« on: November 07, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Yes, another Cthulhu Playing Cards Game

Project by Cthulhu Project, Barcelona, Spain
First created, £20,000 goal
£9(about $14)/1 deck, £14($23)/1 deck & game tokens, £62($99)earlybird-£70($112)standard for Collector's Edition
Shipping is included for USA and UK
Bicycle branded, but no pic of tuck.

Original Cthulhu cards game with unique artwork, sanity tokens to play and collector's figure to store the game. Printed by Bicycle®.

The Cards

The Sanity Tokens

The Collector's Edition

The deck is kept in the rear part of the figure, inside Cthulhu’s wings. The figure can be opened easily to store the game cards inside. This makes the game turn into an impressive collector’s decoration!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:07:50 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Cthulhu Playing Cards Game (KS)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:21:47 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Definitely an interesting looking design. I don't get what the tokens are for though

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Cthulhu again
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:54:26 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
It had been more than a week without any new cthulhu decks on KS and I got really worried. Now I'm calm again.  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:06:47 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Definitely an interesting looking design. I don't get what the tokens are for though

I'm guessing the Arkham Horror and Arkham Asylum (not Batman!) board games.

EDIT: Corrrection. The tokens are used in a game they have devised which uses the playing cards. A 'get rid of all your cards before you lose all your Sanity points'-kinda game.  ???
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:09:49 AM by ronyo_faukx »
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Well I think that the faces and backs look alright, but those indices are so hard to read. I couldn't imagine trying to actually play a game with these.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »

magnacat

the backs don't really impress me very much, although the "SD cthulhu" look for the faces is kinda cute...
i'm having a hard time even considering paying $14+ when i've really only seen three cards, and the tuck case looks like what the postal service uses to ship the cards in, not any actual beginning of a concept to consider.
i really liked the AD call of cthulhu deck, and having that available if you don't already own it makes this one hard to take seriously. i could see my japanese girl friends loving those cute versions of these characters, but as said, the pips in the indices are not very kind on the eyes.  ???
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:15:42 AM by magnacat »

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The Pros:
  • Cute hand-drawn design - makes it more unique

The Cons:
  • One-way back design trying to look like a two-way.
  • Not really cheap.
  • Tuck box, anyone?
  • Isn't the title "Bicycle Cthulhu" already taken?  Y'know, by one of the nearly-a-dozen OTHER Cthulhu decks?
  • Listing US$ prices in the body text/images and UK£ prices in the goal and rewards is a little deceptive - unless you can guarantee that there will be no fluctuations in the values of those two currencies relative to each other for the duration of the project...which no one really can do...it's like trying to stop time or swim up a tall waterfall...

Besides, it looks a little SKETCHy...  Get it?  Sketchy?  Like a sketch?  Oh, come on, you have no sense of humor...  :P
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Well, they posted a pic of the tuck.  Happy to see the "Bicycle" name, but it doesn't look like they'll get funding

CBJ

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Yeah, I just saw that when I visited KS.  I wasn't down with this deck until I saw that tuck.  Now I'd be in but it seems moot.  Turned the reminder on anyway. 

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yeah, I just saw that when I visited KS.  I wasn't down with this deck until I saw that tuck.  Now I'd be in but it seems moot.  Turned the reminder on anyway.

I think that's partly why it's so hard to get funding. If it doesn't already look like it will be successful, people just don't pledge.

So let me ask you, if you like it, why not just pledge now even if they don't fund, what do you have to lose?

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

I think that's partly why it's so hard to get funding. If it doesn't already look like it will be successful, people just don't pledge.

So let me ask you, if you like it, why not just pledge now even if they don't fund, what do you have to lose?

Easy, the pledge price of a deck.  As I said I really only like the tuck.  If I'm on the fence as a backer and I click the reminder I can think about it and I won't miss the project.  If I back now I will forget about it until the email comes that my credit card was charged.  I understand your viewpoint as a designer but with the amount of money I spend on decks I have to make damn sure I want the thing.  Come to think of it should rethink my $40 pledge for AD's PB decks.   ;)  Kidding, I appreciate the debate as well as designers coming here to get the pulse of the market. 

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That makes sense. I was thinking that you were already on the side that knew you wanted it but didn't want to pledge because it didn't look like it was going to fund.

I tend to watch these forums a lot even if I don't say much. I think it's important to understand what people want and expect to make the best possible products. I just wanted to jump in on this one if I could make a difference since I really like their unique take on the Cthulhu mythos.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Ok I get your concern now.  I have, on several occasions, backed projects I was pretty sure wouldn't fund just because I thought they were well done.  From that perspective I would agree that you have nothing to lose.   Thanks again for chiming in.  And great work!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:25:42 PM by kdklown »

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I can say that from a project creator's view, there is huge value in seeing a pledge even at $1. It let's us know that even if a backer can't go all in on a project, that they still think that what we are doing has value. That's a big reason that, as a backer, I always try to put something towards those projects I think are cool or innovative.

Thanks for the compliment as well. I'm really excited with how the PB project has been progressing.