Author (Read 8925 times)

BRuT by Uusi
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:59:18 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
The next era of Uusi cards    :D

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: BRuT by Uusi
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:38:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Are you sure?  When I last spoke with them, they were done with cards, or at least with their own card projects.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:39:07 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:36:02 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Are you sure?  When I last spoke with them, they were done with cards, or at least with their own card projects.

This is Tarot I believe.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This is Tarot I believe.

OOooooooooh.  Now that makes more sense to me...

I really have to give those two a call - maybe later today...

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

This is Tarot I believe.

And don't forget to mention that a poker deck as a stretch goal can be something nice ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:42:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This is Tarot I believe.

And don't forget to mention that a poker deck as a stretch goal can be something nice ;)

Yeah...I've talked with them about it.  They might do other card-related projects, but they're done with making their own designs for poker-sized decks.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Uusi's 7th poker deck 'BRuT' will be a limited edition companion deck to their BRuT Tarot deck. I knew they weren't going to stop at 6.

Project will go live this Saturday at 0800PDT

Edited to correct timezone.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:47:42 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Uusi's 7th poker deck 'BRuT' will be a limited edition companion deck to their BRuT Tarot deck. I knew they weren't going to stop at 6.

Project will go live this Saturday at 0800PST

Justin - you're trying to tell us they're going to release a deck at six in the morning on a Saturday in their time zone?

(And we're on Daylight Time right now, not Standard, so no PST - it's PDT.)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Corrected the timezone, didn't even think about it when I typed it.

Justin - you're trying to tell us they're going to release a deck at six in the morning on a Saturday in their time zone?

What is their time zone? If they are anywhere east of the the west coast it isn't going to be any earlier than 8..?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:49:05 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:57:09 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Corrected the timezone, didn't even think about it when I typed it.

What is their time zone? If they are anywhere east of the the west coast it isn't going to be any earlier than 8..?

Actually, my math was off.  They're in Chicago, Central time zone, so it's 10:00 CDT, 11:00 EDT (New York) and 15:00 UTC.  I got word from Linnea about it this morning.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Love the art direction this deck has gone, reminds me of something you might see come from a high end department store or fashion designer, which I absolutely love. Can't wait to see more.

Actually, my math was off.  They're in Chicago, Central time zone, so it's 10:00 CDT, 11:00 EDT (New York) and 15:00 UTC.  I got word from Linnea about it this morning.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off and then miss the project opening.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
incredible...uusi and dead on paper are the two projects I go all-in on. 

:)

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 11:29:10 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
No Question about it, I completely agree with you.
Uusi definitely has a unique style which you don't find easily.

Full support from me as well  :D
Back for more

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think this will be a breakthrough project for them - it's their first "non-poker" deck!  There's an entirely different audience that goes after tarot decks and there will be a lot more interest in this project than you'd normally expect to see from an Uusi design.  I predict this will be a very huge hit when the dust settles, possibly their biggest.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hmm actually with by releasing the Tarot deck and poker deck at the same time, made me think a little.
I finally decided to get the Tarot deck as well just as part of the collection for this design.
I am pretty sure a lot of us think the same way as well. It will be a pity if we get the poker deck but not the tarot deck.
Back for more

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:00 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I think this will be a breakthrough project for them - it's their first "non-poker" deck!  There's an entirely different audience that goes after tarot decks and there will be a lot more interest in this project than you'd normally expect to see from an Uusi design.  I predict this will be a very huge hit when the dust settles, possibly their biggest.

Don, I'm not too familiar with Tarot decks, but other than fortune telling, are there certain card games that can be played with the deck?

I pledge almost anything from UUSI (7/8) thus far and I really enjoyed the different decks they put out so far. And the redwood items are really amazing to own.  :D

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, I'm not too familiar with Tarot decks, but other than fortune telling, are there certain card games that can be played with the deck?

I pledge almost anything from UUSI (7/8) thus far and I really enjoyed the different decks they put out so far. And the redwood items are really amazing to own.  :D

The French play a card game called "tarot" that uses a deck basically identical to the cartomancy deck, with the exception that the artwork is different and that the "trump suit" (the Major Arcana in a cartomancy deck) doesn't have names for the cards, just numbers.  It's a trick-taking game, to the best of my knowledge - similar in some ways to spades or hearts.  The French game deck also doesn't usually have art for the "spot cards" - the non-court cards of the Minor Arcana - beyond the basic pip layouts we all recognize today as the International Standard, albeit in a larger format.

It's believed by some historians that the 52-card deck predated the 78-card deck - something I'm inclined to agree with, considering the cost of playing cards before mass production.  Many historians also believe that playing cards were used for playing much earlier than they were for cartomancy.  But there are arguments to the contrary as well.  To my knowledge, the earliest uses for cartomancy weren't until sometime just before the European Renaissance (circa 15th century CE), while playing cards themselves in some form or another may go back as far as 9th-century CE China.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
John McLeod has a page dedicated to Tarot games on Pagat.com. Nearly all European countries had the basic tarot game (a point-trick game) with their own tarot decks. From my research, I've found that the use of the tarot deck for games came much earlier than it did for cartomancy. The major arcana was just a 5th suit used as a permanent trump suit in early decks.

My first tarot deck was actually the one that came with the video game "Dishonest", even though I was interested in them before that, and it came with rules to play a game called "Nancy". It's a totally custom deck with custom Major and Minor Arcana and 4 suits based on the game.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't really collect Tarot decks, I only have a few, but I really like the idea of a hand gilded Tarot deck, if I had a little extra free cash on hand I would definitely get one, but I can only imagine how gorgeous it will be for those who get it. I thnk that would be a really wonderful touch for people that use them spiritually more than as a games deck.

From my research, I've found that the use of the tarot deck for games came much earlier than it did for cartomancy.

All of the research I've done seems to point to Tarot decks originating as playing cards as well, with the spiritual aspect appearing much later. But nothing I have found on the subject has been definitive.

My first tarot deck was actually the one that came with the video game "Dishonest"

Mine as well =D I grew up with my mom doing simple Tarot readings for herself as an introspective activity and have always really liked Tarot, but didn't add one to my collection of playing cards until I saw the Dishonored deck and was a fan of the game so I figured 'why not'. I now have three or four Tarot decks, I'm not interested in collecting them seriously like poker decks, but I like picking up the occasional deck.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:17:06 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular

I play tarot... on my computer! Tarot is a very important game in the history of card games. Basically every game that uses trumps owes its existence to tarot. Tarot is not one game but many and Hungarian tarokk is often considered the pinnacle of tarot games but I may be biased. There are tournaments here is Budapest but there are more tournaments in France where French tarot is the second most popular card game.

You can download some tarot games here and here.

Rules can be found here, here, and here.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Don did you pledge for a gilded deck?  I missed out on the gold gilded so I'm reluctantly on the copper gilded reward tier.

Anyways if anyone backs out of their gold gilded deck pledge, lemme know before hand :)

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member

Anyways if anyone backs out of their gold gilded deck pledge, lemme know before hand :)

There's still 6 left of the 24k gold tarot deck...

Where you specifically looking for a poker deck?

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don did you pledge for a gilded deck?  I missed out on the gold gilded so I'm reluctantly on the copper gilded reward tier.

Hey - the copper gilding is a lot more uncommon!  It might retain its value better in the aftermarket.  While the numbers between gold and copper exist in the same amounts for this project, I've never seen any other project with copper gilding, while gold and silver have been used elsewhere.