Surge Deck Design -- Looking for Feedback

Author (Read 4847 times)

Surge Deck Design -- Looking for Feedback
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hey there,

I'm designing a new deck and I'd love some initial feedback.  Here is the Ace of Spades and 4 different back designs.  What do you think?  How would you suggest tweaking it?  Which of the 4 backs do you like the best?

I'm planning to name the deck "Surge".  Any other suggestions that come to mind from looking at it?

Thanks!

Mark

Re: Surge Deck Design -- Looking for Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
My favorite back is #2!

Also, where's the ace of spades, all I see is the ace of diamonds ;)
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I love the design, but I feel the backs cut off way too abruptly and that there needs to be more to fill that black void. Also, having the design borderless top-to-bottom but with a border left-to-right makes for terrible thumb fans and awkward vertical table spreads.

Even out the design more. Definitely keep this concept as well as the art style. It's very sexy. Excellent color scheme as well.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Thanks for the suggestion alex.  Here are a few variations.  What do you think?  I'm tried giving them a fuller look on the back so you won't just see black corners when you spread them in your hand.

loldudex2, I mistyped.  I meant to say diamond...I'm still working on the spades though I think that ace will be pretty awesome!

Mark

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
One more full back variation:

Mark

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

Eyeball

• Elite Member
Personally I liked the Ace without the corners that you added, and I like the first full back design a lot :D I like the neon green+black combination you are using for this deck, could make for some cool looking flourishes.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
I'm getting pretty excited about this deck the more it comes along.  Thanks so much for your feedback! 

Here is another version of the back with a stronger/bolder surge of color in the corner.

What are your thoughts about the Ace of Diamonds and the Five of Spades?  Any suggestions there?  I can't decide which pattern I like for the numbered cards (surge in corner or not).  Thanks!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think this deck would look awesome with thin, shadow borders like the Tendril deck!

I really like the design so far. The latest back design is my favorite so far an I like the face cards with the design in the corners.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »

ItsMagicITellYou~

• True Member
i think the new corners looks pretty nice! how about some borders?

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I think this deck would look awesome with thin, shadow borders like the Tendril deck!

I really like the design so far. The latest back design is my favorite so far an I like the face cards with the design in the corners.
I agree with Evan. These would look great with small borders, and I also like the last design best.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't know another way to say it, and I don't want to hurt your feeling, but just simply... No...

Everyone and their grandmother seems to want a deck today... Did you see the recent Steampunk deck?  The Ornate Deck?  Take a look at the two of them, and then look at what you're posting above and just stop...  I don't need to get into specifics... It's just really, really awful... It's really enough already... 

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
I don't know another way to say it, and I don't want to hurt your feeling, but just simply... No...

Everyone and their grandmother seems to want a deck today... Did you see the recent Steampunk deck?  The Ornate Deck?  Take a look at the two of them, and then look at what you're posting above and just stop...  I don't need to get into specifics... It's just really, really awful... It's really enough already...

Dude, the only way for a designer to learn and improve if you are more constructive and SPECIFIC in your criticisms. Just because you like the Ornate or Steampunk (I hope you are talking about Steampunk Heroes) decks doesn't mean ALL of us think so as well. Some like details, some like simplicity. Some like sci-fi design, some like skulls n bones. And this current design is no way close to the Ape sh*t design that you were kicking sand at (which I wholeheartedly agreed with  8) ) Everyone has to start somewhere.

I like the new back design posted and I prefer surge in corners numbered fronts. I personally do not like borders but I cannot say whether I will buy this deck since the gist of the deck will be in how you design your Jokers, court cards and AoS. If the design is strong in those cards and the theme makes sense, I am down for a couple.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@jmrock - Bro, I know what you're talking about.  I'm not a fan of this design, not any iterations of it, but I've been simply staying out of it.  There's no need to piss on their parade and call it rain.  Just ignore it and move on; it's easier for everyone.  Live and let live, etc.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:18 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Okay, I've done some more work on this deck.  I added white borders to the cards.  I've also got some potential ideas for the face cards.  Here are some king variations.  Any stand out?

I'm going to keep messing around with different ideas.  I like the deck so far and I'm hoping that your feedback will help me make it an awesome deck.  In the end if it just doesn't seem to be working, that is fine, but I figure I might as well give it my best effort first.  Thanks for your feedback!

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 05:19:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Okay, I've done some more work on this deck.  I added white borders to the cards.  I've also got some potential ideas for the face cards.  Here are some king variations.  Any stand out?

I'm going to keep messing around with different ideas.  I like the deck so far and I'm hoping that your feedback will help me make it an awesome deck.  In the end if it just doesn't seem to be working, that is fine, but I figure I might as well give it my best effort first.  Thanks for your feedback!

I don't think any of those four are really blending well with what you've done so far.  Perhaps you need to go a little more unconventionally and try capturing some of the imagery from the card back and the aces, creating a court that uses that imagery effectively.

BTW: there's another deck heading to market in the near-future with the same name.  The sequel to the Bicycle Galvanic deck will be the Bicycle Surge deck...I'm guessing it will be out in a year, give or take.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think #2 of the King of Diamonds is the best. It looks really awesome and unlike any other deck!

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
What do you think about this King?  I feel like this style fits the deck better and am pretty excited about it.  Thanks for your feedback!

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Of all the court designs so far, this is probably closest to the theme.

Recommendation: either lose the frame around the king or use it by inserting some of those swirly-gas effects in the background, perhaps in a different shade or color to set it apart from the king effectively.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Lose the frame around the king like Don said.

Also, look up a more fitting font for the indices. Add an inner-shadow to the pips to make them stand out from their outer-glow a bit more. Depth is everything.

The last court card you showed me is absolutely awesome. Already I like this deck more than the Galvanic. Keep us posted.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Lose the frame around the king like Don said.

Also, look up a more fitting font for the indices. Add an inner-shadow to the pips to make them stand out from their outer-glow a bit more. Depth is everything.

The last court card you showed me is absolutely awesome. Already I like this deck more than the Galvanic. Keep us posted.

What Alex mentioned about typefaces is CRITICAL.  A really nice deck with not-so-easily read indices means the deck won't be all that popular with people who actually use cards as opposed to locking them in a vault in order to wait for their value to appreciate.  An index should be read and understood in a fraction of a second, or it's too complicated in its design.

Consider something both simple and sans-serif.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

The king resembles BATMAN and magneto put together. hahahaha! Its not a bad thing, I was just pointing out the resemblance. But from the past court cards that you posted, this one looks much better and fits the theme and its something new (for me at least).

I agree with both Don and alex, lose the frame, it will make your courtcard stand out more and the design will look cleaner and well put together. 

ps. it also looks kinda like the tower of Sauron ^-^

<3 <3 it!

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Okay, I've added some touches to the border and changed up the symbols to a black symbol with a faint glow.  I also changed the Ace design.  Let me know what you think.  I'm thinking of redoing the back with something different and renaming the deck as well to something else.  We'll see...

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:18 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So I am a bit lost here. Are you associated with Sean Whelan in any way? :|
Forum Founder.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So I am a bit lost here. Are you associated with Sean Whelan in any way? :|

I don't think so. If he were, the design would be a bit more intricate. I believe it's from a different creator, but applies a similar theme.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

@alex I was wondering the same thing as well. But as Kpopfever said they are (most probably) not associated with each other, jut had a similar idea. Kinda like what happened to the Mystery Deck and the NOCs. ^-^

But anyway. I lvoe the simplicity of the Ace of Spades there. The indice is much better than the first one you showed up, although the pip under the indice is a bit "fat"(?) no too fond of it. Over all I think its looking like it pulling together nicely. :P
Oh here is one thing. Try thinner boarders. :P

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
As I said on UC....

Have you even lined up the deck to a standard deck of bikes?  No one playing poker or any game will be able to read the cards for two reasons.

1. The pip will become invisible once you convert to CMYK.
2. The number/pip combo is HUGE and way too far into the card. See below, the RED is where standard Bike's pip/number is located.

Think realistically, this deck is a mess right now.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Time to clear up things in the air: This deck is not associated with my second deck titled Surge. My deck is the long awaited sequel to my Galvanic deck. It follows the storyline as well as the electrical theme but in a darker way. Hence why the title is called Surge. Just because two decks use the same colors do not mean they are associated with each other. Personally the name Surge does not fit well with these designs..
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hey everyone.  Following up on Sean's comment...

I actually didn't realize that he was coming out with another deck titled Surge, otherwise  wouldn't have chosen the name.  Once I heard that I made up my mind that I was going to find a different name for this deck.  And, as he mentioned, there is no association between myself and Sean on his decks and mine.  I've just been trying to come up with a design that I like and that looks appealing, which has lead to some similarities to past decks. I'm a new designer and have appreciated all the feedback here (and on UC). 

Here is one question: USPCC said that there needs to be the wide white border (like on the king i had a couple versions ago) around the cards so that when they are cut they will look centered even if the cut isn't exact.  I agree that a thinner white border would look much better.  They said I can make the border as thin as I want, but the final product might not look that good.  Any suggestions here?  I added the fade based on some people's suggestions and that helped close the gap a little bit without making the solid black part any closer to the edge.

I'll work on making the pips smaller and closer to the corner and maybe moving away from the black pip with the green glow (though I really like that look personally).  Thanks,
Mark

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thank you Mark for changing the name. Its interesting to see all these deck designs pop up. To see how everyones mind works and what they try to strive for. It takes a very long time but man is it worth it. I truley hope for the best Mark. Yes these designs need a lot of work but I really look forward to seeing a finished project in the future.

Sean
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey everyone.  Following up on Sean's comment...

I actually didn't realize that he was coming out with another deck titled Surge, otherwise  wouldn't have chosen the name.  Once I heard that I made up my mind that I was going to find a different name for this deck.  And, as he mentioned, there is no association between myself and Sean on his decks and mine.  I've just been trying to come up with a design that I like and that looks appealing, which has lead to some similarities to past decks. I'm a new designer and have appreciated all the feedback here (and on UC). 

Here is one question: USPCC said that there needs to be the wide white border (like on the king i had a couple versions ago) around the cards so that when they are cut they will look centered even if the cut isn't exact.  I agree that a thinner white border would look much better.  They said I can make the border as thin as I want, but the final product might not look that good.  Any suggestions here?  I added the fade based on some people's suggestions and that helped close the gap a little bit without making the solid black part any closer to the edge.

I'll work on making the pips smaller and closer to the corner and maybe moving away from the black pip with the green glow (though I really like that look personally).  Thanks,
Mark

Talk to Paul Carpenter of Encarded - his USPC-made Tendril deck has sexy-slim borders on both sides.