Author (Read 16816 times)

Imperial Deck - IN PROGRESS
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey everyone,

I haven't been posting on here very much lately, but I'm always checking here and UC to see what's going on so I don't miss anything. Right now I'm switching back and forth at nights working on the next ORNATE Decks and a new deck I started on - The Fabergé Deck!

The Court Cards will have 12 different Fabergé inspired eggs I'm modeling in 3d. Each Court Card will have 2 copies of it's egg to keep it symmetrical and will have other design elements I haven't started on yet. The first finished Court egg is the Pearl Egg for the Queen of Spades. The Red Egg doesn't have the oval emblem because it will be used on the Back Design. I just started posting updates once a week to my Facebook page and I'll start doing the same in this thread.

Also, I designed a Deck that should be released next week, I believe!! It's not a Midnight Cards Deck, it's a _________ Deck. I'm sure more info will come up soon on that one.

thanks, Randy

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:19:33 PM by RandyButterfield »

Re: Fabergé Deck - IN PROGRESS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

Hey everyone,

I haven't been posting on here very much lately, but I'm always checking here and UC to see what's going on so I don't miss anything. Right now I'm switching back and forth at nights working on the next ORNATE Decks and a new deck I started on - The Fabergé Deck!

The Court Cards will have 12 different Fabergé inspired eggs I'm modeling in 3d. Each Court Card will have 2 copies of it's egg to keep it symmetrical and will have other design elements I haven't started on yet. The first finished Court egg is the Pearl Egg for the Queen of Spades. The Red Egg doesn't have the oval emblem because it will be used on the Back Design. I just started posting updates once a week to my Facebook page and I'll start doing the same in this thread.

Also, I designed a Deck that should be released next week, I believe!! It's not a Midnight Cards Deck, it's a _________ Deck. I'm sure more info will come up soon on that one.

thanks, Randy
I apologise if this is very ignorant of me, but this deck you're making is an egg  deck?

EDIT: Yep. Just googled fabergé haha - should have probably done it before posting this... Lazy, lazy, lazy, DrianAbara. :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:16:42 PM by DrianAbara »
Love is magic

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yes, DrianAbara, very lazy...  :))

Randy - can you tell us more about the new Ornates?  Perhaps in a new topic?  Like the new one I'm about to start in the Plethora?  :))  Like, as in THIS topic:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/the-next-ornate-decks/

(I already know about next week's deck, but I'm mum on it for now...)

The Faberge concept is interesting, but I'd need to see more of it to get a better grasp of where you want to take it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:42:02 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm very excited to see how you incorporate fabergé into a deck of cards!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Here's the first finished Court Card for the Fabergé Deck - the Queen of Spades!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Here's the first finished Court Card for the Fabergé Deck - the Queen of Spades!

thanks, Randy

Is the Fabergé Deck the official name you've given it, or just a working title?

The Queen looks nice - but that's one HUUUUUUGE index!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:28 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Is the Fabergé Deck the official name you've given it, or just a working title?

The Queen looks nice - but that's one HUUUUUUGE index!

Hey Don,

It hope that will be it's name. I plan on contacting the Faberge people to ask about using the name when I get a couple more cards finished. None of the eggs will be similar to an existing Faberge Egg so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. If I have to the name can be something more generic like "Russian Treasures" or "Imperial Eggs". I definitely don't want any legal craziness to deal with, like Himber and his Lego Deck!

For the Index, I made it large to matchup with the large PIPS. I figured it would also help with card readability since the Eggs are so different than a human court hero image. The PIPS are large to account for the missing 3rd and 4th PIPS found on most standard court cards. When printed at size, they are actually smaller than the usual large face card PIPS. The 2-10 cards will have the big PIPS on the left corners, but will have much smaller PIPS in the center - opposite of the norm.

Thanks, Randy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:02:09 AM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Here's a look at the Number Cards and closeups of the PIPs. I was going for a shiny enamel button look for the PIPs. The versions with the diagonal etches will be used for the larger corner suits. The versions without the etches are for the smaller suits in the center.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Here's a look at the Number Cards and closeups of the PIPs. I was going for a shiny enamel button look for the PIPs. The versions with the diagonal etches will be used for the larger corner suits. The versions without the etches are for the smaller suits in the center.

I'm liking the large indexes combined with small pips.  I also like the diagonal layout of the number cards - if only there was a practical way to use that with the courts as well...

Speaking of courts, consider doing two eggs in some variant of the traditional profile.  I'm not saying every deck on Earth must have that layout, but there's a reason why the double-header was created.  Gamblers, in the days before the corner index, could spot players that were holding court cards when they were rotating the cards in their hand - turning the court cards right-side up.  Alternately, a gambler could fool a fellow player/card sharp into thinking they held court cards simply by rotating whatever card they have instead.

But in the end, it's a design choice, and less important with the advent of the index.  USPC introduced several decks with "full-page" courts which actually looked pretty cool, but I'm guessing weren't popular with the public since none of their current decks have this feature.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Speaking of courts, consider doing two eggs in some variant of the traditional profile.  I'm not saying every deck on Earth must have that layout, but there's a reason why the double-header was created.  Gamblers, in the days before the corner index, could spot players that were holding court cards when they were rotating the cards in their hand - turning the court cards right-side up.  Alternately, a gambler could fool a fellow player/card sharp into thinking they held court cards simply by rotating whatever card they have instead.

But in the end, it's a design choice, and less important with the advent of the index.  USPC introduced several decks with "full-page" courts which actually looked pretty cool, but I'm guessing weren't popular with the public since none of their current decks have this feature.

Hey Don, I think you forgot about the Queen of Spades up above. The Courts will be double-headers. They'll each be completely symmetrical.

The Red Egg up top is meant for the back design that I'll probably start on next.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey Don, I think you forgot about the Queen of Spades up above. The Courts will be double-headers. They'll each be completely symmetrical.

The Red Egg up top is meant for the back design that I'll probably start on next.

Thanks, Randy

I didn't see that!  Suggestion for Kings - display the eggs with the lid flipped open!  The egg interiors are even more spectacular than the exteriors.

I had a buddy a while back who was a silversmith.  He started working on a project to create Fabergé-style eggs in silver.  Unfortunately, he passed away before being able to complete his work.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I didn't see that!  Suggestion for Kings - display the eggs with the lid flipped open!  The egg interiors are even more spectacular than the exteriors.

I had a buddy a while back who was a silversmith.  He started working on a project to create Fabergé-style eggs in silver.  Unfortunately, he passed away before being able to complete his work.

Hey Don,

Sorry about your buddy. The Fabergé eggs really are amazing inside as well! I've thought about having open lids for one of the suits and in place of the closed lid would be a Gold "surprise" element like a crown, flowers or something else. Even if I end up not doing any open lids on the Courts I plan on using at least 1 open Egg for the Jokers, AOS, Tuck Box or Brick Box artwork.

My original plan with the Queens was to have Gold Flowers that would be the Egg's surprise element. They would have been to the left of the Egg, above the banner. I liked the look of the finished oblong shape above the banner so much that I thought adding the Gold Flowers would take away from the cleanness of the current version. I will definitely find a way to incorporate 1 or more of the detailed surprises that were contained within the Eggs, but make them Card related.

On a side note, my family and I are visiting an old college friend and his family in Detroit next weekend. It just happens that the Detroit Institute of Arts is the current home of the largest Fabergé collection in the U.S. (on loan from the VMFA). We're going next Saturday to check it out!

http://www.dia.org/calendar/exhibition.aspx?id=3158&iid

thanks, Randy

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:35:21 PM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Consider your double-headed design - you could just as easily have one "head" with a closed lid and the other with the lid either opened on its hinge or removed to reveal the treasure inside.

Have fun at the exhibit - I hope it serves as solid inspiration!

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:00:37 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Consider your double-headed design - you could just as easily have one "head" with a closed lid and the other with the lid either opened on its hinge or removed to reveal the treasure inside.

I like that idea! Doing it that way would make it possible to show each Egg closed and open to reveal the surprise. Wouldn't a lot of people freak out that the Courts are not completely symmetrical though? Although, I guess if they're card purists they wouldn't be happy with Eggs replacing traditional royalty figures in the first place!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I like that idea! Doing it that way would make it possible to show each Egg closed and open to reveal the surprise. Wouldn't a lot of people freak out that the Courts are not completely symmetrical though? Although, I guess if they're card purists they wouldn't be happy with Eggs replacing traditional royalty figures in the first place!

Thanks, Randy

I can't imagine anyone but the most traditional card players objecting - and they'd be less likely to buy a custom deck in the first place, as you noted.  It's an elegant solution and I feel it will give the courts more character and make them more attractive as well.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 03:31:29 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Fabulous design as always Randy! For some reason I feel like I want to eat the eggs in that deck. They look like chocolate eggs that they sell here in China. YUM!

sorry i know my reply wasn't helpful at all I really just wanted to say how much it looks delicious...

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Thanks Lara! It's good to see you back on the Forum!!

Don, I'll think about that idea more over this week. It would definitely add a whole new level of complexity for myself when building the Egg models. I might simplify it a little by having only 3 unique surprises for the open Eggs - Gold Flowers for all 3 Queens, Gold Crowns for all 3 Kings and I'm back-and-forth on a good surprise item for the Jacks. That way the colors used will help spot the Suit quickly and the surprise used will help spot the denomination quickly.

Over at U C Magikfingerz had a good suggestion on the Number Cards - changing the suits' orientation so they're facing the right direction at the Top half instead of the Bottom half. I like it! This is how the rest of the Number Cards will look in layout.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Here's the Back Design!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Wait. First the chocolate eggs... now I just found the HIDDEN MICKEY.
I just had to say that.

And it looks so 3D! Like the eggs are gonna pop out any moment. That is cool.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Wait. First the chocolate eggs... now I just found the HIDDEN MICKEY.
I just had to say that.

And it looks so 3D! Like the eggs are gonna pop out any moment. That is cool.

Thanks Lara. Yeah, my wife pointed out the accidental Mickey when I showed her the design! Oh well. I like the corner elements as is, so he's gettin' comfy and enjoying the ride!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 06:50:17 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just a personal opinion, I think the diamonds and the hearts are very similar in colour and the round corners make it look the same in some ways. I dont know its just what I think.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:23:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just a personal opinion, I think the diamonds and the hearts are very similar in colour and the round corners make it look the same in some ways. I dont know its just what I think.

See, the similarity in color is intentional - both are near red in the spectrum without being identical colors. And as far as the pips - the hearts appear much larger than the diamonds; I have no trouble telling them apart.  Same goes for the "black" suits, two colors close to blue but not identical.  It's a great way to create a four-color deck that won't screw you up when playing solitaire and other card games.

Hey, check it out - there's a metric ton of hidden detail in those pips.  Seeing them large size on an iPad screen really made that pop out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:25:07 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Yeh there is great detail but wouldnt it be hard to tell when its shrunk down into playing card size? Might be difficult to tell the lines inside the pips when shrunk so much.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeh there is great detail but wouldnt it be hard to tell when its shrunk down into playing card size? Might be difficult to tell the lines inside the pips when shrunk so much.

If the Aurum's background is visible, this should be as well.  That's at least as detailed and fine.  Countless decks out there have this level of detail.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

My rule of thumb is, if the detail shows up when printed to size from my home Laserjet printer then they will definitely come through when printed on a printing press. I was worried about losing the small details on the ORNATES. The small details like the borders, indice jewels and even the lighting variations turned out sharp and crisp. I'm not worried about the USPCC's printing quality anymore!

One thing I've learned over the years of designing small 3" x 3.5" bottle neckers is to always release production files at 400-450 dpi for small items. The extra resolution really sharpens the details (or small type), as long as the printing press has a high enough line screen.

The smaller PIPs on the insides will be without the diagonal "etch" lines. The etch lines should print very well on the larger corner PIPs. The Aces will also have even larger versions of the etch PIPs that should really let the details shine. Except for the AOS. I have something special in mind for that one!

Thanks, Randy