You are Here:
ICON Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 9177 times)

Re: ICON Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
There doesn't need to be a big trend following it, it can take 1 person. £3k is less than pocket change to some people. I personally don't find it to be suspicious activity.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
There doesn't need to be a big trend following it, it can take 1 person. £3k is less than pocket change to some people. I personally don't find it to be suspicious activity.

I think the problem is that spike might be coming from the same source using different accounts (as mentioned). If the funding from those backers falls short, the entire project fails despite kickstarter saying successfully funded. I would feel a bit more comfortable knowing there was more consistent backing for longer periods of time.

Like I also mentioned before, based on what I see (AIP) this project has some strong industry internal support that could be what's spiking and funding of this project. D&D has never been shy about backing projects. It would make a nice addition to AoP.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:02:44 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »

volantangel

• True Member
Isnt the saying "If its too good to be true, it probably is."

Is it worth the risk ? Im not answering that question for you, ask yourself.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Hey everyone, Benji here! First of all, sorry for the very late reply, I would of liked to have jumped on sooner but as you can imagine I have been pretty busy recently. This seems like a cool forum! You now all have my full attention and I would like to try and address everything I can that has been mentioned.

I would like to thank of all of you for all of your compliments and also criticism. Everything is constructive and I take all of your thoughts and comments into account. I would like to first talk about the issue involved with Dylan. I would like to stress that there is nothing remotely strange about what he has chosen to do here. Dylan wanted to back 4 bricks and did not realise that you could just add the money onto your first pledge so instead he created 4 separate accounts and sent me a message when he did it to explain. Here it is -  http://prntscr.com/3ko861 -

I am sorry I couldn't address this sooner as I know this could be perceived as somewhat sketchy and that it can make ones head spin in circles trying to work it out but it really is that simple.

Now about me and the project. There is nothing I am hiding here and scamming anybody is completely out of the question. I am 15 years old, I spent 8 months working on this project because I love the idea of having my own deck. I put it on Kickstarter and asked for the minimum amount I needed to cover all my costs, no less, no more. I use Kickstarter all the time to back other projects and have connected my public Facebook profile to avoid people thinking this is any type of scam. You will have to take my word on this matter.

In terms of the sudden jump. A lot of this was actually pledged by a good friend at Pure Imagination Projects in the hope of selling them after. He believes in the project and has followed it since the beginning. It is very generous and I really cannot thank him enough.

I hope this answers most of the questions /issues in this thread and in messages and comments I have received outside of it. I have posted this on here and also on United Cardists as there is a similar thread going on over there. If you have any more questions or comments please don't be afraid to ask and I will try and get back to you ASAP.

Thanks so much,
Benji

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Welcome to the forums, Benji, and congratulations on getting the deck funded! I have no doubt in your sincerity, but I want to give you one little piece of advice - keep up the communication with the backers. You might run into problems along the way that can delay the delivery to the backers, but keep them informed regularly (even if there's really nothing new to tell them) and most people will be OK with it. I wish you all the best.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The kind of people who think that £3,000 is pocket change are not usually the kind of people who microfund something.  They simply FUND it, period.

Benji, I'm glad that you decided to stop by and illuminate things for us a little.  Good luck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?

The kind of people who think that £3,000 is pocket change are not usually the kind of people who microfund something.  They simply FUND it, period.

That's a very bold generalisation. A wrong one at that.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 11:39:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's a very bold generalisation. A wrong one at that.

Do you know many people for whom £3,000 is pocket change?

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 05:52:33 AM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
Yes, Don. I know some entrepreneurs whom are multi-millionaires. Some of them are just business acquaintances and some of them I have dinner with on occasion. I'm not saying I have a lot of experience with rich people but I know some of them have micro-funded projects when they have plenty of money to fund it completely if they wanted to. One person I know funded a project just because he liked the guy. The idea didn't work but he continued to fund him on that basis.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 08:06:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yes, Don. I know some entrepreneurs whom are multi-millionaires. Some of them are just business acquaintances and some of them I have dinner with on occasion. I'm not saying I have a lot of experience with rich people but I know some of them have micro-funded projects when they have plenty of money to fund it completely if they wanted to. One person I know funded a project just because he liked the guy. The idea didn't work but he continued to fund him on that basis.

I think - no, I know - we're getting off-topic here.  The point was that the odds of a single individual suddenly dropping £3,000 out of nowhere are a bit on the low side, when considering the number of people online who can easily pass on that kind of funding compared to the number of people who can't afford it or simply won't spend it - I think even you would have to admit that.

The moment you start talking about multimillionaires (or to use the more globally-meaningful term, "high net worth individuals" or HNWIs) investing in Kickstarter projects, you're talking about people living way on the narrow side of the Bell curve, financially speaking - perhaps 13 million in a world of 7.2 billion, or 0.18%  The number is growing, but not as fast as the population as a whole, so the percentage is actually shrinking, making the odds even that much less likely.  If you want to make Kickstarter investment theories based on odds that long, you might as well posit that Bruce Wayne himself made the investment and Clark Kent reported it to the Daily Globe while Peter Parker took photos - statistically speaking, it's almost as likely.

Now, unless there's something you care to add about this particular deck project specifically and not its moot, theoretical investors, please take this to a new topic in the Conversation Parlor.