Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards

Author (Read 31720 times)

Re: Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thoughts? Would love as much feedback possible to help me create the court cards! : D

You really love those robots without depth perception - only one eye!  ;)

This is looking great, really.  Keeping some elements in shadow lends a certain mystery to the character.

I'd go for a much better typeface for the indices, though, something closer to your theme.  Don't go playing-card basic on us - look for something more cool and - I have to say it - galvanic!

I suggest you downgrade the center and upgrade the heads - most people focus on the faces when looking at a face card.  Make them the visual focus instead of the big reactor-like bellies.  Perhaps even tweak them to make them a bit more visually interesting in the face department - the snub-nose, one-eye thing isn't helping me.  Perhaps a slight turn of the head, like the basic King of Hearts has - a dead-on angle can be boring.  Most playing cards are looking off to the side rather than staring straight at you.  A slightly larger head would also help in this department - that body is huge compared to that head.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:43:24 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Can't wait to see these back on Kickstarter hopefully you guys will be successful this time :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:25 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks! and btw its only me doing it : P

A thought just hit me - in most "double-headed" court designs, the two heads share the same center.  Why not make one "reactor core" in the center and design the two heads around that?  It's more consistent with Rouen playing card design, yet done in a totally unique and fresh way.  Unless it's your design intent, don't be afraid of making your court card images larger - your king takes up a fraction of the space a traditional king would.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:22 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

The final design for the court cards are up on the facebook wall. This is how all the court cards will be for this deck : P please keep in mind facebook changed the hue as well as the saturation. Will not be that dark during print

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Thoughts? Would love as much feedback possible to help me create the court cards! : D

You really love those robots without depth perception - only one eye!  ;)
Depth perception is overrated. ;)
Without it, the brain adapts to use perspective and other factors to make up for it - I'd know, I'm in this case myself. In theory, a robot could do it even more effectively because he/it could analyze those factors much more precisely and possibly faster. ::)

My favorite is the one with the darker red and the slightly angled head. There's no excuse to use raw RGB red anymore, and the angled head just makes the details stand out more.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

For anyone who would like a clean jpeg to see the full detail of the card, feel free to skype me: limpbiz2789.

I know uploading the images online changes the color and saturation.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 01:35:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The final design for the court cards are up on the facebook wall. This is how all the court cards will be for this deck : P please keep in mind facebook changed the hue as well as the saturation. Will not be that dark during print

I like what you did with it.  You didn't take all of my suggestions, but you took a few - and nobody died and named me the expert on playing card design, so make what you want!  :))

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:51 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Don't worry Sabacc I took everything into consideration but found out some aspects didn't work with the design.  Thanks a lot though

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don't worry Sabacc I took everything into consideration but found out some aspects didn't work with the design.  Thanks a lot though

I don't mind at all - it's good for an artist to stick to his guns when someone gives them a suggestion that doesn't work.  I'm glad you found some of my input useful - it makes me feel like I had a tiny hand in the design.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

That is why I started this thread. To show the work in progress and to get feedback so the designs can be up to par for those wanting to purchase the deck

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 02:49:29 AM »

Brandon.B

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
A Galvanic Eco Clip? That would be really cool. You should look into that!

We'll see about it, but don't tie us down on that.  ;)

Part of the reason why the first Kickstarter failed was because it wasn't backed up by any marketing. If there's no marketing, there's no people to fund it, and if there's no people to fund it, it will fail. Simple as that.

But I'm sure this run will be much better. I wish you the best of luck, Sean.  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:54:58 AM by Brandon.B »

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Part of the reason why the first Kickstarter failed was because it wasn't backed up by any marketing. If there's no marketing, there's no people to fund it, and if there's no people to fund it, it will fail. Simple as that.

I'll grant that the lack of marketing may have been a factor, but there were other issues that needed squaring away as well.  He was offering a "barely customized" deck - the back, jokers and Ace of Spades only - in a market that's seeking more customization, and he was offering his Kickstarter project at a time when a handful of others were also being offered.  You can market the hell out of an idea, but if the idea lacks polish and there's adequate competition, it can still fail.

The fact that he's on this board, talking up the deck as he makes design improvements, shows that he's interested in doing a bit of marketing.  He's marketing with every post he makes here!  For Sean's sake, I hope this isn't the only board he logs into to discuss the ideas for his "Galvanic version 2".  Getting onto the card boards (I just realized how funny that phrase sounds!) and getting the word out before the project's even being re-offered is a great start in the promotion department.

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »

Brandon.B

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:

I'll grant that the lack of marketing may have been a factor, but there were other issues that needed squaring away as well.  He was offering a "barely customized" deck - the back, jokers and Ace of Spades only - in a market that's seeking more customization, and he was offering his Kickstarter project at a time when a handful of others were also being offered.  You can market the hell out of an idea, but if the idea lacks polish and there's adequate competition, it can still fail.

The fact that he's on this board, talking up the deck as he makes design improvements, shows that he's interested in doing a bit of marketing.  He's marketing with every post he makes here!  For Sean's sake, I hope this isn't the only board he logs into to discuss the ideas for his "Galvanic version 2".  Getting onto the card boards (I just realized how funny that phrase sounds!) and getting the word out before the project's even being re-offered is a great start in the promotion department.

He's doing a very good job, participating in forums and doing public relations. Customizing the deck is all part of product decisions; what the deck should or should not include. People are going to see more variety and contrast in Sean's deck, which is what prospects really like. He's also diving into about 3 different markets; decks, art, and magic/flourishing (Most are mixed); he has it pretty well laid out.

But I do have to disagree with how you said unpolished or bad ideas can't sell, even with good marketing and decent competition. I've seen people sell complete garbage like hot cakes. They didn't market it as garbage, they marketed it as something with value. Case in point, the "Pet Rock" that sold like no other back in the 1970s. It was just a rock in a orange box, probably one of the most stupidest ideas to have ever existed. I'm not saying Galvanic deck is a dumb idea, I'm just making a point.  :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:02:55 AM by Brandon.B »

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »

Robert Butler

A Galvanic Clip?  Easy there Evan lol.  Sean has great ideas and I fully support them.  I feel like his deck should have made it through but it wasnt time yet.  But I love to mess with you Evan.  A Eco Galvanic clip= no.... A Galvanic Clip: time will tell.  But dont count your chickens before they hatch.  It may not me in the cards :)

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

But I do have to disagree with how you said unpolished or bad ideas can't sell, even with good marketing and decent competition. I've seen people sell complete garbage like hot cakes. They didn't market it as garbage, they marketed it as something with value. Case in point, the "Pet Rock" that sold like no other back in the 1970s. It was just a rock in a orange box, probably one of the most stupidest ideas to have ever existed. I'm not saying Galvanic deck is a dumb idea, I'm just making a point.  :P

I didn't say that all "bad" ideas fail - the odds are simply against them.  You want garbage that sells, look at any Merz67 deck!

The Pet Rock was actually a very clever bit of marketing.  It wasn't the rock so much that was being sold, but the concept, the whole bundle - the packaging, the little "nest" in the box to hold the rock, the humor-filled "care instructions" booklet, even the smoothness and simple coloration of the rock itself...  It was more than simply a rock in an orange box.  Not the most useful thing a person could buy, but then again, so are most tchochkes people put on their shelves to decorate with (and collect dust!).

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

So everyone I would like to show you the final version of one of the court cards. Here is a download link so you can view the detail:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8YMT5US5

Keep in mind all the court cards in this deck will have this theme.  Each in its own unique way but staying true to the original Bicycle court cards. For this card, the original had the crown and sword....so does mine. For the queen she will be wearing the head piece as well as holding a mechanical flower etc etc

Hope you like it : D

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
I think u should start with a fresh idea go back to the drawing board because didn't u say it failed the first time to me this looks like a child's deck sorry bro only my opinion   :-\

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

What exactly makes it a child's deck? Just wondering your thoughts on that and what parts you personally don't like. Maybe it'll help

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
like the whole robot theme doesn't really catch my attention .

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Ok well going into this I understood that some people may oppose of the theme or designs. Thanks though for the input sorry this didn't fit your needs : /

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
If it's not your kind of thing, don't get it. Simple as that.
I'm not a big fan of the theme either, but I can see the effort put into it and the general quality of the work. It's a nice design. Just not one that appeals to everyone. Nothing does.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:28:51 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I think Frost is Hybrid (the troll), he just changed his user name.  I wouldn't sweat anything he has to say.

I think the new court cards are much better but I really wish you would change the indices and pips; I really think they look wrong with the design.

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

At the standard goal, the pips and font style will remain as is, but if the goal reaches a certain tier they will be changed

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 02:16:56 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
i agree with u guys i'm not saying that he didn't do a good job i'm saying if he wants to make a deck that every body will want to have to make it cooler why do u think it failed the first time because people didn't like the theme that's why i didn't fund it but i think your a great artist and designer its the theme of your cards that i don't like.. :o