You are Here:
Deck Design (another thread)

Author (Read 1770 times)

Deck Design (another thread)
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed over and over again, but I can't really find an answer to my question.

I have been working on a project for several weeks now. I'm planning on making a deck. I have absolutely no background on design, no knowledge about how to create a deck.

But here it is. I know my deck could have some potential. My sister (older than me) has a great artistic talent, and I have some good ideas. We've been working together, and we have been able to make a new totally custom deck. Only thing is that we aren't sure yet about the backs and the box, but we'll work on that. So what I have now are some drawings, that are finished, and that are the right size for a playing card. My question is, what do I have to do next? Do I have to scan these and put them on a blank playing card, and of course retouch them, too make it look nice, or do I have to draw make the design on my computer itself?

Re: Deck Design (another thread)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Honestly your going to have to make that choice yourself. This is going to be a huge learning experience for you. It'll take time to make everything the way you want but man will you have fun throughout the process. For some, they tend to draw a rough draft on paper, leave it aside and then recreate it in photoshop. Other draw it on paper, scan it in and retouch it. The other way which is how I created the Galvanics is basically do everything digitally. I can't draw for the life of me so doing everything that way was easier for me. We would love to see what you have so far this way we can give you some feedback on which direction to go with the back design and such.  I hoped this helped a little.

Sean Whelan
3D Artist
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I wont post anything till I'm happy about it myself. There is still alot of work to do, so want to show it when it is already a little showable... :)

But here's the concept. The one I'm working on now is a manga deck. My sister is pretty good at manga, but not to good. I'm gonna tell you why I say that. I really want to have a deck where you have the feeling that it's actually drawn on it. That's why I think that the scan technique is the best to do this, this way you have the best feeling of 'draw'. Once everything is complete, I'll show you guys, but for now on I really want to work it out first.

BTW: Thanks for the reply, It helped me alot.
I have another question. Do you guys have an image of a boxdesign? The one's that show the whole box, but just blank, so I know what mesures I have to have and how I will have to 'fill it up' with my design.

PS: After this deck, I'd like to make a stamp deck. I think it would be really cool. If you guys have some ideas for that one, shoot, I have some too. I think it's an interesting idea. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:44:05 PM by Simonart »

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Hmm well heres another option since you want a feeling of having the deck "drawn": why not use a tablet? Such as a Bamboo or Wacom? This way your actually drawing everything and at the same time photoshop is capturing everything you do.

As far as a blank template of a box design. Your going to have to contact uspcc for that if you really want to go through with it. As far as I know legally we can't hand out the templates.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Nice suggestion, but unfortunatly I don't really have the funds for it. In fact, I wanna make this deck totally free. Just to see how good a free deck can be. And I just want to have some fun with it. Maybe it will be good enough to sell, but I haven't really big expectations. Just build up some experience and see what comes out of it. I don't even have photoshop. Just to tell you this could be looking very amateuristic, but maybe that I will be able to put something together that is 'ok'. We'll see. Thanks for your advice! :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:06:36 PM by Simonart »

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Hey man the point of this is to have fun and to see how far your imagination can go. We all started somewhere. If I posted right now my first every back design I created like 6 years ago, every single person would point and laugh and say to themselves: "This person created the Galvanics???".

Just some word of advice. the creation of a design or a deck of cards does cost nothing essentially. Nothing from your pocket. However, it does take a lot of time to produce one. But if this is your interest, hobby, goal is life....what ever gets you out of bed in the morning, then by all means shoot for that goal. In the long run though if a deck you make is successful, unfortunately you will have to pay for some expenses. For the Galvanics, I'm paying close to $1000 out of my own pocket for the shipping. The Kickstarter money covered the cards and that was it. Is that a lot? Yeah. Do I mind? No. Would I rather pay $10,500 out of pocket or $1000. Not to mention people helped make a dream come true so personally I don't mind paying. It's not about the money, its about your goal.

I really hoped this helped. Any questions feel free to post. I'm sure people here will be more then willing to help as much as possible.

Sean Whelan
3D Artist

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I have another question. Do you guys have an image of a boxdesign? The one's that show the whole box, but just blank, so I know what mesures I have to have and how I will have to 'fill it up' with my design.

You can download card and box templates directly from USPC.  I've done it myself.  I forgot where it is on the website, but it's there.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/