You are Here:
Introduce yourself

Author (Read 6713 times)

Introduce yourself
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »

dlaura26

• Newcomer
Hi,
My name is Laura Bennett and I recently joined.  My mother was a longtime member of the Chicago collectors group and more recently was a member of this group when the two merged.  Her name was Dorothy Douglas and she had collected cards her entire life.  She was originally from Cincinnati and her great aunt worked at the American card company and would bring her cards.  When she retired she took it up again and had a large collection when she passed away last June.  I have subsequently inherited her collection.   I plan to keep some of it, but can't possibly keep all of them.  I joined to learn more about them.  I am retired from the mental health field and live in Denver. 

Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Welcome Laura,

what a nice story. I bet there're some awesome gems in that collection. Feel free to share some pictures and you'll find some great fellows in here that can give you infos on a lot of them.
- anima sana in corpore sano  /  What a joy to roam this valley of broken souls -

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 05:50:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Nice to have you here, Laura.  Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »

dlaura26

• Newcomer
Hi,
Here are a few pictures of some of the cards that I have been able to go through.  My mother had a number of games too: bridge sets, rook, Asian games, canasta, etc.  I did find foreign card decks, lots of promotional/advertising decks, airline and transportation, animals,  places and travel, mini decks and cards for children.  Most of the decks seem pretty old, a few are quite fragile.  I literally have hundreds of decks. 

My mother liked going to flea markets and antique stores and adding to her collection.  She did have one deck of Navajo playing cards.  She was contacted by the University of Arizona who somehow found out she had them.   They wanted to study them, and she ended up donating them for a value of $1800.00!  They were quite the find.    Card collecting, and genealogy, were her hobbies when she retired 20+ years ago and now I have it, and am not sure what to do with it all.  They are fun to go through.  I plan on keeping some, and selling the rest.  It is a fun hobby, but space limitations prevail.  Laura

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 06:34:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You might be interested in our club that runs the forum, 52 Plus Joker.  We hold an annual convention in October and every member is entitled to a dealer's table.  This year, it will take place in Pittsburgh; next year, in Niagara Falls on the New York side.  Members come from all over the country, with a smattering from Canada and other parts of the world, to look at each other's collections, make trades and sell decks as well as other playing card-related memorabilia.  It's a great deal of fun - I even got my wife to come last year and she had a pretty good time!  Convincing her that she was indeed a playing card collector was the difficult part - she kept claiming she wasn't, because she only collected specific kinds of decks, while I argued that once you have as many as she does (about 30 at the time), that yes, she was indeed a collector!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 06:48:10 PM »

dlaura26

• Newcomer
Hi Don, 
Thank you for the information.  I would be interested in attending either, or both, conventions.  I just worry about the virus and whether travel will be possible.  If I can come, I will be there.  What kind of attendance do you usually have?  Do you have panels and discussions?   What kind of cards are people interested in? 

Yes, 30 is a collection, and your wife is a collector.    I have hundreds, which I think makes me a hoarder.   :)  Laura

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Don, 
Thank you for the information.  I would be interested in attending either, or both, conventions.  I just worry about the virus and whether travel will be possible.  If I can come, I will be there.  What kind of attendance do you usually have?  Do you have panels and discussions?   What kind of cards are people interested in? 

Yes, 30 is a collection, and your wife is a collector.    I have hundreds, which I think makes me a hoarder.   :)  Laura

Hello, Laura,

The attendance naturally varies year to year.  While close to a hundred would be normal pre-pandemic, it's very hard to judge what it will look like post-pandemic.  In fact, we're hoping we'll still be able to even have the convention this year; it will depend on what restrictions if any will be in effect in Pittsburgh by mid-October.

YES, we do have panels and discussions, as well as raffles and auctions and deck premieres, including an annual club deck release, each year designed by a prominent artist in the field and produced by the Expert Playing Card Company.  Lectures are often given by scholarly club members on a particular topic of interest in vintage decks, while some are present by artistic club members who have created decks of their own, explaining the process they went through when creating and implementing their designs.  We also talk about general club business - what's going on in the club, what direction things are taking, etc.

As far as what kinds of cards - anything that conforms, even if a little loosely, to the international standard, and a few decks here and there that don't.  Some collectors specialize in antique decks from far and wide, some dating back centuries.  Some prefer decks that are merely "vintage" - roughly defined as anything from early 20th-century to up to twenty years ago.  Some are fanatics of modern decks, made within the last 20 years or so.  Naturally, there's a lot of overlap in people's collections - it's uncommon to find someone who's that much of a purist in their area of expertise.

We also have people who collect "singles" - individual cards rather than entire decks.  They see it as a more affordable alternative, and most such collectors are more interested in the artistry of the card backs, especially in many of the older designs.  And there are people who collect related ephemera - anything with a design that has a playing card theme to it.

And there's also a number of people with "uncut sheet" collections - allow me to explain: when cards are made at the factory, the first consideration is the paper, which is actually called pasteboard because it's a sandwich of two layers of stock, sometimes embossed with a pattern to allow for better slip of the cards, and held together with a layer of glue, usually infused with graphite to make the cards opaque.  From there, the paper is either cut into individual sheets and fed into a sheet-fed press, printed a sheet at a time at high speed, or for larger-volume print runs, an entire roll large enough for 10,000+ decks is loaded into a web press printer and the pasteboard is printed first, then cut into sheets.  These deck sheets are usually fed into a cutter that cuts them into strips, then the strips are fed into a die cutter that punches the cards out of the paper.  But some sheets are taken right off the printing press, called "uncut sheets" - they have the entire deck of cards on a single sheet of pasteboard that's approximately 22 inches wide and 26 inches long.  People collect these uncut sheets for their beauty, often mounting and framing them, but then the issue becomes whether you display the front to see the faces, the back to see the card backs, or you get creative and find a way to display BOTH!

So yes, there's a wide variety of different kinds of collectors out there, and many of them attend our conventions at some point or another.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »

dlaura26

• Newcomer
Hi Don,
Thank you so much for all the information.  I don't believe that my mother had a specific type that she liked to collect, other than she liked things that were old.  She primarily had decks, but still had a vast "single" collection.  She would trade individual cards with friends when she was young, so most of those would probably be quite old. 
I would like to attend in Philadelphia, pandemic allowing, in October.   Hopefully, I will see you then.  Laura

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Don,
Thank you so much for all the information.  I don't believe that my mother had a specific type that she liked to collect, other than she liked things that were old.  She primarily had decks, but still had a vast "single" collection.  She would trade individual cards with friends when she was young, so most of those would probably be quite old. 
I would like to attend in Philadelphia, pandemic allowing, in October.   Hopefully, I will see you then.  Laura

We have an entire group of collectors that are into singles.  They might like seeing that collection.

The conventions in Pittsburgh, not Philadelphia.  I think that's the other side of the state.