Hello!

Author (Read 2353 times)

Hello!
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:06:57 AM »

Daniel

• That's unexpected O.o That's what she said, kinda

• Facebook:
Hey there guys!
I'm still very new to all this as I only started collecting cards this year in late Jan.
I think I'm more of a magician but i try to do some cardistry at times.
I'm pretty much learning slowly as I do not have any books or dvds on magic or cardistry.
I pretty much learn everything I know off the web and you guys may think that it's bad because I didn't spend any money but I'm still studying and asking my parents to pay for them would not be fair, so I save up my allowance to get what i need. And as of right now, I'm pretty much spending them on cards because there are so many awesome decks in the market.
Anyways, I hope you all welcome me to this community as it's great to have people of the same interest to talk to  ;)

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:03 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Welcome to the Discourse man .. that the way  to go save up your own money and buy the thing which you need .. that is what i am doing now .. i am also trying to look for as many jobs as possible as now is school holiday .. trying to earn as much money as possible so i can buy the stuff i want and not relying on my parent

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
Thanks man, but my school's starting soon  :-[ I should have gotten a job too. all those new decks and dvds are getting expensive.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:36:00 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Welcome to the Discourse!
As a magician, make sure you take a trip to the Magical Cardistry Bonanza. You'll learn a lot from the experienced there!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:05 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
my school holiday just started .. ytd i got a chance to work .. i got $50 for giving out 2000 flyer .. although it was tired like hell but i think it is worth it .. i have also asked my brother to introduce some work for me and he say that he will try asking .. and normally the job he find for me it to just sit at a shop and look after it for the whole day and i can do whatever i want .. so i decided to bring my laptop and a deck and go to youtube and learn as many magic trick and flourish ..  i am now also trying to sell a bit of my collection so i can afford more deck ... normally i have 1 open deck and a couple of sealed deck i am trying to sell some away .. maybe you can try my method

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard, Daniel!

Since you're in school and on a tight budget - DON'T go crazy with the cards.  Sure, there's a ton of cool decks out now and coming out soon, but as a hobby, it's a real luxury.

Find yourself a decent, reasonably-priced deck that's available locally and has decent performance and durability.  Buy a few packs and get practicing with them.  I don't think any of the classic card greats went bananas trying to get a rare X deck or a limited-edition Y deck because they HAD to have them...  Depending on climate, style and personal preferences, any of these would do just fine: Bicycle Rider Back, Streamline, Aladdin, Tally-Ho, Bee, Aristocrat Banknote reprints, Hoyle Shellback, Aviator - these are all decent-quality decks, in regular stock, not sold as a limited edition (the Aristocrats might be, but they're cheap enough and common enough for now at least).

As far as learning magic, you don't need every latest and greatest video - try a few libraries near you for some books on magic or pick up one or two cheap online.  If you want to see a video, there's always the Internet.

Sit back and relax, take a load off and have fun!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
Thanks! Yup i know what you mean but those new decks coming out are SO awesome looking and it's so hard to not just grab them right off the shelves! Just look at the vortex and the mana decks. I bet you got you got yourself a few too. haha. but yeah, I'm planning to get a few of those decks then just live on bikes, aladdins and tally hos which are probably much cheaper. and for learning, i'm trying to learn as much as i can on youtube for now as i save up to get dvds.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:07 AM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
my school holiday just started .. ytd i got a chance to work .. i got $50 for giving out 2000 flyer .. although it was tired like hell but i think it is worth it .. i have also asked my brother to introduce some work for me and he say that he will try asking .. and normally the job he find for me it to just sit at a shop and look after it for the whole day and i can do whatever i want .. so i decided to bring my laptop and a deck and go to youtube and learn as many magic trick and flourish ..  i am now also trying to sell a bit of my collection so i can afford more deck ... normally i have 1 open deck and a couple of sealed deck i am trying to sell some away .. maybe you can try my method

hey that's kinda cool. i tried getting a job from this agent but he wasn't replying my messages or calls and i don't have enough of a collection to sell anything haha.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks! Yup i know what you mean but those new decks coming out are SO awesome looking and it's so hard to not just grab them right off the shelves! Just look at the vortex and the mana decks. I bet you got you got yourself a few too. haha. but yeah, I'm planning to get a few of those decks then just live on bikes, aladdins and tally hos which are probably much cheaper. and for learning, i'm trying to learn as much as i can on youtube for now as i save up to get dvds.

Books can have more info in them and are at times cheaper - though I recognize the value of the video visuals as well.  I use both.

Remember to combine your replies into a single post instead of making consecutive posts.  It keeps the thread cleaner.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »

Daniel

• Facebook:

Books can have more info in them and are at times cheaper - though I recognize the value of the video visuals as well.  I use both.

Remember to combine your replies into a single post instead of making consecutive posts.  It keeps the thread cleaner.

ok I'm going to try books too. and thanks for the heads up on the post thing

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Welcome Daniel! I hope youre enjoying it around here! It's great to have a new face :)

So what are some your favorite decks in your collection so far?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
Welcome Daniel! I hope youre enjoying it around here! It's great to have a new face :)

So what are some your favorite decks in your collection so far?

Thanks! I sure am. My collection is pretty small. but well i really like the Jaqk Cellars deck from theory 11. the design is so unique don't you agree?

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:43 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
welcome Daniel to the discourse, you will learn alot of stuff in here like i did i hope you enjoy your stay, and any question you have post them here or look around probably we already answered it .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:21:29 PM by Frost »

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse! THis is a great place to be as a beginner in collecting, magic, or cardistry! There are tons of informed people on here that love to share their knowledge. Enjoy!

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
still don't know how to quote more than one person so...
@frost thanks! and yeah i'm pretty sure most of my questions are answered and i should search before posting. :P
@magicaddictz I'm sure there are. i watch your vids from time to time on youtube.  ;)

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse! :D

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@magicaddictz I'm sure there are. i watch your vids from time to time on youtube.  ;)
Thats awesome to hear! Thanks for watching  :)

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey Daniel, welcome to the boards! :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
@frost thanks! and yeah i'm pretty sure most of my questions are answered and i should search before posting. :P

It's the same quoting one person. Just press "insert quote" when you reply, or "quote" when you're doing quick-reply.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
Welcome to the Discourse! :D

Thanks! :)

It's the same quoting one person. Just press "insert quote" when you reply, or "quote" when you're doing quick-reply.

ohhhh thanks!!!  :D
Hey Daniel, welcome to the boards! :)

thanks! it's great to be here!  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:16:57 PM by Daniel »

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Hey Daniel welcome to the DISCOURSE!

I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Its nice that you are saving your own money.allowance to buy the things that you want. ^_^ Thats the way to go!
But don't be pressured to get them all at once.

Anyway, there are tons of topics here that I know you will surely find interesting. And if there is a particular thing that you are looking for, the SEARCH option is your best friend. ^_^ But if you cant find what you are looking for, then please feel free to start the thread. ^_^

Got questions or have concerns? Don't hesitate to PM any of the Admins and/or mods. They would be more than happy to help ya out!!!

So I'll be seeing you around then!

cheers!
Lara Krystle "Lane" Novales
http://laranovales.wordpress.com

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »

Daniel

• Facebook:
Hey Daniel welcome to the DISCOURSE!

I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Its nice that you are saving your own money.allowance to buy the things that you want. ^_^ Thats the way to go!
But don't be pressured to get them all at once.

Anyway, there are tons of topics here that I know you will surely find interesting. And if there is a particular thing that you are looking for, the SEARCH option is your best friend. ^_^ But if you cant find what you are looking for, then please feel free to start the thread. ^_^

Got questions or have concerns? Don't hesitate to PM any of the Admins and/or mods. They would be more than happy to help ya out!!!

So I'll be seeing you around then!

cheers!
Lara Krystle "Lane" Novales
http://laranovales.wordpress.com

Haha Thanks! Everyone's been so nice :) yeah saving up is pretty time consuming and those awesomely designed cards just keep coming! :o
Yeap, most of my questions have already been answered anyway haha. and i'm pretty the admins are friendly :)
seeya too :D

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:14:58 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yeah there are tons of cards being released left and right and its a pain to the back account. I can hear my wallet crying just thinking about the upcoming releases of other decks... plus the ones I really want to get.

MEH

Anyway, glad you are having fun and it is nice to hear that everyone it being a good boy