0 (0%)
Love It
0 (0%)
Hate it
5 (71.4%)
Dont Care
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Binary Playing Cards Version 1 by Jared Low (KS)

Author (Read 4918 times)

Re: Binary Playing Cards Version 1 by Jared Low (KS)
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I do love all the Creative Criticism and do listen to it, on the other hand I am hearing more of what is wrong rather on what you feel is good. I keep hearing about my Ace of Spades being odd one out but isn't that the case in just about every deck? Isn't the Ace of Space the one that is always different? The mention about someone else art I do understand and I did not say it was mine, I have already talked to the artist. I am not a artist so I have to use what someone else does. I also understand that you can please some of the people all of the time and all the people some of the time but you will never please all the people all the time. There is no way that everyone will like this and someone will always see it a different / better way. I am still currently trying to find a happy medium from your ideas in input but it all still seems on the negative side with little positive. Also like I have mentioned this is meant to be a Novelty and not a Professional Bicycle or USPCC designed deck.

The deck had some flaws, as we saw it.  We offered ideas to rectify them.

Yes, the Ace of Spades is usually a stand-out card different from the rest.  But if the deck's art is two-dimensional, the AoS is usually two-dimensional as well.  Same applies for a three-d deck.  Your 3D AoS looks like the square peg you're trying to jam into the smaller, round hole.

Fine, you're not an artist.  Not a big deal.  But if you use another artist's work, get the proper copyright issues squared away.  USPC will not even touch a deck design that doesn't have all of its intellectual property rights cleanly and neatly arranged in advance.  Smart printers follow suit - no one likes to expose themselves to a lawsuit.

Don't knock novelty decks!  Do you realize how many "Square Decks" and "Crooked Decks" have been sold over the years?  The folks who developed them made a fortune, despite how most collectors would turn a blind eye to them.  They're not always the best-quality, best-made cards out there, but if you're selling millions of them, does that really matter?  (The answer is "No, I like bringing wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank on a regular basis!")  The Pet Rock, Rubik's Cube and Tamagotchi were novelties - and made more money than I could count in my lifetime.

Not every novelty does that well.  But they don't have to in order to turn a good profit.  You just need that combination of right design, right place, right time.

Sample Ace's and Back per Justin's request.. The back Is not all that great but it fits the binary theme cause it just 1's n 0's. The court cards I do agree with but I cant seem to find a fit that i like. I did change them to ACSII images instead, but yes they are still typical type Courts. I thought that would leave the overall deck geeky but still give classic recognition for those that dont read binary. It was also my reasoning for putting the words like king and queen on the Court Cards. A friend suggested something like a tablet for the Jack , Laptop for the Queen and a Server for the King.

Your friend's suggestion is very sound.  I'd consider a smartphone for the Jack - laptops and tablets are rapidly becoming the same device these days, so it will "future-proof" your design a little.  Of course, traditional courts in ASCII also works perfectly fine and are timeless, as future-proof as an idea gets.  Perhaps the "gadget edition" will be your 2.0 deck?  Also, as Justin mentioned, make the courts larger - look at how big they are on a standard pack of cards and aim for something around that size, something that fills the card face more.

I notice that you're now using ASCII art for the courts and the card back.  One issue may crop up in both cases - the level of detail may be too high to capture with offset printing.  Make the ASCII characters a bit larger and use larger numerals for the back.  And using a horizontal bar in the middle to separate court halves went out of style about a hundred years ago or more except perhaps in Parisian decks or French tarot decks (the game tarot not the divination system tarot).  Also, consider a change to the colors on the back.  It's a contrast issue - a design with low contrast will end up looking like mud, especially when it has so many tiny details to capture.  Make the backs jet black with white numerals, like you'd see on an old-school Radio Shack TRS-80 or a MS-DOS (pre-Windows, pre-GUI, pre-mouse) computer.  Without a doubt - REMOVE the deck name from the back of the cards.  The proper place for that would be on the Ace of Spades.  All it does for your design is make the back one-way, thus unsuitable for competitive card games.  Wise poker players never use a deck with a one-way back.

I mentioned that eight bits was a lot for a specific reason - no one wants to fan their cards that wide or, if you print it vertically, have to look that far down just to be able to read your indices.  While you are trying to appeal to a geek audience, you always want to try to keep the indices as easy to read as possible.  Four-digit binary is plenty, and people will easily be able to figure out that 10112 or 1110 is a jack, 11002 or 1210 is a queen and 11012 or 1310 is a king - it's not rocket science.  Some card marking systems already employ such a system - and if you were interested, you COULD make a marked deck out of this by using the binary numerals on the backs in a subtle way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:46:08 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 03:55:45 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the input, I hope im not coming off as rude in my reply's. The back I agree about the one-way thing, didn't think about that. Using objects or "non" traditional courts are good, but my question is if using like a cellphone as a Jack how does anyone know thats a Jack and not a king or a Queen? I know all the pieces to this puzzle are here just trying to put them in the right places.

AoS Better ? See KS preview Below
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:58:47 AM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the input, I hope im not coming off as rude in my reply's. The back I agree about the one-way thing, didn't think about that. Using objects or "non" traditional courts are good, but my question is if using like a cellphone as a Jack how does anyone know thats a Jack and not a king or a Queen? I know all the pieces to this puzzle are here just trying to put them in the right places.

AoS Better ?

It now looks like it belongs in the deck with the rest of the cards.  Why the "penciled-in" look, though?

If you were being genuinely rude, I wouldn't be typing this post right now!  Relax, I don't bite...usually...  :))

When you mentioned the idea of laptops, servers, etc., I thought you meant having the court character either holding the item or (in the case of the server kings), seated next to it as if it was on a desk.

It still could be used as you suggested.  In terms of processing power, they're listed in order from smartphone to laptop computer to network server.  Jack to Queen to King!  If you want to really drive it home, each device has a large-enough screen that you could add a "photo" of the traditional version of the court right there - a Jack's image on the smartphone, a Queen's image on the laptop, etc.  This would also allow you to include the traditional design conventions used by some poker players for identifying cards, such as one-eyed Jacks, the Suicide King, the Bedpost Queen, the Man with the Axe, etc.

I still firmly think that a four-bit rank is the better way to go.  The cards do have to be practical to use, or even a geek won't bother.  It takes up less space and the extra bits are completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:33:16 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I have it noted about the 8 digit code and the code through the middle. And the back is got to change too. Maybe a circuit board back? But that sounds cheesy to me. I like the idea of making a back that could be marked. My most focus is on court cards first. Also what do you think about the added look of original suits to the Aces?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:07:36 AM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I have it noted about the 8 digit code and the code through the middle. And the back is got to change too. Maybe a circuit board back? But that sounds cheesy to me. I like the idea of making a back that could be marked. My most focus is on court cards first. Also what do you think about the added look of original suits to the Aces?

I love the theme and have been looking for a proper tech themed deck.  I also like alternate suit concept.  However, some of your cards look too minimalist and the courts/jokers have way too much going on and too many fonts/styles.  I also think your renders not having rounded corners make it look amateur...work on presentation next time as well (take a close look at KS pages for well known decks - you need good images as well).

The Zbyte deck below uses the standard digit AND the binary equivalent, not that I suggest making it look like that, but you can do both is my point.  Also, the largest value you need is a 13 for King, maybe 14 if you don't use 0 for Jokers which is also how Zbyte handled it.  However 1111 = 8+4+2+1=15 so really you only need 4 digits...why does the King show as 01001011 = 128+8+2+1 = 139 and whatever that HUGE number in the center??? 

In addition to the more recent code:deck, below are images of Zbyte and Compucards decks from many years ago.  I loved the back of the recent Grid 2.0 which was a great improvement over original, but the courts and faces ruined that one for me.  So yeah, a circuit board style back can work well.  I've also seen a few others, but the are either too geeky or just touch on tech.  I personally would prefer to see a well done tech themed deck without being too retro or cheesy.  Perhaps that also might expand your reach past the hardcore geeks.

If you can rework things to be more accessible/playable and also more consistent and clear design (without being just minimalistic) you might have something.

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
@ecNate , the Numbers on the court cards stand for K in king and J in Jack , the longer readout translates to King or Queen. Its all still being worked on.

KS Preview Link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=eced1684

Not Live, But I posted a NEW Look for the Aces and Card Back.. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:06:00 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@ecNate , the Numbers on the court cards stand for K in king and J in Jack , the longer readout translates to King or Queen. Its all still being worked on.

KS Preview Link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1827355717/1887610088?token=eced1684

Not Live, But I posted a NEW Look for the Aces and Card Back.. Thoughts?

Card Fronts, With or W/Out design ?

Fronts without design in the background.  It really adds nothing and makes it look cluttered to have that there.

Still wondering why the vaguely smoky/sketchy look to the Ace pips.  Just draw them, plain and simple.  When I think computers, binary, etc., the last thing on my mind is something that looks hand-drawn or like a puff of smoke.

The new back is actually not bad.  And with a little work, you can make a marked back - but remember, if you do make it a marked deck, you're cutting down a fair amount of your potential audience.  Most people who buy cards are buying them to play with and prefer a straight deck, no gimmicks or markings.  Consider a marked version as a stretch goal.

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
thanks, im not really going for a marked back, and the added front design was just a trial thing too see what other thought. I agree it add clutter. The added classic pip look is just for the aces because they look to plain otherwise and kind of add a little bit of familiarity.
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
thanks, im not really going for a marked back, and the added front design was just a trial thing too see what other thought. I agree it add clutter. The added classic pip look is just for the aces because they look to plain otherwise and kind of add a little bit of familiarity.

[headthump target=wall][/headthump]

It's not that they are the classic pip designs - it's that they look like puffs of smoke or something.  Geeks and smoke are usually a sign of danger!  The smoky/smudgy/whatever-you-call-it effect doesn't fit with the rest of the deck.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ace Design Test, Top or Bottom or just Plan solid color pip. The pip can be made a darker black too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:38:37 PM by BinCards »
Creator of BinCards

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Of those designs, the one on top really looks like an ACE OF SPADES.  It's the better of the two.

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:17 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Love the new AoS!! Change the brand font.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 03:02:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Love the new AoS!! Change the brand font.

Agreed - it's a cheesy PC font and looks like something better suited to a RenFaire than a binary deck.

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »

BinCards

• BinCards

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks, I will be away for awhile so this has to go on hold for a bit but I will continue to work on it
Creator of BinCards