You are Here:
[Request] Info on these vintage decks?

Author (Read 1056 times)

[Request] Info on these vintage decks?
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »

branespload

• Newcomer
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired these two decks and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about their history, rarity and value in today's market.

The Aviators in question:

The Aristocrats in question:

It's still sealed and doesn't appear to be from the recent reprints given the dark blue seal.. It also has "727" on the bottom of the box and not a barcode or anything, so I'm thinking this might have belonged to a larger pack or something? Given these are linen finish and not what I imagine is the rarer "High Finish," and that they don't have a tax stamp and aren't made by Russell, I can't really gauge how much these might be worth. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [Request] Info on these vintage decks?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I couldn't tell you a lot about worth, but I can provide you with some details.

Aristocrat deck: This is indeed an "original" Aristocrat deck and not one of the recent reprints.  The fact that it has no tax stamp means it was made no earlier than 1965.  I think it was in the early '80s that USPC switched from "postage style" stamps with perforated edges to self-adhesive stickers.  This deck, then, was made roughly 25 to 45 years ago.  I think High Finish was more rare than Linen Finish back then, but if these are on the older side, even the linen finish would have made for a great deck.

The Aviators: The Ace of Spades shown is alien to me, but that only means this deck is older than I am!  :))  Just insure you have Aviator backs on these cards: Click here to see the Playing Card Wiki article on Aviators.  The tax stamp reading "1 DECK" was a later issue, and the deck has an AoS letter code of K.  Now, since the deck was first made in 1927 to commemorate Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight, factored in with the tax stamp (and the cool box showing a prop plane instead of a jet!), all lead me to believe that this deck was manufactured in 1948.  A later date would be impossible due to the presence of the tax stamp, which indicates pre-1965 manufacture.  The only other possibility for an earlier date would be 1928, but the tax stamp on this box wasn't in use before 1940.  So yes, this deck is about 64 years old, give or take a few months.

I couldn't estimate the rarity or value, but I can say that the Aristocrat deck is in what appears to be perfect condition.  There's no real damage to the deck at all, just some wear marks from being handled a little, and the cellophane is completely intact.  The Aviators are in a little rougher shape, but appear to be fairly intact.  The box is in decent shape, doesn't appear to have had excessive handling for a deck of this age and has the complete tax stamp intact on both the box back and the lid of the tuck box.  If the Ace of Spades is typical of the other cards in the deck in terms of wear and/or damage, they look really good.  The deck is worth more if you still have the original jokers, and possibly more still if you also have the ad cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/