You are Here:
Some questions about Kickstarter

Author (Read 977 times)

Some questions about Kickstarter
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
I'm sorry if I am missing some obvious thread about Kickstarter, but I had a search but it's a word that's used a lot and not in a way that helps answer some questions I have.

I'm completely new to this whole Kickstarter thing (as a buyer, not a creator) and I love the look of some of the decks that people are producing there but I have no idea what's going on about buying it.

Am I charged payment immediately when I click 'Confirm' in Amazon Payments? For example, I want to buy the Tendril deck, and the pledge has another 12 days to go. Will my account be debited in 12 days when the deadline ends, or now when I click 'confirm'? Or am I missing the whole point completely and really my 'pledge' is a promise that when the item is made, packaged and ready to ship, then I will be charged?

If it is immediate when I click 'confirm', and I pledge for an item that doesn't reach the required funding do I get money back?

And what about items whose funding has been successful? If I want the Vortex deck, do I still use Kickstarter? Or do I look for resellers?

It's just, Kickstarter is being talked about so frequently and I'm sure it's simple to understand, but just now I feel like I don't know what's going on with it!

Thanks for your help.
Oh, Lawd!

Re: Some questions about Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I'm sorry if I am missing some obvious thread about Kickstarter, but I had a search but it's a word that's used a lot and not in a way that helps answer some questions I have.

I'm completely new to this whole Kickstarter thing (as a buyer, not a creator) and I love the look of some of the decks that people are producing there but I have no idea what's going on about buying it.

Am I charged payment immediately when I click 'Confirm' in Amazon Payments? For example, I want to buy the Tendril deck, and the pledge has another 12 days to go. Will my account be debited in 12 days when the deadline ends, or now when I click 'confirm'? Or am I missing the whole point completely and really my 'pledge' is a promise that when the item is made, packaged and ready to ship, then I will be charged?

If it is immediate when I click 'confirm', and I pledge for an item that doesn't reach the required funding do I get money back?

You are charged only when the deadline ends, and the pledge amount has reached its goal. Otherwise you will not be charged.

And what about items whose funding has been successful? If I want the Vortex deck, do I still use Kickstarter? Or do I look for resellers?

From my understanding, the Vortex deck is 100% sold out. The only way you will be able to purchase the deck when it is printed is through a reseller, either a member here on the discourse that is willing to sell one or from ebay.

Hope that answers your questions

- Curt

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
You are charged only when the deadline ends, and the pledge amount has reached its goal. Otherwise you will not be charged.
I see, thanks! It seems I'll need to plan the holes that I burn in my wallet more effectively if I'm going to be pledging for things with deadlines some time away!

Also, about my last question - it's just that some of the pledges still have availability (e.g. 18 of 220 remaining) so if I chose that without knowing that the deck had sold out what would happen?
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't know what Kickstarter project in particular you are talking about but once the project has ended there should not be any options to pledge it. If the project is still running and accepting pledges, then it is safe to assume that you will get your pledge prize when the project has successfully ended its pledge process and moves onto the production stage. In the case of pledging for a deck of cards, it is up to the creator of the deck to manage how many decks are accounted for by people pledging and to make sure they have enough to fulfill the orders made.

Saying that, there was this one deck, I can't fully remember what it was called, that limited the first "X" amount of pledges to having decks when they were made, the rest of the pledges were considered donations. This is not the norm however and all of the other playing card kickstarters do not include this stipulation, but make sure you read the fine print before making any pledges.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Saying that, there was this one deck, I can't fully remember what it was called, that limited the first "X" amount of pledges to having decks when they were made, the rest of the pledges were considered donations. This is not the norm however and all of the other playing card kickstarters do not include this stipulation, but make sure you read the fine print before making any pledges.

That was the Typestash deck.  What they did was against terms of service, they never got called out on it though. Kickstarter wanted their money.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

That was the Typestash deck.  What they did was against terms of service, they never got called out on it though. Kickstarter wanted their money.

KS TOS is pretty vague in general. They say no contests or raffles yet I see people hold them all the time. Their only guarantee for the buyer that the seller will follow through is that the seller can be threatened with legal action if they don't, which we both know is very unlikely since you probably won't want to drop $10,000 in legal fees to get your $50 pledge refunded.

Moral: Pledge based on the bandwagon. Don't go around discovering new projects that get no new backers. I've seen plenty of super sketchy wording in projects with small goals.

However, when it comes to people like myself, Paul, Russell, Adam and Lance you can be sure that we'll follow through on the pledges. :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:

From my understanding, the Vortex deck is 100% sold out. The only way you will be able to purchase the deck when it is printed is through a reseller, either a member here on the discourse that is willing to sell one or from ebay.

Hope that answers your questions

- Curt

I bought 20 Vortexes! so i will be selling about 6- 10 of them, once I receive them, you will find a SALES thread up!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I wonder what the backers of the typestache deck will do about it when they realize what they've gotten themselves into!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:43:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I wonder what the backers of the typestache deck will do about it when they realize what they've gotten themselves into!

They exceeded their goal by just barely over 100%.  There's a chance they'll simply give the few extra people decks out of their own reserve just to shut them up.  Remember, the deck was only made as an advertisement for an iPhone app.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/