You are Here:
The Dogma Deck [Design]

Author (Read 2136 times)

The Dogma Deck [Design]
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:30 AM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
Yo,

I thought I'd introduce myself by sharing a design I've been collaborating on with a friend of mine.

http://i.imgur.com/ZBpMk.png

Here's a description of the deck:

The Dogma Deck was designed to evoke quality, elegance, and style with an attractive and ultra-smooth design inspired by the BEE Stingers

Due to their simplicity, the Dogma Deck displays a modern, yet classic look that will catch the eyes of your spectators and draw them in

I'm also interested in collaborating with others on the design at hand, and also incorporating additional ideas and features within the deck. PM if you're interested.

Feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:14:40 AM by DanteVex »

Re: The Dogma Deck [Design]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Welcome to the Discourse .. may i ask what does dogma mean?

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
Welcome to the Discourse .. may i ask what does dogma mean?

Thanks. As for "Dogma", in this case, it was a temporary name we had given the deck, but we decided to stick with the name.

Edit: bold
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:56:04 PM by DanteVex »

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse!

The Dogma deck is looking ok so far.
One thing is that it looks very similar to the LTD deck from Ellusionist.
Another thing is that it is very hard to look at and gives me a headache. It seems like it's an illusion.

Keep working on it!

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
Welcome to the Discourse!

The Dogma deck is looking ok so far.
One thing is that it looks very similar to the LTD deck from Ellusionist.
Another thing is that it is very hard to look at and gives me a headache. It seems like it's an illusion.

Keep working on it!

Definitely.
We were testing and experimenting with different colors regarding the diamonds, but honestly, the red diamonds are inspired by the LTD deck from Ellusionist. Aside from that, the overall concept and design of the deck was just the collaboration between us.
I think that's a unique feature of the design. It has a surreal feeling - for a lack of a better word - regarding the illusion aspect.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hi DanteVex,

Before anything else, Welcome to the Discourse. It would be nice if you posted an Intro at the Intro board so we can all formally greet and welcome you and also so other members will know you touched down here ^-^

As for the Dogma Deck.
not digging the name so much but I'm sure it'll grow on us.
Then there is the contrast of colors. You are using direct complimentary there and its really making the colors gfloat and its hard for the eyes to focus on so maybe you can go a shade or tone in a different direction that sticking to that hue of red. I dont think you aim to give your customers and spectators a headache now do you? ^-^
The card back kinda reminds me of snake skin (i love snakes)
There is potential in it.
But correct me if I am wrong it also kinda gives a feel of Harlequin there, I can see the LTD inspiration, but yeah I think just go a shade or tone darker on the red and it will be less "dizzying"

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:20:47 AM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer

Hi DanteVex,

Before anything else, Welcome to the Discourse. It would be nice if you posted an Intro at the Intro board so we can all formally greet and welcome you and also so other members will know you touched down here ^-^

As for the Dogma Deck.
not digging the name so much but I'm sure it'll grow on us.
Then there is the contrast of colors. You are using direct complimentary there and its really making the colors gfloat and its hard for the eyes to focus on so maybe you can go a shade or tone in a different direction that sticking to that hue of red. I dont think you aim to give your customers and spectators a headache now do you? ^-^
The card back kinda reminds me of snake skin (i love snakes)
There is potential in it.
But correct me if I am wrong it also kinda gives a feel of Harlequin there, I can see the LTD inspiration, but yeah I think just go a shade or tone darker on the red and it will be less "dizzying"

xoxo
Lara

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.
Sure, the name could be changed, and it's something we're thinking about.
Actually, the inspiration (besides the BEE Stingers) was giving the cards a snake-skin appearance. It's good to see that you noticed.
I heard of the Harlequin deck after we had designed the Dogma Deck. We actually have posts on different threads before the Harlequin deck was teased, showing the Dogma Deck.
Here

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Hi Dante,

I have a few suggestions strictly from a Production point-of-view. I noticed there are quite a few strange artifacts found mostly in the grey Diamond borders. They look like white spots or leftovers from some background image. I would clean those up if I were you, they look like accidents. I also noticed the screenshot of the court cards on your Theory 11 forum thread. If you're creating these in RGB the colors will change in value when the USPCC converts them to CMYK. The Black in every card will turn into an overly-saturated Rich Black mess!!

I noticed the Theory 11 thread was created back in February. That brings up two more questions. Some of the suggestions bring up similar criticisms made here (colors, name). Have you tried addressing the concerns? And the second question. It's been a full 3 months, are the other card designs finished?

thanks, Randy

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

What randy said =^-^=

So you are going with some form of snake-y design?
If you are Maybe putting some python patterns with suits on the court cards would really bring the theme, but I dunno how to make that work though hahaha! Just throwing some ideas :P

Yeah and like what Randy said, make sure you render it in CMYK

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hello and welcome to the forums! I like the idea behind the design but I find the colors too opposing and a bit bright. Good luck though!

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Welcome to the Discourse Dante! - As for the deck, Evan is right in both aspect. The deck looks pretty similar to the LTD and it goes gives users that eyesore. However, I can also see that this deck has some potential and I can't wait to see how you decide to pull it off. P.S. - The deck reminds me of a watermelon. ; )
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
Thanks for the feedback and your opinion on the design. I'll keep what you have in mind. Yeah, we're were experimenting with different colors and the additional cards, but decided to stick with the concept that was shown.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:30:20 AM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
My friend has decided to launch the page, due to his busy schedule.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1159664335/the-dogma-deck-aw-and-dv-0

Of course, this does still mean I'll take in feedback and constructive criticism - including touching-up and fixing the design of the custom deck.

The page will be updated with additional news, and the extra funds will go towards added "Rewards", as well as shipping.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Good luck with the launch. I think it'll be hard for me to back a deck without knowing more about it, but time will tell. Good luck!

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For a deck to succeed, it has to be elegant, yes, but often it has to offer people something they already aren't able to find.  Something that's original.

Inspired by snake skin?  Make the back look more like snakeskin.

Making it look so much like the LTD deck makes people think it's not very original.

Take Randy's advice regarding the technicals of the deck design process.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
For a deck to succeed, it has to be elegant, yes, but often it has to offer people something they already aren't able to find.  Something that's original.

Making it look so much like the LTD deck makes people think it's not very original.

I'm taking this as a "learning experience". Whatever the outcome may be, I'm taking in what the reaction from the community is and see how I can improve the design (or crate an entirely new design). Than again, I'm not the exact designer who designed the cards. This was a collaboration remember? Why I may have a "say in things", doesn't mean it'll happen. We had conflicting views on the custom design.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I'm taking this as a "learning experience". Whatever the outcome may be, I'm taking in what the reaction from the community is and see how I can improve the design (or crate an entirely new design). Than again, I'm not the exact designer who designed the cards. This was a collaboration remember? Why I may have a "say in things", doesn't mean it'll happen. We had conflicting views on the custom design.

I noticed you shut down your KS project.  You were starting to get a little steam going there.  I just don't know if that would have been enough to carry you to your goal, though.

When you return (and I hope that you will) to Kickstarter, have a design that's as close to completed as is possible.  Backs, courts, Ace of Spades, jokers, even the two extra cards that are usually either ad cards or gaff cards.  You'll have room to tweak the design if you wish based on the comments of your investors, but you'll also not waste a great deal of time in the post-KS phase finishing your designs.  That was one of the bigger delays suffered by the Actuators deck when it completed the fundraising stage.  The deck was noticeably late getting to print because of that.  Also, it's a helluva lot easier to sell a nearly-finished design, since you can show it off in all it's computer-rendered glory.

And when it comes to selling it, you really have to sell it.  Come to this forum, go to United Cardists, go anywhere that you think someone would be interested in cards - and maybe even a few that you didn't think would be, because you never know.  Post, post, post.  Promote, promote, promote.  It will seem tiring and endless - but it does end, and the more you do, the better your shot at a successful end.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »

DanteVex

• Newcomer
I appreciate the advice and the feedback, as well. I agree with your points, designing a deck that appeals to our audience but also keeping creativity in mind is key. Promoting the deck - and getting it known - was our downfall, but then again, we didn't have as much as we thought we did to work with. Although, it was a learning experience despite how long it lasted. Definitely saw how supported the community was, what work and didn't work with the design, and what we could/should add to the design to take it to the next level. Thank you.

Appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:07:17 AM by DanteVex »

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I'm happy we have been able to help you...

Oh, I post nothing in this topic. Sorry... :D