You are Here:
Vintage Bicycle Playing Card Scorer

Author (Read 976 times)

Vintage Bicycle Playing Card Scorer
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
As previously stated, I found an incredible deal on a piece of Bicycle Playing Card advertising history that I've been searching for for a very long time... I initially thought this was a larger piece, but when I received it I then saw that it is actually the size of a standard playing card... I immediately had it framed and it is one of the Crown Jewels of my collection (not gloating  8)... This was handed out at hardware stores, drug stores, etc... with the store name stamped on the back in the early 1900s and was used to score card games... I fell in love with it over a year ago and was unable to secure a clean one at a reasonable price until the other day...  Please enjoy this piece of Playing Card History...

Re: Vintage Bicycle Playing Card Scorer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
This card is a great piece - it is actually a scorer and the wheels were turned to keep track of score and games in Whist.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Here's another example of something I paid handsomely for, however, recently I have seen them going for less… I still see people asking around $100 in mint condition…  Regardless, I love this piece… Floating above a black suede mat, the colors just pop... There's not a soul who enters my office who doesn't inquire about the card… I set the score to my birth year for kicks…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bicycle-Playing-cards-Russell-Morgan-Whist-marker-scorer-/330958408571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0ea88b7b
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:07:25 PM by jmrock »

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
That is a really cool piece. What is a decent/fair price range on something like this?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here's another example of something I paid handsomely for, but six to eight weeks ago, eBay was flooded and so I picked up two additional for less than half what I paid previously…  But I love this piece… Floating above a black suede mat, the colors just pop... There's not a soul who enters my office who doesn't inquire about the card… I set the score to my birth year for kicks...

Son of a gun - I'm six years OLDER than you?  I would never have guessed!  You sound wiser than your years.

I really like those kind of counters - which makes me wonder why on earth USPC doesn't continue making things like them.  Even a simple smartphone app to serve the purpose would be nice, though the physical object is much more interesting.  Closest thing to these out there now are "life counters" used in custom card games like Magic: the Gathering, Pokemon, etc.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
That is a really cool piece. What is a decent/fair price range on something like this?

We see them from $35-60 from time to time.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club