Author (Read 4845 times)

Re: Surge Deck Design -- Looking for Feedback
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
As I said on UC....

Have you even lined up the deck to a standard deck of bikes?  No one playing poker or any game will be able to read the cards for two reasons.

1. The pip will become invisible once you convert to CMYK.
2. The number/pip combo is HUGE and way too far into the card. See below, the RED is where standard Bike's pip/number is located.

Think realistically, this deck is a mess right now.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Time to clear up things in the air: This deck is not associated with my second deck titled Surge. My deck is the long awaited sequel to my Galvanic deck. It follows the storyline as well as the electrical theme but in a darker way. Hence why the title is called Surge. Just because two decks use the same colors do not mean they are associated with each other. Personally the name Surge does not fit well with these designs..
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hey everyone.  Following up on Sean's comment...

I actually didn't realize that he was coming out with another deck titled Surge, otherwise  wouldn't have chosen the name.  Once I heard that I made up my mind that I was going to find a different name for this deck.  And, as he mentioned, there is no association between myself and Sean on his decks and mine.  I've just been trying to come up with a design that I like and that looks appealing, which has lead to some similarities to past decks. I'm a new designer and have appreciated all the feedback here (and on UC). 

Here is one question: USPCC said that there needs to be the wide white border (like on the king i had a couple versions ago) around the cards so that when they are cut they will look centered even if the cut isn't exact.  I agree that a thinner white border would look much better.  They said I can make the border as thin as I want, but the final product might not look that good.  Any suggestions here?  I added the fade based on some people's suggestions and that helped close the gap a little bit without making the solid black part any closer to the edge.

I'll work on making the pips smaller and closer to the corner and maybe moving away from the black pip with the green glow (though I really like that look personally).  Thanks,
Mark

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thank you Mark for changing the name. Its interesting to see all these deck designs pop up. To see how everyones mind works and what they try to strive for. It takes a very long time but man is it worth it. I truley hope for the best Mark. Yes these designs need a lot of work but I really look forward to seeing a finished project in the future.

Sean
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey everyone.  Following up on Sean's comment...

I actually didn't realize that he was coming out with another deck titled Surge, otherwise  wouldn't have chosen the name.  Once I heard that I made up my mind that I was going to find a different name for this deck.  And, as he mentioned, there is no association between myself and Sean on his decks and mine.  I've just been trying to come up with a design that I like and that looks appealing, which has lead to some similarities to past decks. I'm a new designer and have appreciated all the feedback here (and on UC). 

Here is one question: USPCC said that there needs to be the wide white border (like on the king i had a couple versions ago) around the cards so that when they are cut they will look centered even if the cut isn't exact.  I agree that a thinner white border would look much better.  They said I can make the border as thin as I want, but the final product might not look that good.  Any suggestions here?  I added the fade based on some people's suggestions and that helped close the gap a little bit without making the solid black part any closer to the edge.

I'll work on making the pips smaller and closer to the corner and maybe moving away from the black pip with the green glow (though I really like that look personally).  Thanks,
Mark

Talk to Paul Carpenter of Encarded - his USPC-made Tendril deck has sexy-slim borders on both sides.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/