Worth another try?

Author (Read 1026 times)

Worth another try?
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Yup its time to reopen some old wounds. Im sure these are fresh in your guyses memories. Anyways, when the cards were released on kickstarter they had a great first day at over 600$, then a couple days later arguing erupted and they flatlined. Im wondering if you guys think its worth the shot. I was pretty devestated when it all happend.

The backs I personally think are pretty perfect, especially the silver backs. In fact I love the look of all these cards. What I think most peoples worries on these forums were that they were:
1. cheap cards
2. didnt care about monkies.
3. a few of you dont like the art and I cant change that.
4. too expensive

What were your worries about the cards? Do you think its worth a relaunch, we have other decks in the works, but somehow I still have hope for this one.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:03:32 PM by ReaganM »

Re: Worth another try?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
If you were to relaunched, I think a couple of things should be change. First of all, the Joker should say "Joker" and not "Jocker". Also it would be nice for you to show other court cards rather than launch a project with a project only half planned-out. Decks that succeeded in the past had a strong base of artwork already.
If you are printing through Brahma, a company far from being as reputable as USPCC, a low goal, some prices below 7$ per deck, and discounts for those who buy in big quantity and those who buy both the gold and the silver versions. Having a nice variety of pledges to pick from would be preferable.
Finally, if you're planning on staying true to your artwork and not making any changes, you should have as low of a goal as physically possible.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
If you were to relaunched, I think a couple of things should be change. First of all, the Joker should say "Joker" and not "Jocker". Also it would be nice for you to show other court cards rather than launch a project with a project only half planned-out. Decks that succeeded in the past had a strong base of artwork already.
If you are printing through Brahma, a company far from being as reputable as USPCC, a low goal, some prices below 7$ per deck, and discounts for those who buy in big quantity and those who buy both the gold and the silver versions. Having a nice variety of pledges to pick from would be preferable.
Finally, if you're planning on staying true to your artwork and not making any changes, you should have as low of a goal as physically possible.
Sorry about the misspelling it was actually fixed by the time it reached the kickstarter phase, I didnt notice I had used such an old picture. Anyways I wouldnt mind changing the artwork a little bit.... again. I was planning to have the single deck pledge be a LOT lower now than it was before.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
What you could do is have the Kickstarter page as a draft, visible to only those with the link, and update it regularly and get feedback from us so you can have a project that pleases you as well as the majority of us. That'll pretty much guarantee a success. These forums alone are enough to back a deck on kickstarter.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmm all good ideas. That mentioned I might have a second color of steampunk as another pledge tier for the deck. The ultra ape deck will be as open to suggestions as it always has been. I will defininantly use the draft idea, it will help the second launch be a success.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:30:19 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
I pledged for this deck on the first kickstarter. I'm not sure if your Steampunk tier will be as appealing with the animated Mechanic deck coming out. Show us more card designs ( AoS, other suites ). Tell us what stock and finish you plan on using and give us a look at your Tuck box design. When your fully finished deck is complete, show us the out come. Then I would go for the relaunch.Good luck!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »

HiddenMirrors

• www.HiddenMirrors.com
Hey Man, I just wanted to say, I feel for you. A Kickstater Project is an Emotional Roller-coaster when you have a project, but the best thing is that you learn from your mistakes, be honest with yourself and keep trying.

I would like to See Ultra Ape with a goal closer to $4k, $5k.

Then focus on Push Goals, if you get to $8k then you print with USPCC or something, that's what The Grind did and I think it worked for them.

Also, Post on Forums, Related to Monkeys, Comics, Board Games, anything you think is even remotely related to your deck. Besides that, try to make real friends, one at a time on youtube, facebook and twitter.

Then, if you really want to just get the cards made, make your Pledge Bracktes as Low as Possible, but offer better  deals for people that spend more money. Your going to need those 3 or 4 guys that put up $1k, so make them a good deal. Think of other ways to make the Art a Reward, Your Joker is my favorite card BTW, just my 2 cents. Also, Study every thing about the Kickstarter Projects that made it. See what mistakes they made and what right moves they had in common. Half of it is the art, but the other Half is Business. Think of other things you can get made that go with the cards, but keep it related to the art on the cards.

Last, I will say, I am personally not that into Apes, which you mentioned might be a problem, But, if you like them, others will too. Just take your time, be flexable and work with the people. Your already on the right path, best of luck, E-mail us anytime, even if you just want to chat. HiddenMirrorsMagic@gmail.com You can do it  :) Don't let it get to you.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

I agree with what HM said about posting on forums related to Monkeys, Comics and board games and other stuff related to your deck. That way you have a much broader audience consumer to advertize too.

Learn from past expeiences with KS. Although I am really sorry to say this reagan... I'm still afraid of APES ^-^ but I hopw you get funded though. :P