You are Here:
Interesting Finishes on Our Favorites...

Author (Read 3484 times)

Re: Interesting Finishes on Our Favorites...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, I see where you're coming from on this.  For you, there a certain element of the thrill of the hunt!  It's the same thrill collectors of anything vintage get when they make great finds and get good deals.  I can dig that entirely.  There's history not just of the manufacture, but of the ownership, uniqueness in that fewer examples exist...and naturally, the quality of what was made.

I could see one defining the period before and including the 1950s as historically significant, and having visually beautiful cards that couldn't perform very well but were dead-on gorgeous.  Going from there into the 1960s, you have the introduction of quality innovations - now you have great looking cards that perform well; a true golden age of the playing card.  After that, heading into the mid-to-late 1980s, companies in general started to forget what quality was and churn out crap, figuring people would buy it anyway as they have all along.  This was also a turbulent period for USPC - it changed hands a number of times, if I remember the company history time line.  Card quality suffered - it was a dark age.  We're now in the midst of a period of upheaval in the market, with new technology in the form of CGI and CAD, the advent of Magic Finish and the custom deck - call it a Renaissance, if you will.  Perfect?  Nah.  Not even close.  But better than it has been since any time after the Golden Age.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Interesting Finishes on Our Favorites...
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 01:35:24 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
We're now in the midst of a period of upheaval in the market, with new technology in the form of CGI and CAD, the advent of Magic Finish and the custom deck - call it a Renaissance, if you will.
hahaha... I will, actually I did. I'd said this many times on my blog before people started talking about Magic Finish. I practice card sleights hours a day and I well know the differences since 10 months ago.
_
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:36:09 AM by digipunk »