New Deck - American Flag

Author (Read 3227 times)

New Deck - American Flag
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:

Hi there,

I'm thinking of creating a deck of cards that when all the card faces are put together, would form a mural of a US Flag.  Do you think there would be interest in something like this?  The backs of the cards would be black with a modern red/white/blue line design.  Any potential for something like this?  Thanks for your feedback!

Mark

Re: New Deck - American Flag
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Certainly not in an International market.  The cards would also essentially be very obviously marked so you wouldn't be able to use them for games.  Honestly, I can't see you making any money on it.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Sorry if I didn't explain it well.  The backs of the cards would all be the same, so the cards would be playing for games.  The faces would all be different, but that is normal for any deck of cards.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I prefer the faces form a Hello Kitty  :karrit:

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I honestly don't see a deck like that going anywhere. Especially since the Americana is already in existence. Just sounds like you are trying to recreate a deck that just came out but add a little extra that people in general won't use. just my humble opinion.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Despite what others think, I believe this would be a great idea... if you manage to make faces that look like an american flag...

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It's not going to sell well. Honestly, majority of the active members on this forum aren't even American. Further, this theme has been done already (.......I hate to bring his name up, but it's merz). Of course, he didn't do a great job at it, as we all know. Nevertheless, it's been used. Unless you've got an AWESOME design, something innovative, then it probably won't appeal to many.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I agree SX. With the likes of Aether and Circle City out there it is going to be hard to sell, unless you are Encarded lol. The innovation of the decks coming out is off the hook. The game is changing and is changing for the better. I am not sure why companies are bothering putting out decks that are half-assed and not fully custom.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Thanks for the input.  Here are some sample images.  It probably helps to see it to get a feel for it:

2 of Spades

Back of all cards in deck

This will be the mural that the number cards (up to 10) create when put together.

King of Clubs

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
ok even as a canadian I think that looks cool. I wouldn`t buy, just because I`m not american. But the faces would be seen from the edges. This sounds similar to the Dragon Fanning Deck.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
The images definitely do help portray the concept. But still, as an American (military at that), I still am not a fan. The deck would basically be rendered useless except for show and tell. The color differences would show on the edges on the cards and I am starting to get burnt out on black decks. Decent idea, but as of now, it needs a lot of work to be practical.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
^Second that.

Some works needs to be done. I don't really like the contrast the black background is making with everything else. It doesn't let the content stand out much. I'm not sure what to say of the back... Why the band down the middle?

Are you planning to print this with USPCC? And Bicycle branded?

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
I was just planning on using a printer for a fully customized deck rather than a brand name.  What would you recommend?

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
At this point I don't think you should go for a big run, seeing not many people are interested in the deck. But it could change if would tweak the designs according to some of the advices.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Maybe a small print of 2000 decks or so will be ok. But its not a deck that interests me.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I wouldn't even got for 2000. Maybe look for some smaller company that could print 1000 for you, just to test the water.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I would say you should try about 1000 or maybe even 500 prints. You could try printing through Rajas:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1821.0

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I'm moving this to Design & Development.

Also, keep in mind USPCC outsources small prints to another company, whose stock and finish are actually not terrible.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Cool idea! But not that practical. I feel your target audience is far too small honestly. The deck still needs some work as well. It looks like you've got some good ideas though. I would just keep playing around with them and getting feedback.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hello being printer, I have seen many people going for printing playing cards immediately after they have managed to collect the required funds.
For some of them, the funds were generated from taking out loans from banks, friends etc.
On worst cases, few of them have failed to recover the money invested, as they had no money left to market the product they have created.

When doing playing cards business via retail or wholesale its very important to divide your funds roughly into 3 categories ->
1. Printing Cost
2. Marketing(sending out samples,asking for reviews, digital posters, videos,etc)
3. Sundry costs

This seems to be very obvious , but I have found many people overlooking this important funds division.

You can compare this to buying a DSLR.
Whether you want to spend all the money on buying best DSLR camera or you want to divide your funds that could get you decent DSLR, more lenses,extra batteries, tripod, camera protection bag etc.

This might be little off topic, but couldnt stop me from sharing this experience.

Best,
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the input.  Here are some sample images.  It probably helps to see it to get a feel for it:

The images are nice, but they won't make a practical deck.  You'd have better luck creating some kind of four-way fanning deck - the different fans could be the American Flag, a bald eagle, and any two other genuinely patriotic images you could think of.  But even then, most non-Americans wouldn't buy it, and any American who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool patriot (or doesn't perform for dyed-in-the-wool patriots) would probably not be interested.  Your market would be limited to mostly American patriotic flourishers - in other words, a small niche of a small niche.

If you wanted to continue with the patriotic "big flag" idea, here are some suggestions:

Perhaps a sky-blue background with white borders on the cards would work better.  Unless you want this to be a novelty deck and nothing more, you need to have some kind of border on the front or the cards will be distinguishable from the edge of the deck stack.  The edges need to be the same.  And yes, the market is pretty much over most black decks these days - the only ones that are selling are ones with white borders, and even those aren't common.  A border may ruin the perfect flag concept, but it would make these into real playing cards and not just rectangular puzzle pieces.

You need a two-way deck back, something that won't allow a person to flip a few cards around in the deck and immediately identify them face-down because of a one-way back pattern.  One possible suggestion suited to the theme: four American flags, with the blue field in the outer corners of the card back and a white border around the square four-flag pattern.

There are many US/patriotic/flag themed decks already - most of them suck, and the ones that don't are simply not very attractive, interesting or well-made.  You'd need to do some stellar artwork and design to make yours stand out enough to make people want to buy it.  Merz67 (my least favorite deck designer) created a series of six red, white and blue decks, and USPC has a US Flag deck of their own - a flag-pattern back with some patriotic images on the front, all done at the quality level of Chinese-made Aviators (even Streamlines are better); not distinctive at all and not good for card games played by adults.

Worry about all of that first before you even consider a printer.  Your idea isn't impossible, and done right could be a game-changing success, but you have an uphill climb ahead of you.  You need to be creative and artistic while at the same time not making the deck impractical, kitschy or chintzy.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like the back of the cards, but it's one way deck. It's wouldn't look great when mixed and fanned.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

5toclose

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
I ended up getting a prototype made for this deck of cards and got it printed up.  It looks great.  Check it out: http://kck.st/KKif8k

Mark

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I ended up getting a prototype made for this deck of cards and got it printed up.  It looks great.  Check it out: http://kck.st/KKif8k

Mark
Congrats on starting a kickstarter project! I really like the look, but don't understand what the back looks like nor what the extra Js, Qs and Ks are.

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Mark
Congrats on starting a kickstarter project! I really like the look, but don't understand what the back looks like nor what the extra Js, Qs and Ks are.

The jacks, queens and kings aren't extras.  The flag image is made up of the cards Ace through ten.

It will be an attractive art deck - do a spectacular job designing the tuck box and you could sway some collectors into investing.

It's less practical for magic or flourishing, but not every deck needs to be made to please a magician or a flourisher!

I don't know what it would cost you, but consider print advertising in some of the more right-wing magazines or newspapers, and/or buy ads on conservative websites.  There are people who would love to have this deck out there.  But you need to reach them to make this successful.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/