You are Here:
Rarebit Playing Cards by Theory11 - Now in Two Colors

Author (Read 15005 times)

Re: Rarebit Playing Cards !!! Next Theory11 deck ?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
I had egg cream when I was in New York :)

Anyway, to answer you previous post, I heard somewhere (think it was on a YouTube video) that you have to spend $100 to get a free deck of rarebits, although this is unconfirmed. May have just been the case of someone making up numbers.

EDIT: looking at its menu, it's pretty hard to make $100 for a single person unless your buying a couple bottles of wine, are a serious alcoholic or have got the bad munchies

I think that was referring to how to get it from T11.  I've heard nothing about how to get it from the restaurant.

And it would be hard for one person, for for a party of three or more having food and alcohol (two if they love to drink), it wouldn't be hard at all.  For one person to do it, he'd have to be hungry, thirsty and a top-shelf drinker.  It's a classier version of diner comfort food, and as such is only slightly elevated in price.  For that region, though, it's possible they'd see it as a little costly - the cost of living there is nothing like it is in New York or most of the other major cities of the country.
Well, since I'm from Charleston - and live here now, I decided I'd give them a call and find out.  The answer is exactly as everyone has posted already: they are an 'incentive', not for sale.  To get a deck, you have to spend $100 in one visit, it's not a cumulative thing with a tally card or something.  Simple enough - take the wife and a couple of friends and $25 each wouldn't even be a challenge, although the prices are very reasonable.  The reason I never connected the deck with the restaurant here is that they changed the name a few years ago (apparently 6 or 7 now, from what I read) and bought what used to be "Big John's" downtown.  Right on the upper King Street "tourist trap" area near the visitors center, not even a challenge.  I've got one, but I'll soon have another, and if they are worth a darn, I'll pick up a few over the next couple of months, maybe drop a couple on the board here when I get my post count up.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Well, since I'm from Charleston - and live here now, I decided I'd give them a call and find out.  The answer is exactly as everyone has posted already: they are an 'incentive', not for sale.  To get a deck, you have to spend $100 in one visit, it's not a cumulative thing with a tally card or something.  Simple enough - take the wife and a couple of friends and $25 each wouldn't even be a challenge, although the prices are very reasonable.  The reason I never connected the deck with the restaurant here is that they changed the name a few years ago (apparently 6 or 7 now, from what I read) and bought what used to be "Big John's" downtown.  Right on the upper King Street "tourist trap" area near the visitors center, not even a challenge.  I've got one, but I'll soon have another, and if they are worth a darn, I'll pick up a few over the next couple of months, maybe drop a couple on the board here when I get my post count up.

It doesn't appear that you'd have much trouble finding interested parties!  Thanks for the info.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
If you're picking up a few over a few months then I'll be keeping an eye on your posts, as long as they aren't extortionately priced I'm in the market for a deck :)

-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

Phegget

If you're picking up a few over a few months then I'll be keeping an eye on your posts, as long as they aren't extortionately priced I'm in the market for a deck :)

-Benny

Same! :)
uwotm8.

Re: Rarebit Playing Cards !!! by Theory11 -in copper
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
theory11

4 hrs  ·

A little Bit of something Rare. Coming soon in Copper.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:39:42 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Not digging the coloring on the back of the card. Tuck looks good

theory11

Liked · 40 mins  ·

Rarebit Copper. 11/28.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The back color is not what I was expecting from the tuck. I'm not as excited as I used to be. It's not that I don't like brown back decks. I do, it's just not what I was expecting at all. Maybe it will grow on me over the next week, if I quit looking at the tuck... Probably not.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:36:51 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:04 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
The back color is not what I was expecting from the tuck. I'm not as excited as I used to be. It's not that I don't like brown back decks. I do, it's just not what I was expecting at all. Maybe it will grow on me over the next week, if I quit looking at the tuck... Probably not.

My thoughts exactly. I don't mind browns as they tend to grow on me a fair bit, but the tuck reminds me too much of the monarchs. You see this luxurious looking gold, and get some pale yellow and white lines instead  :(
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 04:42:15 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It's nice to see a company not using the standard gold and silver metal alloys. I actually was thinking last year how nice a new print of unlimited White Centurions would have looked with metallic bronze (bronze age centurions).

I like the color. The deck design is very attractive. I really don't know what some of you expected, they said it was copper. That's what copper looks like!

I say, keep your Gold Rarebit deck in the cellophane and play with these.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:43:20 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
The back just looks very flat to me. I get that it's supposed to be copper, but it just looks like a dull brown to me.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

Re: Rarebit Playing Cards by Theory11 - Now in Two Colors
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Previous edition was better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 01:04:36 AM »

PaperMasta

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Anybody know how limited this new edition actually is?

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Anybody know how limited this new edition actually is?

Nope.  They haven't said in the advertising.  Have you tried contacting Customer Support?

BTW: welcome to the PCF!  Head over to the "Introduce Yourself" board and make a topic so we can get to know more about you!

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
No idea what the print run is on this either. Haven't been too interested in it beyond the tuck myself. Tuck is pretty great. The closer the holidays come, the more I tighten up on my spending habits as my loving lady's spending habits amp up haha. If it was may, I think I'd probably pick up a handful of them.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 02:38:11 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
The back just looks very flat to me. I get that it's supposed to be copper, but it just looks like a dull brown to me.
My thoughts exactly. I think an orange colour would have been a better choice...maybe...

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Metallic foil copper card backs would be nice.

I really, really love copper.

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 11:56:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Metallic foil copper card backs would be nice.

I really, really love copper.

Sure, would have looked great.  If only USPC stamped foil on their cards...  :))

Not to mention it would be ungodly expensive.

But yeah - copper's cool.

You might like the red Bicycle Synthesis deck from Albino Dragon, if you don't already have it.

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't, but I will definitely check in to it, thanks for the heads-up. I've seen it mentioned before and keep forgetting to check it out.

I think about the dream of copper foil stamping due to the Exquisite Bold (EPCC) gold stamping experiment recently. I'd love to win the lottery just to produce some freakishly high end collector decks at reasonable prices, when money isn't an object and I don't need the profit. That would be fun!

In the meantime, I'll just look at my copper Rarebits and dream "what if?"!

Just curious...is there a realistic copper (at least more so than what's shown above) in the realm of printing that may not be being used due to expense, or is this copper as good as it gets with current technology/chemistry? It's a bit different with me as a collector. Since many of my cards never leave their tucks, the tuck has far more weight in my purchase decision than back color. These are great for me as a collector because I have the copper foil that I love so much whereas a lot of folks are disappointed in the back color, which I understand.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I don't, but I will definitely check in to it, thanks for the heads-up. I've seen it mentioned before and keep forgetting to check it out.

I think about the dream of copper foil stamping due to the Exquisite Bold (EPCC) gold stamping experiment recently. I'd love to win the lottery just to produce some freakishly high end collector decks at reasonable prices, when money isn't an object and I don't need the profit. That would be fun!

Just curious...is there a realistic copper (at least more so than what's shown above) in the realm of printing that may not be being used due to expense, or is this copper as good as it gets with current technology/chemistry? It's a bit different with me as a collector. Since many of my cards never leave their tucks, the tuck has far more weight in my purchase decision than back color. These are great for me as a collector because I have the copper foil that I love so much whereas a lot of folks are disappointed in the back color, which I understand.

I can think of a couple other decks with Copper foil on the tucks  ;)

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 02:12:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I mentioned the Synthesis deck because at the time I mentioned it, Albino Dragon was still having a nice sale on damn near everything.  And it's shiny and coppery, too!

As far as foil, you can see that copper is possible - it's just not as popular.  While the price of copper's gone up in recent years, given a choice between pennies-per-pound copper and the more expensive silver and gold, most deck makers opt for the silver or the gold.  I don't know if there are copper metallic inks for printing, but again, since it wouldn't be as "deluxe" or as shiny, even if it's out there it's passed over most of the time by the more precious metals.

The 52 Plus Joker deck has foil on a large area of the backs of each card - the silver deck with slipcover sold for $45.  There's a gold one in a simpler box coming soon from CARC via Expert.  This will be likely be one of those odd cases, just like in the military, where silver is more valued than gold!  (When comparing US commissioned officer rank pins that are identical except for color, the silver one is higher-ranked than the gold one by one pay grade.)

Fun Trivia about copper and copper coinage...

The rising cost of copper reached the point in the late 1970s/early 1980s where a single penny contained barely more than $0.01 worth of copper (largely due to inflation), so in 1982 the US Mint started using a zinc core with a thin copper coating for a total copper content of only 2.5%, except for a small commemorative run in 2009 for Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday.  You can tell the difference between them by weight (zinc is heavier) and sound (copper coins make a high-pitched ring when dropped on a hard surface, while zinc pennies make more of a "clunk" sound).

Before zinc was chosen, a limited test run of over 1.5 million pennies were struck but never circulated in the early 1970s, all made with an aluminum core, as the US Mint was already aware that rising copper costs would create the need for a substitute.  The aluminum pennies were rejected for two reasons.  First, they were prone to causing mechanical problems in the vending machines of that era.  Second, if swallowed or lodged in an airway, the metal was difficult to detect using X-ray machines due to having a similar radiodensity to human gastrointestinal and respiratory tissues.  The pennies were destroyed, except for one single coin which was donated to the Smithsonian Institute.

While it is illegal to destroy US currency and coinage, many people still do melt down older pennies to sell for the copper content to a recycling plant, as well as copper wires stolen from street lighting systems, railroad yards and anywhere else that it's not under guard.  Unfortunately, it's still the cheapest viable metal to use safely in electrical wiring - cheaper alternatives are either poor conductors or liable to melt or burn when carrying a strong electrical load high in amperage.

Circulating copper and copper-coated coins are also the best breeding ground for viruses and germs transmissible via touch or fluids, which is why you should always wash your hands after handling money, especially before you touch your face or your food.

Lastly, in the early 1940s, copper pennies were replaced by zinc-plated steel for a brief period as the copper was in high demand by the US military in World War II.  These coins bear dates ranging between 1942-1944, though none were struck in steel before 1943.

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that stamping/printing foils have been made out of real gold/silver/copper for many decades now. I believe that it's all simulated metal placed onto plastic films using vapor deposition, and then those rolls of "foils" are used for stamping. High-end gilding uses powdered leaf/metal in some cases (such as Uusi Classic and Scarlett Tally-Ho), but can also utilize simulated metal.

Good info, as I'm also a currency, coin, and bullion collector. To add a tidbit...in 1944/45, the US Mint used recycled spent shell casings left over from the war to make cents.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that stamping/printing foils have been made out of real gold/silver/copper for many decades now. I believe that it's all simulated metal placed onto plastic films using vapor deposition, and then those rolls of "foils" are used for stamping. High-end gilding uses powdered leaf/metal in some cases (such as Uusi Classic and Scarlett Tally-Ho), but can also utilize simulated metal.

Good info, as I'm also a currency, coin, and bullion collector. To add a tidbit...in 1944/45, the US Mint used recycled spent shell casings left over from the war to make cents.

Honestly, I'm not sure about that.  "Simulated metal?"  Why simulate it?  The amount of the metals used for foil is incredibly small and the metals in questions are highly malleable.  Affixing it to a plastic film makes sense, much like how old-school mechanical typewriters no longer use inked ribbons but instead use a plastic film with the "ink" on one side - as the key strikes the film and then the paper, the ink substitute sticks to the page where the key struck it.  If metallic gold paint contains a small amount of actual gold (which it does), why wouldn't real gold be used in gold foil?  Substitutes wouldn't have the same warm, brilliant shine to them.

Uusi didn't use powdered metal.  They glued down to the edge of the cards a very fine, very thin layer of nearly-pure gold, 23.5 carats out of a possible 24.  While gold is expensive, a layer of foil that thin and small will only contain a tiny amount of gold, probably measured in hundredths of an troy ounce if not less.  With a troy ounce costing around $1200 at present, a hundredth of a troy ounce is still $12 worth of gold, plus the cost of the process and profit for the seller.

You're right about the pennies - the need for copper was high enough that the spent casings were recycled.  The famous "steel pennies" were actually a steel core coated with zinc.

More trivia:

What weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?

Scroll down for the answer.

The pound of feathers is heavier.  Sounds dumb, I know, but when using old English measures, precious metals and gems are measured in troy weights while everything else is measured in avoirdupois weights.  A troy ounce is nearly three grams heavier than an avoirdupois ounce, but there's only twelve such ounces to a troy pound instead of sixteen.  In metrics:

Advoirdupois:
1 ounce = approx. 28.35g
1 pound = 16 ounces = approx. 454g

Troy:
1 ounce = approx. 31.10g
1 pound = 12 ounces = approx. 373g

Now, I think we've hijacked this poor topic enough for now, don't you agree?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:50:38 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
"Now, I think we've hijacked this poor topic enough for now, don't you agree?"

Rofl! :-)

Received my Rarebits on Saturday and I really like them, well the tuck at least. The copper color is very true and distinctive. The tax stamp seal is kind of plain though. After Stranger and Triplicate, I am really, really, REALLY liking the old time stamp look, so much so that I have started collecting the tax stamps separately. Something along those lines would have been a classy touch on this deck, but I will survive without it.

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Received my Rarebits on Saturday and I really like them, well the tuck at least. The copper color is very true and distinctive. The tax stamp seal is kind of plain though. After Stranger and Triplicate, I am really, really, REALLY liking the old time stamp look, so much so that I have started collecting the tax stamps separately. Something along those lines would have been a classy touch on this deck, but I will survive without it.

I still remember a few years back when the trend was for no tuck seals at all.  When custom seals came out, they became all the rage among collectors.