You are Here:
Basic questions for a Cardistry video.

Author (Read 835 times)

Basic questions for a Cardistry video.
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »

Assassino13

• YouTube:
Hey guys,
So I'm in the process of making my first ever Cardistry video. Bought a shiny new camera (instead of using my phone), and I have an idea of what I want it to be. But first, I have two questions.

#1: How do you guys feel about slower, smoother Cardistry videos that almost have a story as opposed to fast and disjointed videos of cards whizz ing around?

#2: How much editing is "To much"?

Re: Basic questions for a Cardistry video.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I very much like alternating slow and fast. Also not only do cardistry, but some unnecessary shots. Like just showing the deck or something like that. I always like that :)

For the second thing. Only have like fade out and/or fade in per clip or something like that, put some nice music, try to have your cardistry matching the music. I love that. Cardistry is an art. Make the cards move, make them dance on the music. That's what we wanna see. Not much editing is needed. Just a good quality camera, maybe some beginning and ending text, but not much more. No flashes or epileptic attack effects :) That's just dumb

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
#1: How do you guys feel about slower, smoother Cardistry videos that almost have a story as opposed to fast and disjointed videos of cards whizz ing around?
It depends. Both styles can look great if done correctly. But I would say going for a more cinematic cardistry video is more difficult to pull off than editing to an electro beat and adding some flashes at the right beats.

#2: How much editing is "To much"?
Same answer I guess. A video that for most people looks "overedited" can still be a fantastic video for other people.
Just make sure that every effect you put in your video has a "reason". Dont put effects in your video just for the sake of having a funky effect in it. Add effects in your video because they go along with the music or because they add to the beauty of one of your cuts.

hope that helps

regards
Joey
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:23:20 AM by JOEYFX »

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For me, the ideal cardistry video would have a few elements to it, and not much more.

- A good, appropriate soundtrack to the pace of the effects you perform, but not one that would overtly distract from the performance; a track that stays in the background.

- A cardist who takes the trouble to dress up a little.  Tuxedos are optional, but maybe throw on a nice shirt, maybe a vest or a jacket, perhaps a tie.  Get a MANICURE (anyone performing with their hands should have one, it's NOT really optional, folks!) and fix your hair so you at least look neat if not stylish.  The outfit should NOT be flashy, since you want to show off your cardistry and not your fashion sense.

- A camera, and not a camera-phone or a point-n-shoot.  If you're going to look professional, you will need professional-grade tools.

- A VERY LIGHT touch in the editing room.  Whiz-bang special effects, if used at all, should be kept to the bare minimum and used to lend impact to the performance and not simply "look cool".  A continuous cut of the entire routine from one perspective shows your skill, and I love that, personally, but I know this is the post-MTV Internet generation and you want to punch it up a bit.  Still, make one take exactly as described, then do close-ups in slow-mo of some of the more intricate bits (that's slow-motion camera, not slow-motion performer at regular speed)!  Intercut them into the continuous shot at the appropriate points.  If you want to really point out the fact that the close-ups are separate from the main shot, use a different deck, or the same deck in a different color.  If you want to get goofier or flashier than that, perhaps do something like Jackie Chan does and put it on-screen during and in-between the credits at the end!

That's my rather opinionated two cents.  Take it for what it's worth to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/