You are Here:
Hello from Florida

Author (Read 6856 times)

Hello from Florida
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »

smallwins

• Newcomer
Hi!  I have been collecting playing cards for a couple of years now.  I have frequented this and other forums all the while and have learned a great deal. Thanks to all the people who post, you are heroes!

I mostly go to charity shops and pickup whatever decks they have, wait for clearance at Walgreen's, and buy new released cards.   I have gotten a few decks from kick starters also.   I have been practicing sleights and flourishes but I am terrible at them.  I live in Florida near Daytona Beach which has a pretty great magic shop.  I have been getting more gaffed decks recently.

I am interested in playing cards because they represent an unspoken design, chance and iconography creating order, imperfect information and the art of manipulating assumed outcomes. My wife and cats think I am crazy.  I am a 40 something year young man. Currently I pass time watching magic tutorials and cardistry videos on YouTube.   I look forward to pretending like I know what I am talking about here :) 

What else?  Any questions let me know. 

-Chris

Re: Hello from Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:51:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi!  I have been collecting playing cards for a couple of years now.  I have frequented this and other forums all the while and have learned a great deal. Thanks to all the people who post, you are heroes!

I mostly go to charity shops and pickup whatever decks they have, wait for clearance at Walgreen's, and buy new released cards.   I have gotten a few decks from kick starters also.   I have been practicing sleights and flourishes but I am terrible at them.  I live in Florida near Daytona Beach which has a pretty great magic shop.  I have been getting more gaffed decks recently.

I am interested in playing cards because they represent an unspoken design, chance and iconography creating order, imperfect information and the art of manipulating assumed outcomes. My wife and cats think I am crazy.  I am a 40 something year young man. Currently I pass time watching magic tutorials and cardistry videos on YouTube.   I look forward to pretending like I know what I am talking about here :) 

What else?  Any questions let me know. 

-Chris

Stick around long enough, read some of the posts, you won't have to pretend - you'll know!  :))

It helps if you consider joining 52 Plus Joker.  The two club publications alone are worth the price of membership - only $25 a year, less if you buy more than one year.

Interesting that you're getting into gaffed decks.  I happen to be a custom deck gaffer...  (evil grin!)

Welcome to the forum.  Make yourself at home!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/