Know the weight of a single playing card deck
- Know the weight and dimensions of a brick
- Know the best packets to use to protect the decks.

I also intend to do a list of price breakdown for each deck shipping. Be it 1/2/5 or 10 Decks in a single parcel etc.  for Canada USA and some Europe prices. That way others may not get screwed over when it comes to costing shipping charges :)

Has anything like been done before or shared?

Cheers for reading! :)

- There's no average price for a 2,500-deck print run.  It depending on features and the pricing in effect at the time, both of which will vary from project to project.
- The cheapest courier in the US is the Postal Service.  You can try for a volume deal with one of the other carriers, but it's unlikely you'll get one unless you're shipping a LOT of decks over an extended period.
- The weight of a deck varies, but it averages 94mg (3.3 oz.).
- You've never bought a brick before?  A poker deck is 63x88mm (2.5x3.5") and the thickness will vary with the stock.  In a brick box, they're laid three-in-a-row, side-by-side, and four rows high.  Again, thickness varies, but four decks stacked flat is a bit taller than a single deck is wide (63mm/2.5").  It should weight nearly forty ounces (2.5 lbs.) on average, adding a small amount for the brick box itself.
- "Best packets": most people use either a Priority Mail Flat Rate Small Box or Padded Envelope (the envelopes are cheaper, but require a little extra padding for protection) on a small order or a PMFR Medium Box for larger orders.  It will vary based on the protection you add, but the envelope or small box can hold as much as a dozen decks - less with padding - and a medium box can hold a half-gross (six bricks) - again, less with padding.  A half-gross of decks is still within the PMFR limit of 75 lbs. regardless of size (but it does have to fit in the PMFR boxes/envelopes).

Pricing, both domestic and international, can be worked out at usps.com.  If you sign up for an account, you can even pay for and print pre-paid postage labels and Customs forms, plus they offer a slight discount for services that you purchase online.  However, certain services such as Registered Mail, etc., can't be bought online and have to be purchased at the PO.  You'll save time using a cheap B&W laser printer and adhesive sheets, but it might cost a little more since clear packing tape and plain paper will probably be cheaper than adhesive sheets.

FYI: factor in every single penny you'll need to spend to the best of your abilities - and maybe add another ten percent to factor in for errors - for all of your packaging materials.  The Post Office will ship you free Priority Mail packaging, but the tape, paper, labels, padding, etc. is all on you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »

nbrock

• Newcomer
Don, your a star!

Theres some real helpful tips in amongst that. Thank you! Yes, I've not bought a brick yet but I think I will be backing one on KS this month when one comes up.

Do you think its a good idea to still put together a brochure so to speak for others to get educated on?

Thanks again !
Chris

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey nbrock,

While we all have second hand information that will be helpful, you need to contact the USPCC to get a accurate quote based on your art work and features.

Email : tiffanymahan@usplayingcard.com

They will also provide a Kickstarter document that will help you along with other documentation. 

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

They will also provide a Kickstarter document that will help you along with other documentation.

I don't find the information USPCC provides that helpful.  However, it's worth the time and energy to get a good working quote as it does vary, and don't forget review and set up fees.  I still am exhausted over the cost of a single proof deck.  As for a guide on the rest, a best practices for Kickstarter launches would make it a lot easier for even more people to publish their decks. 

As for shipping via Priority boxes, just because it's priority doesn't mean it'll cost you much more (unless you go with flat rate, don't go flat rate unless you ship heavy stuff).  I've shipped over 5,000 items in the past two years most of which have been picked up from my front porch (despite the grumblings of the postal drivers), and unless it ships to California, I almost always ship priority because the cost is near the same or sometimes even cheaper than regular shipping.  Plus they send you free boxes!!  Be careful because the USPS started sending out 'Regional Rate Box's' which is very much like a flat rate box and costs more to ship that standard Priority Mail in some cases.  As for printing, a regular laser printer and clear tape work just fine and isn't as expensive as precut labels, but it is more work.  I manage with 25 packages a day and it doesn't take that much time.  As far as tape and packing, BUY IN BULK!.  I am fortunate enough to live near ULine so I can pick up my boxes and packing materials without having to pay for shipping.

Now if you want to discuss the cost of doing business: material costs, shipping, fees, UPC codes, illustrator expense, taxes ... that's some heavy math.  I have some serious spreadsheets to help me manage the books to make sure the kickstarter offering will produce a profit at some point.  I always put my goal at cost including the Amazon and Kickstarter fees.  I expect to make profits on the additional decks that are sold above the goal, which I am sure most people do. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don, your a star!

Theres some real helpful tips in amongst that. Thank you! Yes, I've not bought a brick yet but I think I will be backing one on KS this month when one comes up.

Do you think its a good idea to still put together a brochure so to speak for others to get educated on?

Thanks again !
Chris

Cheers, and thanks.

A brochure...  Well, you will be making a brochure - it's called your "Kickstarter project home page"!  :))  Seriously, you'll be selling through an electronic medium - the most I'd bother printing is a little DIY business card with deck images on one side and a name and a QR code on the other.  I wouldn't print too many though, since 90% of them you'll probably hand out to people you personally meet to talk about the program with, and the remaining 10% will go in the mail or something like that - I'd be surprised if you needed more than 100-200 cards, so printing yourself on Avery Clean-Edge double-sided business card stock will do just fine.  Stick to a white stock for accurate reproduction of your colors and use the most color-accurate printer you can get your hands on - despite claims to the contrary, WYSI rarely WYG on most cheap SO/HO inkjet printers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/