You are Here:
Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards

Author (Read 31722 times)

Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Hows everyone's new year so far? I wanted to catch everyone up on the Galvanic playing cards progress. Yes unfortunately the first time around my Kickstarter page failed. No worries though, a second Kickstarter launch will happen within the next 2 months. Please follow me on Facebook by search Galvanic Playing Cards and make sure to like the page to get updates! : D
As of right now I retouched the current joker, ace and back designs to give it a little more umph. As an artist trying to showcase my skills, this project will happen no matter how many times I try!

Thanks!
Sean Whelan
Graphic Designer
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'd really love to see some of the updated designs!

And heres the link to the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galvanic-playing-cards/319403934741156

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Hey Sean!

I hope your new year is going great! It's good to hear that progress is being made on this deck! I look forward to seeing the updates you've made. The first looks we got were awesome and I'm sure the changes you've made have really added to the deck. I'm sure we'll all be watching this one closely.

Any word on the custom court cards?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Ill be uploading the new joker and ace designs to the facebook page in a few minutes. The court cards?? well heres the good news for everyone: custom court cards will be added to the deck for the basic goal! If the goal goes over the funding I will again break it down into tiers such as upgrading the stock, finish etc etc. But the basic goal will have custom court cards regardless. Pictures of them won't be uploaded online for a few weeks though.

A side note on the new joker and ace designs: there isn't a huge change but the changes are very subtle. I just put more wow into them. Ill explain once I upload them on facebook : P

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yes! Sounds awesome! Im really excited to see the new designs. Have you decided on the stock and finish is the goal is met at the lowest point?

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thats where you guys can help me out if you follow me on the Facebook page. For the basic goal I was thinking of just the standard High Quality Bicycle stock as well as the Magic Finish. For me personally the standard stock is amazing, great control, quality, handling etc etc. However, if I get enough votes to change the stock for the basic stock by all means I will do that. I will listen to the fans.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I think part of the reason of your failure the last time was the lack of custom courts. Not too many are going to back what that can't see...keep that in mind and look to your predecessors kickstarters...they showed custom courts, not just talked about them.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The reason the Kickstarter failed was because it didn't have custom court cards, and it launched when there were another four card Kickstarters running already. That's just suicide.

I suspect you won't be too satisfied knowing this: In the next three months I know of four decks hitting Kickstarter. You're going to have to be better than the others this time around by a long run. I think you can do it!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here is the pic of the updated joker

"Joker Change Log: redid the middle orb, change the lighting for the outer orb as well as the static, gave the eye a sleight gradient, changed the overall lighting to the joker character, fixed the bottom right "J" (faced it the correct way), retouched the orb in the work Joker....many changes but again all very subtle : P " - Sean Whelan

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It sounds like we should see the court cards before the Kickstarter goes live though! Which is a good thing for sure. I think that those will really boost your projects status on Kickstarter.

@Alex I can't wait to see the other decks on Kickstarter! Any news you can release?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Yes you will definitely be seeing the court cards before I launch the page : P

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here is the updated Ace of Spades

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Some are obvious like Tendril and Ornate. the others I have been asked not to share yet.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If I'm totally honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Jokers. While they fit the theme nicely, and definitely have the right idea behind them, I'm not fond of the bolts of energy/lightning/light coming out of the hands. I'm not sure why, it just looks a little odd. Maybe unrealistic? I'm not too sure - sorry I can't give any constructive feedback on that point. But that doesn't mean I don't like the Jokers - just that they're probably my least favourite part of the deck.
But the reason why I really want to get this deck is the back of the cards. I absolutely adore the design, and everything about it. It's just such a nice, intriguing back.
You can definitely count me as a backer. :)
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
nice really exicted to see the new back design

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Way to go Sean, keep at it.  I know exactly how you feel with being passionate about your project and being dedicated to making it work. Just keep working the design and details and you'll get it there.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Really love to get my hands on one of these, saw it on kickstarter and wondered why it wasn't successful then i read the comment.. can't wait to see the customed court cards! love the design, the joker on the other hand, really matches the deck design and all but seems somewhat 'gentle' round body and all, but it still fits the deck theme very nicely, good luck with kickstarter! you've already gained a backer ;)
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I look forward to backing this again when you get it Kickstarted.

Some nice "stretch" goals, in my opinion:

* Upgrade from Bicycle to Aristocrat, from Aristocrat to Bee - or possibly get the variant Aristocrat that's used in the Tally Ho deck; they handle extremely well.

* Nowhere to go up on the finish...  But you can upgrade the box.  Embossing is a popular option, and another possibility is upgraded paper akin to what was used on the EATCT box (from CARC) or the black Bee Stingers (from Theory11).

* Metallic inks are always a fan favorite for a stretch goal.

* When reaching a good stretch goal, a bonus deck for orders over $X would work.  Even better, an extra deck for every $X invested.  Invest $X, get one deck more; invest $2X, get two decks; for $3X, get three extra decks, etc.  This encourages more investment for the bonus decks, as long as $X is high enough to to keep you from getting creamed on the cost while not so high that it feels too hard to attain or too much in invest for just one bonus deck.

* Art prints, uncut sheets, posters: all make fine stretch goals or rewards.

* Free shipping is a nice stretch goal (domestic only).  For international, give them a discounted shipping rate, and/or a higher stretch goal for free international shipping.

* Info, teaser posters, even a free deck - of your NEXT project - might be a good reward or stretch goal.  This assumes you have another project to follow this up with, which I believe you do.

*Maybe offering the deck in more than one color as a big stretch goal would be cool.  Perhaps you can make a red version, or green, or even yellow.  It's better to offer extra colors up front rather than offering them as the "second version" deck, because then people moan about what a lack of originality a simple color change is - while secretly many of them would actually like more than one color!  Two colors works great for creating poker gift sets!

* Some of the deck designers around here have been teaming up with a guy who designs bamboo deck clips with custom laser engraving - they're a good deal cheaper than any metal clip I've seen, and they should be excellent to use, so there's a possible reward/stretch goal.  Offer plain ones as a reward or a reward add-on, then offer upgrades to custom engraved with Galvanic images as a stretch.

Most important thing before offering any reward or stretch goal - crunch the numbers and see if it works for you financially.  You don't need to go totally over the deep end with the upgrades; just a small number with the appropriate stretch goals would be fine, I'm sure.  If you go over your highest goal, there's nothing stopping you from creating a new stretch goal with a new bonus feature.

Another recommendation: many "first time deck makers" are realizing what a helluva chore the actual shipments can become.  Poke around and see if you can find an affordable order fulfillment service to handle that end of the dirty work for you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
A Galvanic Eco Clip? That would be really cool. You should look into that!

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thanks Good@Sabacc! I definitely keep that in mind. Also you get to see a glimpse as one of the court cards on the Facebook page : P  keep in mind designs are not final

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks Good@Sabacc! I definitely keep that in mind. Also you get to see a glimpse as one of the court cards on the Facebook page : P  keep in mind designs are not final

I think that's a gorgeous start for the king, but you should include more detail and lighting.  Having the entire king character in shadow is not as visually interesting as seeing him in all his colors.  Use drive belts or drive chains as sashes and belts!  Incorporate cogs into the design!  Maybe pop open an access hatch and show some exposed circuits/wires!  You can really have a lot of fun with this design, you just need to cut loose a bit more.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I agree it's a great start but the all-black look isn't as interesting as it could be.  Plus, you definitely need to customize the pips, they look completely out of place here.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Wow, epic card designs, love them!  :D

Edit: Just saw the backs and I want this deck right now! They're amazing!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:11:04 AM by Derek911 »
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thoughts? Would love as much feedback possible to help me create the court cards! : D